Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Safe way to store your MF / LF / digiback  (Read 1388 times)

Mr. Rib

Safe way to store your MF / LF / digiback
« on: November 07, 2010, 08:29:35 am »

Hi,

Although most of the workhorses work a lot, there are times when you have to store your equipment for a longer time. I've been wondering what are good habits when it comes to storing your lenses, MF/LF bodies, digital backs when you're not using it? Do they simply sit in your peli cases and while they wait for next job or are you using some specialized containers in a studio closet? How do you defend against dust / fungus?

Cheers

Dick Roadnight

Re: Safe way to store your MF / LF / digiback
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 12:44:00 pm »

Hi,

Although most of the workhorses work a lot, there are times when you have to store your equipment for a longer time. I've been wondering what are good habits when it comes to storing your lenses, MF/LF bodies, digital backs when you're not using it? Do they simply sit in your peli cases and while they wait for next job or are you using some specialized containers in a studio closet? How do you defend against dust / fungus?

Cheers
The question is, is it worth taking the back off to put it in the safe? or is there room in the safe for the whole camera? or do you put the whole kit in a strong-box cupboard?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:36:25 pm »

Hi,

Avoid storing the camera next to some device that generates magnetic field like tv, or temp differences. Also, in a place where you know the temp do not change too much within the day.
Here in Madrid, it hardly rains, (that's why basically I choosed to live here) this is a very dry area so we don't care at all about humidity but humidity is to be taken seriously if you are located in for example Vancouver.
The ideal should be to have a conditionned room with temp and humidity controled, where you could also store the printing papers and the prints themselves if you do it at home. So idealy, the case should be stocked in this room. If you don't have such facility, ventilate regularly. Avoid location next to a bathroom wall for example, or next to a heater.
You should also open the flight case regularly and put the equipment into function for awhile. I'm not very certain that the silicon bags are usefull to be honest, and they have to be changed also regularly.
Never ever put the material in plastic bags. The vintage "leather" hoods are better than what we have now but don't close completly the zip.
In fact, dryness is the best. That's why the pyramides are still with us today in such a good state, no?

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:33:22 pm by fredjeang »

topgreat

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 08:56:39 am »

In Bangkok, Thailand, during a rainy season, the humidity level is very high. In the past, I got some fungus in my high-price lenses. After that, I decided to buy a dry cabinet, which is made in China. It can't control temperature, but keeps the humidity low such that fungus and haze would not occur. It works pretty well for me.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 09:59:05 am »

My camera locker has a "Golden Rod" drying stick in it to prevent fungus and mold, this one: http://www.nationalmarineproducts.com/24_GoldenRod_Dehumidifier_25_Watts_p/16151.htm

After that, I simply keep my gear stored in the bags I normally work out of.  In this fashion, I always know where each piece is and the kits are always ready to go at a moment's notice.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:23:52 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 10:53:46 am »

www.zorb-it.com

This is what I keep in my storage cabinets.  It seems to work well....

ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up