Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A new iPF8300  (Read 11197 times)

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
A new iPF8300
« on: November 08, 2010, 02:04:12 pm »

After several years of big Epson printers in our print room, a new Canon iPF8300 (44") has arrived.

I'll be keeping a diary of sorts with observations and info I come across.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/canon_ipf8300.html

So, if anyone was interested in what it's like or was thinking of getting one, feel free to ask!

I'll not be using a RIP with it, although I will be using ImageNest for layout purposes if needed. That said, there is a RIP currently being
supplied in a bundle with the printer, and I think Canon are sending a copy, so I may yet get to test one with it (anyone know what you get? Canon UK were a bit hazy on this one :-)

After trying out True B&W for driving an iPF6300 for B/W printing, I'll also be looking at many aspects of B/W printing with the 8300.

I've a few of my favourite papers to profile and test, but writing about that will have to wait a while longer ;-)
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

Light Seeker

Re: A new iPF8300
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 03:59:21 pm »

This is very timely, Keith.

Thanks.

Terry.

Dan Wells

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:19:09 pm »

I just got one as well - haven't yet set it up, and am off on a two week business trip tomorrow. As soon as mine is up (I'm a longtime iPF user, both a 5000 and a 6100), I'll post impressions here...

-Dan

John Hollenberg

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 11:20:52 pm »

Link added to Reviews section of iPF Wiki.  Thanks for the heads up!

J H S

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 07:07:28 am »

I'm thinking hard about getting an ipf8300 but the only way I can justify it is to be able to use it for my business (surveying and mapping) as well.  In fact that would be the main use for it and my hobby (photography) would be secondary.  Though the photography aspect is the most exciting to me.  Does anyone have any experience using the 8300 for printing AutoCAD drawings or GIS maps/aerial photography?  I know Canon makes the ipf8000s that is more suited for these purposes but it doesn't accommodate my hobby as well.  I'm trying to get maximum benefit for my dollar.

BTW, this is my first post here.  I'm a long time listener but a first time caller.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Jack

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:59:41 am »

Jack,

If you search the forum I believe there's a thread on printing architectural drawings from a few months ago. I personally have used my ipf5100 to print out blueprints on inexpensive Canon paper and it works great.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

neile

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 10:02:25 am »

Very timely Keith, thanks. And nice to see how you've placed it in your print room as I'm planning something similar.

Oh, and nice Mt Rainier shot. Next time you're in Seattle stop by and say hi :)

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

J H S

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 11:20:57 am »

Thanks Neil, did you use RIP software or anything other than the Canon driver to print from autocad?  I really hope that the Canon driver is good enough.  The 8300 alone is a big purchase for me.

Thanks,
Jack

sjcampbell

• Steve and Julie Campbell Photographers
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 03:44:52 pm »

Local surveyor here in Armidale uses his ipf8300 for nothing but CAD drawings. I don't think he knows what a RIP is apart from a funeral epitaph :)

BTW, also timely for me - I am wavering between a 6300 and an 8300!

Cheers
Steve
Steve
Steve and Julie Campbell Photographers

J H S

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 04:13:33 pm »

LOL Steve!  Him and I have more in common than surveying then.  :)  I contacted Canon regarding my concerns and they answered with the following generic computer-generated "catch all" response:

"Please use a Canon Alliance Partner software RIP solution with the
imagePROGRAF iPF-8300 for producing intricately detailed full-color
renderings, CAD drawings, GIS maps and other large-format output."

So Steve I greatly appreciate your response, it is exactly what I was hoping to hear.  Now I just need to figure out where to purchase.  Anyone have any recommendations?

Oh, and thank you Keith for all of the information.  As others have mentioned, great timing!

Thanks,
Jack

John Hollenberg

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 04:33:50 pm »

The Wiki members have had good experiences purchasing from these dealers (arranged in alphabetical order, not by order of preference):

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Which+Dealers

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Dan Wells

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 11:10:50 pm »

One thing that is nice about the iPF series is that, while they have the custom Photoshop plugin, they also have a very well-developed OS driver (I actually once sent a document to my 6100 from Microsoft Word, using a custom paper size). The user who is doing surveying and mapping should have NO problems, assuming AutoCAD will print from the OS (probably Windows). I know that ArcGIS will, because I've printed quite a few maps on my (just sold) 6100 that way, and certainly plan to run some maps on my new 8300 in addition to its primary diet of photos. I've never used AutoCAD, so I don't know for sure that it prints using normal drivers, but it certainly should. There's no reason NOT to use a 12-color printer when a 4-color model will do - especially if the 12-color printer has the iPF's low ink costs. Unless AutoCAD differs from ArcGIS in how it handles the printer, I'd feel completely comfortable using it for CAD and GIS (it will be just as good as any other 44-inch machine at drawings and maps, and a bit better than most at aerial photos...).

-Dan

neile

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 11:36:05 pm »

For those of you looking to buy an 8300 in the US, you should also try LexJet and DTG. I've seen almost a $1,000 difference in pre-rebate price on the 8300 depending on who you call. They are scary inexpensive at the moment.

Neil
Neil Enns

ternst

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 09:59:15 am »

Mine was about $2700 delivered, which is about what the same amount of ink and fresh heads would cost. So when it comes time to replace the ink I may just buy another printer instead, then I'll have a spare in case something happens to the first guy! Really, that is about the state of things right now - a really great time to buy a new printer with the latest technology all around.

One funny point about this printer - I use mine for printing on heavy BC canvas and neither Epson or HP cutters will touch this stuff, but the Canon will zip right through it. But I've heard several folks say they won't use the cutter on canvas because it might wear out the cutter. Duh, just buy a new printer, what the heck! Hint - the rest of the printer will eventually wear out too, ha! I buy things to use, not so that they won't wear out...

neile

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 10:27:49 am »

Ternst, I assume that price was after rebate?

Neil
Neil Enns

ternst

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 12:28:32 pm »

yes

neile

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 12:30:18 pm »

Ok. Just FYI for folks, it can be had for $400 less than that from various locations. The best price I've been offered so far is $2300 after rebate.

Neil
Neil Enns

barry685

• http://www.barrystudios.com
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »

Neile,
Do you know who has the best price on an IPF 6300?
Barry

Light Seeker

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 01:53:12 pm »

The price for an iPF8300 in Canada is $5949, AFTER $1650 in rebates. That's a far cry from $2300. What are the issues associated with purchasing a printer from a US vendor for use in Canada?

Terry.

ternst

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 03:05:20 pm »

Hey Neil, that's even better! Who gave you that price - I may need to order some more ink wrapped in a printer...(I got mine from IT a month or so ago)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up