Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Landscape Medium Format Choice? Horseman/ Hasselblad?  (Read 8899 times)

nicksouth

Landscape Medium Format Choice? Horseman/ Hasselblad?
« on: November 09, 2010, 12:08:50 am »

Hello all,

I do 100% Landscape work, currently with a 1DSMk3 and Zeiss 21mm. Looking to move into MF to enjoy all of its benefits regards resolution, tonal/dynamic range. But which one??

I use Lee 100mm filters 99% of the time from ND grads to ND for long exposures..up to 4 mins max usually.

I have considered the Horseman swd with 24mm and P45+, amazing image quality, long exposure capable but lacking versatility as i do a bit of helicopter work and exposure compensation etc is handy working handheld in that environment.

Hasselblad H4D-40 and 28mm lens, more versatile and 4 min exposures but smaller sensor and i am unsure of some vignetting issues due to a lack of wide angle Lee adapters??

Hasselblad H3D-39II and 28mm lens, limited to 32sec exposure(apparently extend to 60sec with firmware upgrades??) but larger sensor than the 40 to make use of the 28mm lens. Vignetting with Lee's?

Can anyone help with practical experience in any of the above setups, particularily as relates to the use of filters, ease of use etc.

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers
Nick.

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Re: Landscape Medium Format Choice? Horseman/ Hasselblad?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:36:17 am »

I read recently that Lee was launching a larger size of filters; there is also the Cokin X-Pro lineup.

I think if you're thinking about being in a helicopter or using the kit in a 'dynamic' situation, you'll want to go with an SLR solution over a technical camera.  Those tech camera lenses are second to none, though, but they're not fast, and you'd need a ton of light or stabilization to use them airborne.

From your list above, My recommendation would be to go with the H4D and get larger filters to cover the new lenses.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

Nick-T

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 02:13:56 pm »

Nick may I suggest you go here:

http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com

And post in the "prospective purchasers" forum, there are quite a few landscape guys there and I know a few of them have used the Lee system.
Cheers
Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

nicksouth

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 07:57:11 pm »

Hi Nick,

Have done that already, helpful bunch so far!!

Cheers
Nick

Ps when are Hasselblad going to upgrade the H3D-39 chip tp take 4 minute exposures??:)

Joe Behar

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:12:21 pm »

I have considered the Horseman swd with 24mm and P45+, amazing image quality, long exposure capable but lacking versatility as i do a bit of helicopter work and exposure compensation etc is handy working handheld in that environment.

Nick,

Have you had a look at a P45+ on a Phase One 645DF with the 28mm lens?

nicksouth

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:02:47 pm »

Hi Joe,

No not really, any advantages over the Hasselblad body and lens?

Cheers
Nick.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 09:58:33 pm »

Not sure how much help I can offer however here goes...

I shoot 100% landscape and used to use a 1DsII prior to moving to medium format first using a Mamiya (then Phase) AFD body and a P30+.  My lenses were all Mamiya and included the incredibly sharp 28mm.  I soon wanted more and made took the step to a technical camera looking at either the Horseman or the Cambo.  I brought the Cambo as of the things selling me on the kit was the geared movements that Horseman didn't offer.

I've been shooting with a Cambo and P45+ now for several years and no regrets.

The idea of using a technical camera in an aerial is intriguing and while I won't say it can't be done I think of using a DSLR type of medium format.  While I don't have any experience with the Hasselblad I do with the Phase 645 and recommend it.

Don

Joe Behar

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 11:07:53 pm »

Hi Joe,

No not really, any advantages over the Hasselblad body and lens?

Cheers
Nick.

The 645DF offers a top shutter speed of 1/4000 sec and the ability to use both focal plane shutter or leaf shutter (with the new lenses). Currently the leaf shutter lenses include 55mm, 80mm and 110mm.

There is a vertical grip available for the 645DF

nicksouth

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 11:33:55 pm »

HI Don,

Which lens do you use predominantly with your Cambo?

Do you find the focusing fairly straight forward considering close foreground and infinity sharpness?

Cheers
Nick.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 07:18:58 am »

28mm Mamiya/ Phase One lens gives full 645 coverage (if you consider a big 56/60/80 MP Phase/Leaf back in the future)

Some of Claes Axstål's work is done on a Horseman with a Leaf back and various lenses

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 07:38:44 am »

Hi Nick,

You might like to look at Hans Stands work, with Hasselblad..

http://www.hansstrand.com/Hans_Strand/Home.html

We also have the HTS tilt shift adapter, working with 5 lenses which is becoming quite interesting to a lot of landscape photographers, Hans included.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 09:02:52 am »

HI Don,

Which lens do you use predominantly with your Cambo?

Do you find the focusing fairly straight forward considering close foreground and infinity sharpness?

Cheers
Nick.

Nick, I use either a 35, 72 or 120 and have found focus to be fairly easy

Don
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:05:21 am by Don Libby »

nicksouth

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 08:54:32 pm »

Hi David,

Thanks for the link, Hans has got some fine work.

Any idea when a firmware update will appear to take the H3D -39 exposure time beyond 1 minute?

Cheers
Nick.

Will Ophuis

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 09:16:16 pm »

Ive been shooting with the H4D-40 and 35-90mm for some months now, I only shoot landscapes and ive been happy with the results, wouldn't mind the 28mm lens though and the HTS, I use lee 4x6 filters and have even done some long exposures with the Lee Big stopper and has been fine..... Phocus seems to handle the vignetting well.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:18:49 pm by Will Ophuis »
Hasselblad H4D-40.

www.williamophuis.com/blog

nicksouth

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 09:35:07 pm »

HI Will,

Thanks for that.

H4D-40 looks a great piece of kit, do you notice the reduced field of view with the smaller sensor?

HTS looks handy as well but Hassy need to make it a touch more affordable!

Have you used a Technical camera like the Cambo before for your Landscape work?

Cheers
Nick.

Will Ophuis

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 09:42:44 pm »

I came from a 5d mkII and was using several wide angles, You do lose a bit of field of view but its not too bad imo 28mm will help a bit..... I don't think you would notice much going from a 1.1 crop to 1.3? I havn't used a Tech camera before so can only give my opinion on the Hassy, it was the whole Hassy system which just seemed to suit me really and I planned to buy the HTS before I bought the camera, I have rented the HTS and 28mm and it is a pretty nice bit of kit!
Hasselblad H4D-40.

nicksouth

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 09:49:01 pm »

Hi Will,

Night and day difference coming from the 21mp Canon sensor to the Hassy 40?

I see the H3D39II has the larger sensor but lacks the long exposure times..frustrating..always seems to be a compromise in choosing kit!

How do you find handling etc with the Hassy compared to the 5D2? use the True Focus function at all for landscapes?

(Nice shots on the blog by the way!)

Cheers
Nick.

Will Ophuis

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 10:11:38 pm »

Cheers Nick! yeah there is quite a difference, The two main differences that stood out was the sharpness and the dynamic range its very nice! yeah I think the H4D-40 has the better higher iso and the longer exposure going for it and the True Focus which is nice but I pretty much manually focus everything anyways, with the 35-90mm its prety damn big! but I Like holding it better then the 5d mkII and the button layout is much more thought out and not heaps of buttons everywhere.
Hasselblad H4D-40.

nicksouth

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 10:28:37 pm »

Hi Will,

Sounds good. Yeah that zoom looks a monster!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Nick.

Baxter

• http://www.baxterbradford.com
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 12:56:27 am »

I use Lee filters extensively with Phase One 645DF and P45+ Mostly the 100mm system but have also recently devised way of using Lee's X-Pro sized ND grads with the 28mm Phase One lens (which is a pretty impressive lens). It isn't an issue-free solution, but does work. Lee are bringing out a 150mm system to go with the holder for the Nikon 14-24mm lens. However pre-order sales have been strong and you can expect quite a delay if you want to start using this new size. Personally I think it over-large, the extra sail area will make camera stability an issue on a windy cliff, beach or mountain.

Recently been doing some shooting with moonlight and using 8 min exposures too.

My intention when moving from LF film to MF digital was to use two cameras the 645Df and then get a technical camera such as the Linhof Techno. So far I have managed very well with just the 645DF. Phase One backs are easier to use with tech cameras because of the battery, though I understand solutions do exist to fix this.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:59:10 am by Baxter »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up