Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White Sands  (Read 1997 times)

JulianShelton

White Sands
« on: November 07, 2010, 01:41:43 am »

Hello,

I am a long timer lurker and first time poster. Most forums are simply places to discuss gear, and while that's fun, I really want to begin developing, photographically. Landscape is very hard for me, but it is one of my favorite types of photography. I took these recently in White Sands, NM. The lighting wasn't ideal, but something about the harsh, mid-day light made the tonal range very limited, which actually made for some interesting images. Forgive the IQ -- I really dislike my camera and will be upgrading soon.

Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I just want to learn.

101910_2486NEW by Julian Shelton, on Flickr

101910_2497 by Julian Shelton, on Flickr

101910_2472 by Julian Shelton, on Flickr

101910_2457 by Julian Shelton, on Flickr

101910_2468 by Julian Shelton, on Flickr

-Julian
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 12:34:57 pm by JulianShelton »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: White Sands
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 03:47:48 am »

I really like the second one. The B&Ws are neither high-key, nor contrasty - there's surely latitude for darker skies & more contrast in the foreground if you're not going for a high key effect. That said, the colour pallette is so limited anyway, even the colour images are near monotone. And that second one is really, really nice

francois

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 05:26:11 am »

Julian, welcome to the forum.

The second one is also my favorite but the third one is a close second for me. I agree with Bill, B/W is not ideal here. With more dramatic skies, B/W could work well.
Francois

sailronin

• David Reams Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 07:06:50 am »

Welcome,
I agree with Bill, the second is outstanding.  I like the B&Ws, looks like they have potential but they're stuck in the middle tones, need to bump the contrast and pull tones out of the sand (if the tone is there).
Thanks for sharing,
Dave
Thank you for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.
Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com

JulianShelton

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 10:21:31 am »

Thank you very much! This is exactly the kind of feedback I wanted. I will play around with some re-edits.

I had trouble with that, while taking and composing the photographs. The color palate and tonal range was pretty much non-existent. I think I needed more contrast from shadows to really excel, compositionally. I need to go go back!

francois

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 12:23:46 pm »

Thank you very much! This is exactly the kind of feedback I wanted. I will play around with some re-edits.

I had trouble with that, while taking and composing the photographs. The color palate and tonal range was pretty much non-existent. I think I needed more contrast from shadows to really excel, compositionally. I need to go go back!
Try to stay longer in the park. Light is improving in late afternoon or be there before sunrise.
Francois

JulianShelton

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 12:36:28 pm »

I re-edited a few, nixing the black and white on a couple and increasing some contrast in a few.

I am going to head back this Spring, when I have to drive across country again

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 12:42:33 pm »

Hi Julian, and welcome to the list!  Definitely some good work there, and you've received some great feedback.  Keep shooting!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up