Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antarctica - The Crystal Desert  (Read 6542 times)

Antarctica - The Crystal Desert
« on: January 22, 2005, 04:15:26 pm »

Very fine work!

Michael

gwarrellow

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 05:11:13 am »

Congratulations on your amzing trip and wonderful gallery of experiences.  I think that you should try to convert more of them to mono as the one you posted in your message above is great - timeless.

What photo equipment did you pack to support your trip besides the 1Ds MkII?

That's one spooky place I would love to hang out for a few weeks.
Thanks for sharing,
Graham

P.S. I had agreat time looking through your pbase galleries.  We were fortunate to take a trip around the west coast last summer.  We just loved SF!

chris67

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 12:55:31 am »

Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement about my pbase gallery  http://www.pbase.com/chris67.  As to what equipment I brought to Antarctica...well...   My bags were lost by united so I had VERY limited photo gear.  Essentially, the photos were taken by a Canon 1ds Mark II and either the Canon 24-70 or the Zeiss Distagon 21MM lens....all using UV filters and occasional polarizing filters.

As to the photo services, I use both Smugmug and pbase.  Smugmug is preferred for printing (in fact pbase does not offer printing) and pbase for the gallery and community features.  Both are inexpensive and easy to use.

Best regards,

Chris

outerspace

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 12:43:10 pm »

Nice work Chris.  Where and when were you there?   Was it a tourist trip or were you working for someone down there?  Looks like you may have been on the Russian side.  My brother just got off the ice last week after spending 6 ish months at McMurdo Station.  For others interested in the "Great White South", his blog is http://www.dougpace.blogspot.com/
 He brought his new 300d along and has unusual shots posted along with some rabid USC Trojans fan activity and a bit of interesting science.

chris67

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 09:25:27 am »

As to the canon/zeiss combo, I really like it...resolution is extremely good at all f stops.  I do find it hard to focus, however...

chris67

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 03:23:37 pm »

Just returned from 2 weeks in Antarctica accompanied by my 1ds Mark II.  It's austral summer now and the Antarctic peninsula is full of life -- humpbacks, minke whales, penguins, seals, etc.  In addition to the amazing wildlife, the backdrop of glaciers, icebergs, old whaling stations makes this a photographers dream.  The shooting environment was somewhat difficult -- contrast, WB, & dynamic range challenges.  
Some of the pictures are here:
http://www.pbase.com/chris67/antarctica_the_crystal_desert

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 04:49:27 pm »

Very nice portfolio, chris67. I would like to ask you some questions off the board. My email is sergiobartelsman@yahoo.com
Thanks.
Sergio

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 07:16:22 am »

Excellent photographs. I also looked through a number of your other galleries. Same comment. I really much enjoyed as well the night photos on the San Francisco piers and your photos in PNG.

I am interested in the technology and service you are using for posting these pictures. Could you write a few words on how to use these?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

gwarrellow

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 03:02:57 am »

So you really were travelling very "photo light" on your Antarctic adventure!

By the way, is that a self-portrait you just posted  :D
Regards,
Graham

outerspace

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 12:59:44 pm »

Also, how do you like the Canon Zeiss combination?

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 01:34:30 pm »

Excellent work, Chris. Very enjoyable gallery... makes me nostalgic for the last time I was there, in 1991, when there was about twice the amount of ice...  ???
--
David Mantripp
Pages: [1]   Go Up