Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antelope Canyon  (Read 8809 times)

howard smith

Antelope Canyon
« on: December 10, 2004, 12:22:27 pm »

They are very different places, so which I like best is hard to say.  All have their pluses and minuses.  If I had to pick just one, I would go with Antelope.  Just like it.

FGARVIN

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 03:26:55 pm »

Thank you all for the information, Antelope will probably be my first stop as I have wanted to go for years. I had the pleasure of visiting both Bryce Canyon and Zion N.P. ( hoping to go back to both), They are incredible places. Howard I too would give all my equipment up for a day with my father. Thanks again to all.

stealththinker

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 11:41:11 am »

The nearest major airport is Phoenix.
Actually Las Vegas is closer than Phoenix.

FGARVIN

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 12:05:40 pm »

I am planning a trip to Antelope Canyon early next year, where is the closest airport from Page? And for those of you who have been to Antelope Canyon and Arches/Canyonlands, which of those two great locations did you enjoy most?

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Antelope Canyon
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 02:43:20 pm »

I was in all locations for the first time last week - I'm not sure if you're talking about either/or - if you go that far, visit all (including Dead Horse state park).  
The Antelopes (make sure you do both upper and lower) gave me a far more satisfying photo experience.  Arches I actually found a bit bland, (relatively) and I had a heck of a time getting good shots at Canyonland or Dead Horse - the vistas are too large and there's a lot of haze so getting decent clarity is tough - even with a RAW shot, post processing is quite a challenge.  Antelope, Arches and Canyonlands are all very very different.  I definately got more 17x25 "hang on the wall shots" from Antelope than the rest.  

Don't know your options, but Bryce is worth the trip (fly into Vegas then) and Zion is beautiful but really tough to photograph given the orientation to the sun this time of year (maybe it's always tough...)  If you're driving from Page to Moab, a half day with Tom Phillips at Monument Valley is worth the effort as well.

Sabercat04

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 09:01:04 pm »

The nearest major airport is Phoenix. If you rent a car there, it will probably be about a 4 hour drive to Page. I doubt that flying into any of the local airports like Flagstaff will save you any time. I think you could spend weeks in that area and never run out of things to see and photograph. You might want to take a look at a couple of books by Laurent Martres; Photographing the Southwest (one for Arizona/New Mexica and the other for Utah/southern CO). They have a lot of good tips for what to see and how to go about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up