Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystery random ink spots on Epson 3880 prints ?  (Read 25461 times)

KeithHollister

Mystery random ink spots on Epson 3880 prints ?
« on: November 07, 2010, 08:22:14 pm »

Recently started getting the occasional random spot of dark/black ink on an otherwise perfect print. Sometimes there is a short line or specks in the margins and sometimes there are a couple of "spits" in the print area. Anyone know what is going on? Nozzle checks are fine and prints are otherwise perfect.

Thanks

Keith

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Re: Mystery random ink spots on Epson 3880 prints ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 11:53:55 pm »

I had this happen. Changing the maintenance cart fixed it (even though it supposedly had capacity left, when I looked at it, it seemed that ink had kinda mounded up in the middle of the maintneance cart).

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 03:17:10 am »

Keith

I had this happen on my R2400. It drove me crazy trying to track down the problem, but it turned out to be a piece of fluff or cat hair perhaps stuck to the print head. Since then I have always kept a cover on the printer when not in use.

Oh, of course, it might be helpful to know how I fixed it. This may not help, because the 2400 and 3880 are obviously somewhat different, but anyhow -

* I could find no way of getting at the print head on the R2400. So I powered the printer up, and as soon as the print head moved to the left I switched off at the power socket (not the printer). This leaves the print head unlocked and free to move along the carriage.

* On the left on the 2400 are two foam pads just off the platen. I carefully removed these, cleaned them, replaced them and then soaked them in a mixture of water, alchohol and detergent (screen-wash fluid, actually).

* I then parked the print head over the platen pads and left it there for an hour or so.

* Then I fired up the printer and printed some areas of solid tone, of black and each colour. The paper came out covered in all sorts of junk - little hairs, fluff , you name it. About three year's worth of crap.

Since then it has been brilliant. Not a blob or streak.

Of course the other thing you can do is make sure that the cats are never let into your studio . . .

John
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:11:34 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 11:26:02 am »

I get similar with my larger Epsons... simply part the head on a wet paper towel and change it out several times and that will clean the ink residue from the heads. You can probably google the web for more detailed instructions.

Do it several times until there's little ink on the paper towels and that should do the trick.

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 02:14:22 pm »

I've had this problem occasionally with my 3800 & 3880, and just do two print head cleanings (using the tab called something like "Utilities" in the Epson print window) and that seems to fix it.  (This was originally suggested to me by Epson's email customer service.)

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 02:31:58 pm »

Have pets, by any chance? There is the possibility of pet hair/fur (or other debris of course) getting into the path of the print head. This results in some ink droplets going astray.
Eric Chan

KeithHollister

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 01:02:56 pm »

OK - looks like I'm good to go (touch wood). Ran a couple cleaning cycles and pulled several hairs from the platten. Also used my CO2 blower to blast a few shots of gas under the print head to dislodge anything stuck there. Letter size prints came out clean - printing a 17x22 right now so we'll see.

Thanks everyone. And, yes Eric, I do have pets (lots of them). Put the Epson cover on my Christmas list  :-[

davidewers

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 06:57:47 pm »

I use a large hefty bag over my printer and it seems to keep all of the dust off. Its not the best looking but it does the job

weberpoint

• http://mrainwater.com
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 04:43:10 am »

I also use a Hefty bag to cover my 3880 (and 2400).  It seems to keep the dust out and I have had only the very rare printing problem.  Glad to know I'm not the only one using a garbage sack.  Cheaper than a Tumi.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 11:17:40 am »

I use a large plastic sheet and heavy beach towel ...
Eric Chan

Farmer

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 08:14:14 pm »

Hopefully, no one will quote you out of context, Eric ;p
Phil Brown

KeithHollister

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 05:37:48 pm »

Well, this is getting rather frustrating - after a couple of prints with no problems, I still have random ink spots/marks on the page. Multiple cleaning cycles didn't seem to help either. I have cleaned out any visible hair/debris on the platen or feed slot and blown Co2 across the print head several times.

If I slide some PEC pads moistened with Windex between the platten and head, can I hurt anything?

Not sure what to try next  :(

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 01:53:50 am »

If I slide some PEC pads moistened with Windex between the platten and head, can I hurt anything?

Not sure what to try next  :(
Maybe a call to Epson? Seems like it should still be under warranty.  I certainly wouldn't be shoving any windex in there which might void the warranty.

KeithHollister

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 06:47:26 pm »

WooHoo!!

Called Epson and they immediately said it sounds like a defective head and they are overnighting a new printer to me - with a full set of ink! I put the old one (they said to feel free and pull the ink tanks out of it and keep them) and ship it back in the same box.

Wow - now that's service  ;D

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 01:25:41 pm »

I recently exchanged a 3880 under warranty (because of paper skew caused by sticking paper guides).  The "new" one they sent me actually looked slightly used, and the hinged cover over the auto feeder didn't close quite right (which is no big deal), so they're probably sending people reconditioned used ones sent back under warranty that may not be quite right.  So don't get your hopes up quite yet...

Their instructions told me to leave my partially-used ink cartridges in it, unlike what they told you.  Maybe the difference is that your problem involved the print head and mine didn't, but check the printed instructions they send you just in case what they initially told you wasn't right on that.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

KeithHollister

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 08:47:24 pm »

Received the replacement printer today. While I am sure it is a reconditioned one, it is in excellent condition - no problems or obvious marks, etc. Works perfectly. The instructions did say to leave carts in it (even if empty), so that's too bad (had a new Black tank). The maint tank was 50% used (kinda surprised they didn't change that), but since I recently bought a new one for the original printer I just swapped it.

I'm happy.

AFairley

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 09:15:53 pm »

If you haven't set up the printer yet, use the old carts for the setup (which sucks out about 20% of the ink in a new cart) and then put in the brand new carts after the ink lines have been primed.  (I unfortunately didn't figure this out until I set up my replacement 3800 with the new carts when I had to do a swap a while ago).
Pages: [1]   Go Up