Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trip (Sierra Vista, AZ to Savannah, GA) -- Photography Suggestions?  (Read 3058 times)

JulianShelton

This Spring (March), I have to drive from Sierra Vista, AZ to Savannah, GA. I recently did the reverse drive and didn't really stop to take many pictures (except in White Sands, NM). I really regret that, but I would like to use this next road trip opportunity to develop photographically. My wife will be with me, so I would like to do some environmental portraits in addition to landscape.

What are some great places along the way to take pictures? I am on a slight time constraint, so ideally, it would be within 1-3 hours  of I-10 or I-20.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

-Julian

aduke

You might consider Carlsbad Caverns. It is a reasonable stopping point after a day's driving. You can spend as much time as you like in the Cavern.

Alan

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com

I would definitely make a return visit to White Sands, and as Alan suggested swing by Carlsbad Caverns. They're just COOL. Make sure you bring your tripod for the caverns. You can get some really beautiful shots if you run a long exposure to pick up the lights they've installed.

Alas I've never gone farther East than New Mexico on your route, so those are the only suggestions I have.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

vandevanterSH

You might also do some research on Big Bend NP, TX.  It is about a two hour drive off of I-10.  I haven't been there but it looks interesting.  There won't be crowds of people to spoil the photography; it is the least visited NP in the lower 48.

Steve

Ian99

Despite being Canadian, I have spent time in this area looking for interesting things to shoot.
You propose I10/I20, you might think about I40 which does not take you much out of your way and offers many better shooting sites.

The I10 scenario:
   Check out Safford, Az, the home of the Phelps Dodge Morenci Mine. Driving up to the mine site gives you tremendous landscape views which look like flat top mesas. However they are huge tailings piles, flattened on top, many with housing subdivisions built on them. The colours (remember I am Canadian) are incredible.
   I second the choice of Carlsbad Caverns, I have been there twice. Take a tripod and plan for long exposures, the guides are quite sympathetic to professional photographers who look like they know what they are doing. Lots of stal formations many with multiple colours. Walk down from the surface (it is hard on the knees but the path is asphalted everywhere) and go back on the central elevator – this is American spelunking for the masses. Plan on it taking most of the day. The first time I did it, I drove up to the entrance about dawn to be first in line. The road was covered in large tarantulas, big enough to go thump when I drove over them! Welcome to the USA.

White Sands offers lots of artistic opportunities, but I would try and get to Trinity Site a few miles North. It may be open at your time, but it is of great historical significance.

The problem with the I10 route is that from here East there is lots of nothing.

The I40 scenario gives you Stafford, then Canyon de Chelly, may Navajo sites (perhaps even Shiprock – amazing) then very nice views from Gallop down to Albuquerque. A loop through Santa Fe and Taos would not go amiss, and then you are down into lots of nothing again. I vividly remember the centre of SFe – good photo opportunities at the palace and excellent margaritas.

Let us know what you decide and what photo opportunities you thought worthwhile.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond

Stay off the Interstates and take the U.S. Highways.

A few years ago we drove back to visit friends in Asheville then headed down to Chareston and Savannah. Heading east from Calif. we pretty much stayed along Rt. 66, especially places we hadn't already photographed east of Albuquerque or roads south of it, up to 100 miles.

Coming home, west from Savannah we took a zig-zag path hitting the Gulf Coast and staying below I-20 and I-40 for the most part. U.S. Highways go to the places that time has forgotten and you'll find great architecture, towns and landscapes along the way that you can stop and photograph.

Take your time and take it slowly and you'll have a great time!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up