Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 20D vs 1D MKII  (Read 2910 times)

mikemilton

• http://www.arttech.on.ca
20D vs 1D MKII
« on: October 23, 2004, 07:37:24 am »

well, well, well (See I said that 3 times in a single post hehehe)

I don't have a 20 (I do have a 10 and a 1Dm2)

There are probably some differences from a sensor performance perspective (dynamic range is one area) but my bet is that they are relatively minor compared to other issues and are unlikely to be an impediment to getting a shot (or even apparent in the final outcome of most shots)

On the other hand:
- multispot metering WILL let you manage your exposure better
- the autofocus is faster, more accurate, and works with slower lenses
   - it also has better area coverage
- tracking is better
- the frame rate is higher

to me these were more significant factors

m

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
20D vs 1D MKII
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 05:47:02 am »

I have both the 20D and 1D MkII. At higher ISO settings, the 1DMkII has less noise although the 20D is a huge improvement over the 10D that I used for a year.

For me the main advantage of the 1DMkII is the large buffer and fast motor drive at 8 FPS. With my "L" series Canon lenses, the 1D MkII is much easier to handle because of its larger physical size and built-in battery pack which provides a 2nd shutter release for vertical format shooting.

That said, the 1dMkII is twice the weight of the 20D.

I just came back from 7 days in Cancun, Mexico and the only camera I took was the 20D with a Canon 28-135 IS lens and the 18-55 lens that came with the body. This was a great combo for vacations because of the light weight, small size and built-in flash on the 20D.

The images were execellent although I have not yet printed any out to 11X14 to compare to images shot with my 1DMkII.

They are both great cameras, but I think for different applications.

My 2 pesos.

Bud James
North Wales, PA
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
20D vs 1D MKII
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 04:21:28 am »

If you're looking to match or beat 6x7 MF, you'll want to get a 1Ds. 8MP will get you close, but not quite there. Since the 1Ds-MkII has come out, prices of the 1Ds have fallen considerably. Something to think about.

Jonathan Wienke

20D vs 1D MKII
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 12:38:08 pm »

That's only true at ISO 200 or lower. Above that, the noise of the Kodaks is so bad that Canon easily wins any head-on comparison. If you only shoot low-ISO, the Kodaks are OK, but if not, the much faster AF and lower noise of the Canon make them well worth their higher price.

Dinarius

20D vs 1D MKII
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 01:22:41 pm »

Just been told that I can buy the Kodak/C from the US with an immediate $1000 cash back. That makes it $3500 instead of $4500 and with the current strength of the Euro, it would cost me (including a 1GB SanDisk card and a card reader and insured USP delivery) €2995.00. A bargain!

Over here the camera costs €4500 without the card and the card reader.

How can I resist?!

D.

bigtraveller

20D vs 1D MKII
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 06:42:59 pm »

Is there a difference between the image quality of the 20D and the 1D MKII. They are both 8mp but is there the sensor in the 1D MKII better?
Thanks

Jonathan Wienke

20D vs 1D MKII
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 02:11:12 am »

Don't forget ruggedness and weather sealing.

Dinarius

20D vs 1D MKII
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 03:35:25 am »

Hhhhmmmm........

So, if I'm shooting (mostly) artwork and packshots in a controlled studio situation, all for reprodution no larger than A5 (90% of the time) I could use the 20D.

Couldn't I?

I don't need to buy a bigger Canon or one of the Kodaks in order to replace my Mamiya RB67, do I?

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius

20D vs 1D MKII
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 05:54:16 am »

Jonathan,

Thanks for that.......

In which case, I'd probably opt for the Kodak. Price is an issue. For the price of the top Canon, I could have the KodakC and a 20D as backup. Not bad.

I have seen a lot of work shot on the KodakN, which is stunning. Easily a match for medium-format, in my opinion.

Seen very little on the KodakC, but I presume it's a match.

As an old Olympus user, I have no loyalty either way. Whichever I choose, I will be starting anew in terms of system. Though the 'L' series lenses are very impressive.

D.

bigtraveller

20D vs 1D MKII
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 05:00:53 pm »

I guess that all means is that there is NO difference between an image from the 20D vs the 1DMKII. I thought that as the sensor was different there might have been a difference the same way the original 4mb of the 1D was often said to be as good as a 6mb from the 10D. I thought that if there might still be a difference eg a 8mb from 1DMKII would be noticeably different to the 8mb from the 20D sensor.

I shoot mostly studio, so decision made.

Thank you
Louis

Dinarius

20D vs 1D MKII
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 02:02:03 am »

bigtraveller,

I also shoot mostly studio, so decision made for me too.

My camera in never off the tripod, so ISO is not an issue.

The Kodak C/Canon 20D combo seems like the way to go.

Thanks all.

D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up