Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: will lightroom get anything resembling layer masking?  (Read 9632 times)

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
will lightroom get anything resembling layer masking?
« on: November 12, 2010, 02:00:17 pm »

I'm using lightroom for about 80% of my photo editing. Like the program, but it's that 20% that has to go out to photoshop that is a PITA. I've watched Michael and Jeff's video, very helpful, and I picked up numerous tips from it. What I was most interested in is the tools for doing local editing on the image. Lightrooms weakpoint. The current brush and gradient tools work, but they are clunky, and there is the lack of finess that can be achieved with a curve in photoshop. My workflow in photoshop is to do use adjustment layers, and then mask them and paint in the changes where I want them. I'm hoping for similar tools in future versions of Lightroom. Any hope?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: will lightroom get anything resembling layer masking?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 02:35:24 pm »

You never know, but I doubt it. In part that's because LR's design sometimes takes a year zero approach and doesn't try to slavishly replicate what's in Photoshop. And a lot of people don't make nearly enough use of Photoshop's adjustment layers, let alone the ability to mask them.

I'd dispute your contention that the local adjustment tools are clunky. You probably need to use them more and become more familiar with them.

John

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 03:05:10 pm »

If they could integrate a curve with the local editing tools, rather than exposure, brightness, contrast etc, then I would be happier.  Maybe I need to become more familiar with these tools, but so far I'm not overly impressed. Certainly better than what was in the previous versions. The auto masking does seem to work pretty well.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 04:14:44 am »

If they could integrate a curve with the local editing tools, rather than exposure, brightness, contrast etc, then I would be happier. 
I agree it could be more practical for some cases (especially for burning some marginal highlights or dodging deep shadows), but with some practice, the combination of parameters available (ie exposure + with brightness- eg) has already good potential. Try to practice.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 07:58:45 am »

I'm using lightroom for about 80% of my photo editing. Like the program, but it's that 20% that has to go out to photoshop that is a PITA. I've watched Michael and Jeff's video, very helpful, and I picked up numerous tips from it. What I was most interested in is the tools for doing local editing on the image. Lightrooms weakpoint. The current brush and gradient tools work, but they are clunky, and there is the lack of finess that can be achieved with a curve in photoshop. My workflow in photoshop is to do use adjustment layers, and then mask them and paint in the changes where I want them. I'm hoping for similar tools in future versions of Lightroom. Any hope?

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, however you may want to check this out.
I saw on the OnOne Website http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/perfect-layers/  they where releasing a layers add on called "Perfect Layers 1".
This is supposed to work with both Lightroom and Aperture in 64 Bit. It does state you will be able to create layered files in Lightroom or Aperture: http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/perfect-layers/features.html.
Pages: [1]   Go Up