Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: RUMOR: CMOS, LiveView, RAW video  (Read 21773 times)

BJNY

Re: RUMOR: CMOS, LiveView, RAW video
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2010, 06:54:08 am »

Looking forward to Nov. 30th event
http://www.anpdm.com/newsletterweb/819480/4347504A7841475F4272454359

Will ask about camera body, CMOS and LiveView
Guillermo

ziocan

Re: Marianne
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2010, 12:14:03 am »

But, then, I see that lack of depth as a sort of insulation from something I may not want to know. Even people living in their own country often refuse to see or understand everything that's going down.

Rob C
I find that to be common to all the countries i lived in, but France is a bit of an exception.

Rob C

Re: Marianne
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2010, 04:23:52 am »

I find that to be common to all the countries i lived in, but France is a bit of an exception.

Now that is hugely pregnant: give it birth! Please?

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2010, 04:53:03 pm »

Essentially, much of what you are selling by high production team values is not creativity, it is insurance, and it makes good business sense for your client to purchase such insurance. Just don't call the insurance creativity - the creative part is between your ears.

Edmund
I totally agree with this idea, at least in high level commercial. That is what I was trying to express using the term "resolve".

Do you think Mario, brought it through security himself or handed the bag to his assistant?
Did he take a snap shot of the thing with his iphone, if he had to check it in?
Are you wondering how much is the monthly payment to lease the thing?

Does it really matter?

If Mario one day shoot a movie with a 5D (wich I doubt but who knows), or some Mario's level, it will be the signal for the hunters that the season is open.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:58:50 pm by fredjeang »

ziocan

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2010, 09:54:43 pm »

If Mario one day shoot a movie with a 5D (wich I doubt but who knows), or some Mario's level, it will be the signal for the hunters that the season is open.
What ever he uses is totally irrelevant. Too much emphasis is given on owning these pieces of equipment.
The point of my post was that it does not matter.
What do I care of having a Red on my closet and all the dynamic of owning it, when I can use any camera I think will fit and the crew that has to go along with it, according to the project/budget/client.
If we have to shoots some snippets for a web catalogue while we are shooting the stills, the 5d is more than enough, and we do not even need of being a "video maker" or know how to use FCP for doing that crap. If we are shooting a commercial, we just need of getting what it takes and the clients are ready to pay for. that can range from a smal DSLR to an Arri with 35mm film and a proper director of photography and crew.
The day that I will have to worry about hiring people for doing HTML5, color grading, editing, having a blog were I show everything I do etc, I will start a business in production or studio, equipment rental.
I do not think those are the kind of professions we are discussing here.
And please do not tell me, that is what we all need to do if we want to stay afloat, because is not true.

I do not know if you notice, the works of those professionals that take care of all the production elements by them selves, normally sucks big time.
And there is a reason why it sucks: because they are spending too much time managing and no time creating.

bcooter

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2010, 06:18:49 am »

The one thing I know about industry, not just the photo industry, but all industry is to have success, the best advice is to do what is right for you.

Every time my results have been less than anticipated is I tried to emulate someone else's business model, or listened to other's advice.   

In fact I went 10 years and never listened or for that matter cared what any photographer did.  I always felt their way worked for them, my way was and is working for me.

I also believe in equity, usually sweat equity but equity non the less.

Some still photographers will have success and never shoot anything but stills.  Nothing wrong with that.  Some will outsource everything, once again nothing wrong with that, though i feel they leave a lot of money on the table.

Regardless, I know how to make our business and art work and that is by offering more options.  It keeps us busy, it adds to the bottom line, it allows us to move forward.

Today, on a quick break I spoke to 4 different clients.  With each one we talked over project briefs and I mentioned the RED and each client was intrigued.  Now, how than translates to art and profit will come later, but the added benefit of offering something in-house, that is a little more unique gained attention.

What I do know is whether it is in this business they're are no rules.

IMO

BC

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up