Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 11880 banding (Wide PlatenGap)  (Read 2441 times)

undavide

Epson 11880 banding (Wide PlatenGap)
« on: November 10, 2010, 10:23:02 am »

Hello,
I'm having troubles with an Epson 11880 printing from a Mac via driver on a Hahnemuehle PhotoRag Baryta paper, PlatenGap set to "Large" "Wide".

The printer used to do its job nicely: then, in the middle of a print, some irregular light banding appeared in dark areas, and from that day on, it's been impossible to print dark colors correctly. A scan of the issue is attached.

We got the Epson tech doing all kind of adjustments (head alignements, PlatenGap alignement, paper feed adjustment, they also changed the printer head), but we had no luck.

Strangely enough, if we print with PlatenGap set to "Standard", the banding disappear. But, being probably the print head too close to the paper surface, it's almost impossible to complete a large print (1 x 2 meters) without having at some point dark ink stains (just like if some extra ink is collecting, condensing, on the head during the print and fall on the paper: the result are some stains 2x10mm more or less, like a small brush paints, parallel to the head direction.

One of the latest test was to change paper feed in small increments - the banding changes, but keeps being irregular and too bad for a fine art print.

The annoying thing is that the printer used to work, then something unknown happened and they're not able to fix it.
It looks to me very strange that Large Wide PlatenGap is now forbidden...!!

Any comment or suggestion from 11880 users around is welcome!
Thanks in advance,

Davide Barranca

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:08:45 am by undavide »

Sven W

Re: Epson 11880 banding (large PlatenGap)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:49:12 am »

I never go further than "Wide" in platen gap, to avoid headscratching on expensive baryta papers.
We have more problems with microbandings when printing very dark areas on matte fine art papers such as Ep. UltraSmooth or HotPress. But the 11880 has been running almost every day for three years, so maybe it's time for printhead replacement.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

undavide

Re: Epson 11880 banding (large PlatenGap)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 12:02:07 pm »

Hi Sven,
I've translated "Large", (from the Italian "Largo") which should be "Wide" in english - sorry  ;)
But, as I've said before, they've already changed the print head last week - with no any visible change in the print quality.

Davide
Pages: [1]   Go Up