Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpe buse  (Read 992 times)

Lost

• Flickr snapshots
Alpe buse
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:30:26 am »

Landscape of the mountains around Lago di Como in Italy, framed by two houses in alpe Busè, processed to give a aged look to the colours.

Comments on the framing and treatment appreciated. In particular, I am not sure about the processing - I was trying to match to the slightly claustraphobic feel of the framing while also downplaying detail in the roofs.

Rob C

Re: Alpe buse
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 11:33:08 am »

That's a very nice use of dark framing.

Something I find is this: sitting at the computer, the sense of the picture is obvious at the thumbnail size, but when I click it up to enlarge, it loses its integrity. This strikes me as one of those images very dependent on viewing distance for it to make sense.

Alternatively, my monitor glasses have reached the end of their life.

I like it very much.

Rob C

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 06:02:04 pm »

This is what I'd refer to as an "eccentric" image. You've pretty much tossed every convention and rule I can think of.

On the one hand, you've created a completely unique composition, framed by looming structures right and left, a bit of foreground for scale, and misty mountains in the distance. I do like the way you've asymmetrically framed the walls, and the chimneys - it does help keep the eye moving

But, and this is a big "but", what's the story being told here? I don't really get any sense of place, except from your title. I don't get the urge to go there, nor does the image communicate much about the location (it really could be any number of places).

You've certainly got the technical skills to make a strong image (great use of dynamic range). I encourage you to continue your work - but this is likely one of those pieces that you're gong to like, but will not communicate with a larger audience.

I'm just sharing my thoughts with you - please don't be insulted!

David Saffir
GuruShots Photo Critique
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:25:50 pm by David Saffir »
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor

Lost

• Flickr snapshots
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 03:56:21 pm »

Definitely not insulted - the feedback is much appreciated.

What I was trying to do was catch the mood of the village. These small towns were once proper rural communities, but now they are little more than holiday homes looking over the mountains. At this time of year it is rather dull and damp, and the villages are little more than empty houses looking over the valley. I wanted to catch a sense of this, but perhaps this is too much in my mind rather than the photograph (or maybe it needs other images to complete the context).

I was also trying to avoid taking yet another wide-angle landscape or street shot...
Pages: [1]   Go Up