Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there any special lenses to get non-croppe image with digital backs?  (Read 10420 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Are there any special lenses to get non-croppe image with digital backs?
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 09:32:18 am »

Actually, what the hell, just about any crappy lens should be fixable by software nowadays.

At the very least, I'm sure one can get cameraphone quality out of a back with lens and adapter.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 09:32:31 am »

IMO For a $2700 budget the clear choice for panoramas would be a DSLR .. My original rig for this was a D200 with Nikon 10.5 and Stitcher Unlimited. You could probably get this combo for Under $1500 . You could even get a better body and still be under budget.

Dont get me wrong I love MFDB - It just seems like a poor fit for your budget.  I can tell you the shots with the Nikon 10.5 and D200 are Razor Sharp ....I doubt you will retail MF lens image quality with a "Converter" ...Just a guess though.. I have never seen the type of converter you are talking about.

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 09:33:28 am »

Actually, what the hell, just about any crappy lens should be fixable by software nowadays.

At the very least, I'm sure one can get cameraphone quality out of a back with lens and adapter.

Edmund

LOL  ....Too funny

liac

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 09:39:01 am »

Edmund

I used such an adapter and the quality was OK.

ondebanks

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 09:54:25 am »

There are some adapter rings with glass allowing to use M42 thread lenses on Nikon mount bodies. Are there any adapter rings to use 35 mm lenses on MF. Theoretically nothing prevents from building such.

Theoretically, you're right. But look at the huge difference between the registration distances, and you'll see why it is not done in practice:
http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

To put it another way: there are millions of 35mm/DSLR lenses out there. There are hundreds of thousands of MF bodies out there. If such an adapter was practical in price and especially in quality, there would be a huge ready market for it. The fact that there is no such device on the market is telling.

liac

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2010, 10:03:39 am »

It's really strange. I searched in google for a wide-angle converter for MF lenses and could not find a single mentioning about their existence. That's quite weird coz my friend own such for pentacon 6. Probably that was made on special order. I should ask him.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2010, 10:52:10 am »

Theoretically, you're right. But look at the huge difference between the registration distances, and you'll see why it is not done in practice:
http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

To put it another way: there are millions of 35mm/DSLR lenses out there. There are hundreds of thousands of MF bodies out there. If such an adapter was practical in price and especially in quality, there would be a huge ready market for it. The fact that there is no such device on the market is telling.

Ondebanks

Who says there isn't? There are some devices to use Nikon/Canon lenses with a DB. Image circle isn't always sufficient though. Horseman also make conversion lenses. Was a time when conversion lenses were used as reporting aids by a lot of broadcast video stations.

Just because you and I don't like something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

http://www.komamura.co.jp/e/CVL/index.html

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ondebanks

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 11:11:38 am »

Ondebanks

Who says there isn't? There are some devices to use Nikon/Canon lenses with a DB. Image circle isn't always sufficient though. Horseman also make conversion lenses. Was a time when conversion lenses were used as reporting aids by a lot of broadcast video stations.

Just because you and I don't like something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

http://www.komamura.co.jp/e/CVL/index.html

Edmund

Edmund,

That Komura link is for front-of-lens converters. Sure they exist, and Horseman's ones too. I was saying that what does not exist, to my knowledge, is any "rear-of-lens-adapter-with-glass" to make a 35mm format lens reach infinity focus on a MF SLR. And that was in response to liac's "if there are M42 to Nikon converters with glass, why not for MF?" question. S/he had swung the thread away from front converters to a different thing entirely.

Yes as you say, "There are some devices to use Nikon/Canon lenses with a DB" - but that is not with a bulky MF SLR body, like a Hasselblad, interposed between lens and MFDB. Liac's heart seems to be set on a Hassy body. I'm just trying to answer his/her questions as factually as possible. There may be an uncomfortable collision between his/her dream and the reality of available photographic equipment, but we have to be honest about it.

Ray

ondebanks

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 11:40:46 am »

It's really strange. I searched in google for a wide-angle converter for MF lenses and could not find a single mentioning about their existence. That's quite weird coz my friend own such for pentacon 6. Probably that was made on special order. I should ask him.

That would probably be because, as I said earlier in this thread, there's no reason for them to be brand-specific or even format-specific. A front converter for 35mm should behave the same on a MF lens. They're just like filters - independent of the lens used, as long as the filter thread matches.

BTW, take a good look at Edmund's link to Komura just above. Every sample image with a straight-line feature (building, lawn) shows strong barrel distortion. It's a pity. But Raynox claims an impressive 0.9% distortion for their 0.79x converter - http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr7900zd/index.htm. That might be the one your friend has.

liac

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2010, 11:41:40 am »

Don't confuse wide-angle converters with adapter rings. Wide-angle converters are installed in front of the lens and change angle of view. Adapter rings are installed between the lens and the body and do not change angle of view, sometimes they have a glass to provide infinity focusing.
I would prefer 35mm and an adapter ring but you say it is impossible to make such a ring for MF and 35 mm lenses. However, someone somehow made a camera to use 35 mm lenses on MF http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09091503hartbleicam.asp but it is costly and is sold nowhere.

liac

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2010, 11:44:25 am »

I have already visited the link and had to admit there is a distortion at the edges. Probably it will not be so visible close to the center within the sensor's area.

liac

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2010, 11:52:21 am »

Which software is the best for correcting linear distortion? Probably, i can create a template and just process all the pics with a single click.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2010, 12:57:08 pm »

There are a few lenses for 24 * 26 mm that cover MF, the Canon 17mm in particular, and there are pancake cameras like the Hartblie that will let you use them.

... or you can get wide-angle with shift-and-stitch.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2010, 01:24:22 pm »

Can i install that sigma lens on hassy?

Nope, but it will fit the Fuju S3 pro you were talking about (in Nikon mount)
pieter, aka pegelli

liac

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2010, 02:58:57 pm »

I use with fuji Tamron DX lens specifically designed for cropped sensors.  So no need to buy other lenses.

liac

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2010, 06:39:51 pm »

After reading this http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=42074.0 i finally decided to buy canon mark II :)) Thanks to everyone.

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2010, 08:34:46 am »

you mean the canon 5d mark II? You aren't going to be able to buy much else than the camera body for $2700. The TS lenses you would want to use are another $2k a piece. Sounds like you plan on using a non-shifting wide angle lens for interiors. Yikes!

liac

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2010, 09:04:11 am »

Hi, body can be bought cheaper on ebay than you say. I will use old cheap canon or soviet lenses in manual mode if possible. Old soviet lenses were designed based on german planar and tessar designs which were obtained after invading Germany in 1945. They lose in boke quality to modern zeiss lenses but are still good. I neither shoot interiors, nor make commercial photography. I shoot outside for own pleasure and artistic purposes.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up