Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which point and shoot ?  (Read 6028 times)

Rob C

Re: Which point and shoot ?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 03:38:07 pm »

I think the Leica rangefinder system is the cause.  What really is extraordinary is the capacity to see out of the picture area when framing, so there is a sort of "personal involvement" if I might say that is unique to the Leica. In a dslr viewfinder you are stucked into 4 walls, in the Leica you breathe, you embrase more of the scenery and this has some consequences on the composition, the momentum.

That's quite a division of ideas.

I chose the slr precisely because it isolated the subject, and the Nikon F because it was the only one to show FF without a hidden safety margin, which was where the Leica rangefinder fell apart: it was a guesstimated framing, with no suggestion of DOF at the touch of your stop-down button. I think that the slr still allowed a lot of understanding of what was just outside the fame - probably not at the critical moment of clicking, but by then, one already knew what the geography of the picture was.

But that was not photojournalism, which I agree is another sort of viewing altogether! But I didn't do it.

Rob C

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 04:43:26 am »

i use the sony nex with the 16 mm sony lens and a voightlaender 1,4/40. use it mostly manually and like it a lot beacause itbdont allow me tom" point and shoot" but force me to take photographs :)
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

fredjeang

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 06:00:07 am »

Fred, interesting thought, thanks.

The fact is, for the kind of imagery I'm doing, I'm not looking for any other camera.

In my less lucid moments these little models and the liberation they appear to promise is seductive, and then my brain kicks in. The little pocket rocket, always there, always available, but available to do what? I’m at a stage where I’m not looking to find myself, not looking to unburden, in fact, just the opposite. My work, for better or worse, is a result of looking in rather than out, the result of self imposed constraints rather than freedoms. I’ve been through the relentless search for truth only to find it was there anyway.

Perhaps at some point I will again fall into the arms of the seductress, the pretty little thing, but if past experiences are anything to go by it won’t be the making of me.

Gosh.

You are absolutly right. I'm doing candid from time to time but this is not my work but a "personal training". The question you ask is exactly the same I'm thinking about. For what? Would I purchase another compact after the DP1? probably the only aplication that I'm seeing is as a note-book, also recording audio.
As you say, I also have my less lucid moments where the other day I saw that Fuji and thought: Whao! then, when lucidity went back, the for what question emerged.

Why I was pointing the DP series for your works? well, just because if used as a note-book it can delivers an imagery that will give you the closer look in that range of cameras to your real working tool, so in that sense it is probably the most coherent in terms of image output. Also, the DP are not point and shoot cameras, there are small slow manual cameras that oblige to think twice or more. Many people have complained about that fact. They are very different animals than the rest of the compacts. I know for example some arquitecture photographers that only work first with a DP1 for taking notes because the lens is stellar, very precise and clean, no AA filter  and IQ style has a lot to do with the equipment they will use for the proper works (MF backs). Iso starts at 50 and better stop at 400...800 is great for certain B&W works but no 2 in the morning party at 3200 with the Sigma, no! I've purchased one new in shop for the ridiculous price of 300euros (because the 1 is outdated now they released the 1x) and really I can't use any other compact after experienced the IQ those Sigmas are capable to deliver. Prints, in reasonable size 20x30, are nothing less but gorgeous. This is not a toy camera but a proper camera capable of producing stunning results in the right hands with a lot of limitations that chalenge enough to not feel oneself one happy snapper.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:17:42 am by fredjeang »

Shrev94412

• Phase One, Fuji GFX100, Nikon and Leica Q2 Shooter
    • Shreve Fine Art
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 09:48:16 pm »

I have the Canon S90 and have recommended it to many friends. We all love it. I plan on upgrading to the S95 for HD video. It truly is the best point and shoot i have ever used. The images are awesome and it has many setting options....most important to me was the ability to dial down the flash output to make flash not look like flash.

Good Luck!
Check out my work at www.shrevefineart.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up