Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: skewed prints on 3880  (Read 858 times)

mshea

skewed prints on 3880
« on: November 08, 2010, 09:25:58 pm »

On average, I'm getting good results from my 3880. But lately I've noticed some images coming out slightly skewed; nothing dramatic, but enough to be annoying—no more than 1/8 inch or so. I'm printing 13 X 19 Ilford GFS and Harman by Hahnemuhle through the top feeder. Anybody else had similar problems?

Thanks,
Merrlll

wildstork

• Lawrence Beck Photography
Re: skewed prints on 3880
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 02:05:22 am »

I have as well, Merrill, and also w/ilford Gold Fiber Silk.  I also noticed micro banding at all settings and really spent lot of time to  resolve the issue.   The only thing that worked for me was using the rear feeder.  It's a p.i.t.a. to use as loading is a headache, but it eliminated the banding at all settings and solved the skewing issue.
Lawrence 

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 02:27:11 pm »

My 3880 was slightly skewing all my prints from the day I got it.  I looked at the mechanism in detail and saw that it didn't look quite the same as my old 3800 (which I still had around).  The moving paper guide on the right at the base of the auto sheet feeder was slightly sticking, so it didn't stick out as far as it should and was slightly tilted, and the tilt was causing the skew.  I called the Epson repair/support number that came in the printer documentation, and, after talking me through a few checks for awhile, they arranged to ship me a replacement printer under warranty.  You might take a close look at your right paper guide and see if it doesn't look right, in case you might have the same problem.  (Though I'm not sure you could tell if you didn't have a correctly functioning similar printer sitting there for comparison...)

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

mshea

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 07:59:53 am »

Lisa,I'm not sure about the right-hand paper guide. It seems to be functioning OK, though I suppose it looks ever so slightly out of alignment (I'll compare it to a relative's 3800 in a couple of weeks).

Lawrence, using the rear sheet feeder does solve the alignment issue.

Thanks a lot!
Merrill
Pages: [1]   Go Up