Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southwest in the fall  (Read 3393 times)

jdlevy

Southwest in the fall
« on: February 07, 2005, 07:50:36 pm »

I was in the Grand Tetons at the end of Septermber this past year and the colors seemed to be at their peak:

Oxbow Bend

Hope you find the same.
David
 My

howard smith

Southwest in the fall
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 12:08:54 pm »

Because the weather and roads should be good to the Wave, permits will go early and fast.  I think they are available on line 6 months in advance.  Key is to be flexible in dates and go during the week rather than weekend.  I have never had trouble getting permits, but I go in August when the weather is hot and the rain/roads iffy.

It is too early to predict the fall colors at Jackson.  Due to extreme elevation changes, there is usually something somewhere for a long time.

Khurram

Southwest in the fall
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 11:33:58 pm »

thanks for the feedback.
great pics Brian.
I'm hoping this time i can book my day or two for the wave on the internet. last time i lucked out and got one of the day passes, but i for the last half of my trip i seemed to be fighting my tripod head - my arca-swiss kept on locking up on me.   anyways, i've ordered a RRS ballhead, so i'm hoping for less problems this time.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

Khurram

Southwest in the fall
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 06:24:31 pm »

I'm planning a trip again to the southwest for two weeks (from Sept 24th to Oct 10).

I'm planning on going to grand tetons, moab and page, and possibly monument valley.

i've been to these locations in the past, but both of my previous trips were in the spring.

i am hoping on getting some help for scheduling the best times to get fall colours at grand tetons during this two week period (i.e. first week, or second week of my trip).

i also wanted to know what the usual weahter around page is during this time.  Is the wave still accessible?  are there chances of getting reflections from rain pools left from rain at this time?  how far in advance do you have to book for the wave on the internet?  last time i was there i was lucky to get one of the day permits.

are the slot canyons still open at this time of the year (is there rain at this time of the year at page, which may result in closures)?
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

bklimowski

Southwest in the fall
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 02:51:39 am »

Khurram,

I'm a meteorologist from Northern Arizona, working out of Flagstaff, as well as occasional photo tour guide for the Coyote Buttes.  Our summer thunderstorm season usually ends by mid September, leaving the area mostly dry and warm through October.  You can usually count on dry conditions at this time, which makes the Wave and Coyote Buttes much more accessable than in August, where I've experienced several impassable road crossings due to water over the road/mud/etc.  In Sept/Oct, high temps will likely be in the 60s/70s F.  It's one of the best times to be at the Wave/Coyote Buttes - though water may not be present unless you arrive within a few weeks of the last thunderstorm...  Enjoy!!

Brian

Some of my Wave galleries can be found from here:
http://www.pbase.com/brianowski

Image Northwest

Southwest in the fall
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 02:20:47 pm »

For fall colors at Teton, last week of Sept and first week of October is the usual time frame.  For fall colors in the SW, most places peak about a month later.  My experience has been the last week in October is a good time to find the colors.  High elevations would be a couple weeks earlier, about mid-October.
Pages: [1]   Go Up