Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video card for NEC P221W?  (Read 4742 times)

CraigK

Video card for NEC P221W?
« on: November 14, 2010, 07:32:05 pm »

I purchased this monitor as a package with sensor and SpectraView II software to perform calibration but have yet to make it work.  SpectraView says No Communications with NEC P221W. I love the display on the NEC monitor but my NVIDIA GTX 260 video card, SpectraView II software, and P221W are not speaking to each other for calibration. I spent an hour with an NEC Tech and we could not figure out why. He sent me some diagnostic software which I ran and returned the results to him. Based on the results NEC said it must be a bad monitor and so we replaced it.  Just tried the new one and I get the same results. I am running Windows 7/64 bit and have the latest drivers for the monitor and video card. The available older versions of the video card drivers don't work either. What video card are you using with SpectraView II/NEC P221W monitor and Win 7/64 that works?  Thanks for your input.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Video card for NEC P221W?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 07:56:00 pm »

ATI Radeon HD 5700 and it works find; no problems at all with this monitor and SV-II

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:27:21 am »

There are currently problems with the Nvidia 260.xx driver releases. Install a pre-260.xx version if available and then be sure to reset the display configuration in SpectraView (Edit menu->Display Configuration) so it can detect the new configuration.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 11:44:40 am »

I don't think the problems are limited to NVidia cards.  My brand new NEC PA271W has been having Display Port communications difficulties with my ATI FirePro V4800, too.  An October, 2010 driver seems to have resolved the issue.

CraigK

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:45:16 pm »

Will,

The oldest drivers I could come up with were from 11/20/2009 (8.17.11.9562) and 6/26/2009 (8.15.11.8627). The Display Configuration panel does not recognize the monitor for either of these. I just calls it Display 1.  At the bottom of the SpectraView II main screen under Display is says "Display 1 - NEC MultiSync P221W (Unsupported)".

Craig

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 11:46:01 pm »

If it says the display is unsupported, then check what version of SpectraView you are using. 1.1.07 is the latest, and the P221W was supported from 1.1.00.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

CraigK

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:42:34 pm »

Will,

I have been using SpectraView version 1.1.05 that came with the monitor.  It just so happens that version 1.1.07 was added to the download site yesterday 11/15/10.  Unfortunately, when I gave it a try there was no difference.  I found the note you mentioned in the readme file for this version.

Nvidia video drivers "No Communications":There is a known issue with the Nvidia video drivers versions 260.xx that prevents SpectraView from communicating with the display via DDC/CI. If you experence a "No Communications" error when using an Nvidia video chipset, try downloading and installing an older version (prior to 260.xx) of the drivers. Nvidia is aware of this issue and is expected to have updated drivers available soon. If you are using a MultiSync PA series display, please connect a USB cable from the host PC to the display to avoid this issue.

My monitor is not a PA series and so it sounds like I may have to wait for Nvidia to update their driver.  I'll keep experimenting and checking both the nVidia and NEC sites.                      Thanks, Craig

AlleG

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 02:24:23 pm »

Hey!
i has same problem, with Windows 7 Ult x64 and 260.99 drivers (and GTX460 card)
Drivers nr 258.96 resolve my problem.
U can download them under archive/legacy drivers.

bohdank

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 09:22:27 pm »

So, who here is connecting their NEC to their video card using Displayport ? I am asking because I am just about to buy the NEC PA241W and the only way to take advantage of the 10 bit panel and internal LUT is by using Displayport. Which video card ? It appears, other than Quadra, no NVIDIA cards have a Displayport and I refuse to spend the momey for a Quadra.
Pages: [1]   Go Up