Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Istanbul, July 1985  (Read 1031 times)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Istanbul, July 1985
« on: November 10, 2010, 03:30:37 pm »

I am currently digitizing old Kodachromes and Negatives from that trip when I was 19.
With my today eyes I don't like many of the images anymore.
However some I do like.
Here are some first results:

tokengirl

Re: Istanbul, July 1985
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 04:23:43 pm »

I like them too.  I hope you'll post more.

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:30:31 pm »

the image of the buildings, taken from above, really caught my eye. I like the angle, the little group of cars tucked in at the bottom, and the detail in the buildings, most of which share the same roof design.

The sky takes a beating, mostly because the day is overcast. Why not consider cropping it out? Part of the concept is the nestled architecture, the closeness of everyone living there. I don't think you'd lose much by trying.

I'd also give a boost in color and contrast a try. Given the environment, the image is naturally kind of flat. Increasing contrast, and perhaps the saturation in the reds, might be a welcome change.

Overall, terrific composition and choice of subject. Looks like an interesting place, indeed!

David Saffir
GuruShots Photo Critique
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:27:10 pm by David Saffir »
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 03:43:45 am »

At last, something that makes me grateful for my own little area in the world!

Particularly in winter.

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 04:29:09 am »

Thanks for the kind words and thanks David for the proposals concerning that view from the Galata tower (Galata Kulesi).
I added a layer copy in soft light mode, a b/w layer in Luminosity mode to change color luminosities a little and added a bit of sharpening - maybe I overdid it a little, but for now it may stand. I am quite new to all this photo postprocessing, and though I have read and seen a lot, I still lack practise and judgement there.

So - here is a  second edit together with some more.
The smoke car was a means in that time to diminish the mosquitos - don't ask me what was in the smoke ... at least everyone I knew there seemed healthy.
The fishermen were quite nice guys and keen on posing for the photographs - I'll post another one later where they show their climbing capabilities in the ropes.
The ships were waiting in the Bosporus "in line" for permission to enter the harbor and getting thir cargo discharged.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 05:01:34 am by Christoph C. Feldhaim »
Pages: [1]   Go Up