Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: St Kilda Boardwalk  (Read 3120 times)

michswiss

St Kilda Boardwalk
« on: November 15, 2010, 02:59:12 am »

I'm just finishing up a short return trip to Melbourne in anticipation of moving back at the end of the year.  These are a couple of experimental shots on the boardwalk in St Kilda.  Sorta landscape, but I included a few people given you guys like the way I capture bipedal mammals.  I think I might have a little more PP to do, but I'll wait on some feedback first.

1)

2)

Rob C

Re: St Kilda Boardwalk
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 04:00:10 am »

Now you're talking!

People is where you shine, though you ain't done badly with birds either!

Rob C

michswiss

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 05:36:19 am »

Thanks Rob.  I'm going to keep working on larger landscape-type images for a couple of reasons.

First, there are shots such as these that require some sense of landscape-derived composition that people (and birds) complete.  Certainly a more common situation in Australia than the main cities in China.  Secondly, I'll be trundling around the NZ South Island for 2-3 weeks at the beginning of the year and I'd like to get something more than nice (although hopefully, really nice) family shots.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 07:10:59 am »

Someone should donate you a tech camera - something that would make you want to lick that wood planks in the foreground ..
No joke!
Good stuff!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:42:49 am »

Now you're talking!

People is where you shine, though you ain't done badly with birds either!

Rob C
+1!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 12:09:29 pm »

Grrrr... Jennifer, you keep making shots I wish I'd made. Rob's right. It's obvious that people are where your heart is, so that's where your camera should be also. This is first class stuff. Keep it up.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 12:38:17 pm »

I love the first one. I can feel the emotion from the woman standing there with her children and nothing around her but boardwalk planks and seagulls. And the rythm of the sea as background music. 10/10 

michswiss

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 04:35:39 pm »

Thanks guys.  Sounds like this experiment worked reasonably well. 

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 01:39:09 am »

I like both of them, separately. But put together they also talk about how the feeling of the picture changes when the people in it change; very interesting.

michswiss

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 08:04:44 am »

I like both of them, separately. But put together they also talk about how the feeling of the picture changes when the people in it change; very interesting.

You are so right.  For these sort of images I've tended recently to take long public transport rides to where I want to shoot and walk around just watching and possibly taking a couple of shots.  Then, I'll sit in one or two spots for a while and look around eventually settling on a composition and wait as the images move past me.  I sat in this spot for about an hour.  There's an extra image in the galleries and many more in storage.

For what it's worth, most of my "street" images come at the end of one of these sessions.  I just sorta get tuned into what's happening.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:07:58 am by michswiss »

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 09:32:50 am »

You are so right.  For these sort of images I've tended recently to take long public transport rides to where I want to shoot and walk around just watching and possibly taking a couple of shots.  Then, I'll sit in one or two spots for a while and look around eventually settling on a composition and wait as the images move past me.  I sat in this spot for about an hour.  There's an extra image in the galleries and many more in storage.

For what it's worth, most of my "street" images come at the end of one of these sessions.  I just sorta get tuned into what's happening.

Not the first time I have read this "first choose the background, then wait for the action" advice, even a renowned weeding photographer (cannot remember the name, sorry) wrote something similar once; a very good approach to photography, in my humble opinion... and almost a philosophy of life.

tokengirl

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 11:44:28 am »

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 04:49:40 pm »

Not the first time I have read this "first choose the background, then wait for the action" advice, even a renowned weeding photographer (cannot remember the name, sorry) wrote something similar once; a very good approach to photography, in my humble opinion... and almost a philosophy of life.

I read in a monograph of one of the Parisian 'street' merchants - probably HC-B, Doisneau, Ronis or someone of that family, that that's the way to do much of it: you pick the scene and the characters will walk into it for you if you are patient enough.

Perhaps those steep Parisian steps helped slow down the actors...

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up