Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you do that with the iPad ?  (Read 7664 times)

Fritzer

Can you do that with the iPad ?
« on: November 06, 2010, 09:38:03 pm »

A lot of fuzz still about the iPad, how it's the future of this and that, and my agent just won't stop bringing it up.
Which is why I'd like to post this here, if that's ok, even though it's not quite MFDB related, but still a question for pro photographers.

I'd be very interested to hear if any of you are using an iPad in any capacity on a shoot, or as an electronic portfolio, and whether or not you consider it an asset or a liability.
I can imagine how it could be handy for presentations, even though I'm wary of the software and OS limitations, but can't see any use for it on a shoot.

Apart from a lack of proper connectivity to cameras (and computers) - correct me if I missed the latest developments - it looks to me like a possible distraction and a waste of time when it gets into the hands of clients.

Thoughts ?

PS: A random discussion .

Graham Mitchell

Re: Can you do that with the iPad ?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 10:42:43 pm »

Just so you know, there is a separate pro forum: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?board=48.0

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:57:26 am »

Take a look at this app which was developed by a photographer for photographers

It was recently reviewed (with some other apps) in this article

Here's another and of course there's this one

Yair
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:19:41 am by yaya »
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Fritzer

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 08:46:03 am »

Graham : I know, just thought this is more related to workflow/ actual use than business or computing.

Yaya : thanks for the links; it all looks rather clumsy to me, solutions looking for problems and all that .
There are quite a few more articles on the web by photographers using the iPad as a portfolio, personally I find the existing implementations very limited and visually unappealing compared to what can be done with a laptop.
Also, I find the iPad unsanitary when used by several people, no kidding.
But those are just my own humble opinions, and I'm getting the 11" MacBook Air instead of the iPad anyways.

But I'm straying from my own questions; is anyone around here using it, and how ist that working for you ?

I'm genuinely interested, I feel like there is some pressure to always go with the latest tech, whether it makes good sense or not .
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:52:18 am by Fritzer »

pcunite

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:49:23 am »

I'd be very interested to hear if any of you are using an iPad in any capacity on a shoot, or as an electronic portfolio, and whether or not you consider it an asset or a liability.
I can imagine how it could be handy for presentations, even though I'm wary of the software and OS limitations, but can't see any use for it on a shoot.

I use one as a portfolio to show to potential clients. I do ad work for local business so I show them the last ad I did to convince them to go with me. The monitor in the iPad is very close to a proper IPS display. I don't feel like the iPad is high-end however, a printed book is much better I think. Every tom, dick, and harry the hack photographer is going to be running around with an iPad in a year I bet.

On set I have not used the iPad yet. However, I have a big shoot coming up and don't want to bring a PC/LCD to the location. I thought about just bringing my laptop (tethered to it, I use Canon) and the iPad and coping files between them so I could review the lighting. I wish the iPad was not such a bear for this sort of thing. I hate jail breaking to make it work. The real solution is on the horizon as IPS displays will be appearing in laptops by next year. Indeed an HP model supposedly has one now.

BJNY

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 10:03:24 am »

The real solution is on the horizon as IPS displays will be appearing in laptops by next year. Indeed an HP model supposedly has one now.

I've been hoping....do you have concrete info this is happening?
Guillermo

pcunite

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 02:06:53 pm »

I've been hoping....do you have concrete info this is happening?

I feel pretty confident, my opinion of course, based on researching the HP 8740W. It is here and now. This meant that in the year 2010, we had a iPhone 4, iPad, and now a laptop all with IPS displays. This is a good indicator that brands like ThinkPad (my personal fav) can source them for their laptops. Of course Apple should get them as well.

Read the first post here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=35800582&changemode=1

mikeber

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 02:13:02 pm »

The fact "everyone will have these" really has no bearing to me. It's a matter of convenience. We all have smartphones, basically all computers are the same in what they do. I think people get weird about needing to be special with the labels of the things they use or own. If our work is only special because of the equipment we use for business, then the quality of work is the issue. I actually now enjoy using the same boring gear because it works, less hassle, fewer bugs using gear that gets improved and updated appropriately. I'm tired of jumping through hoops for equipment anymore.
Well said!
However, there is still one issue I don't understand: tethered for me is being able to use live view to aid composition and focusing. How can this be performed with iPad?
Also someone mentioned IPS displays. It is actually an older technology which had not been implemented because of high cost. There are already a verity of displays with this technology, from Dell Hitachi and Samsung, not only HP.
I can't tell exactly what the future brings in terms of technology but I guess that current laptops days are numbered.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:14:41 pm by mikeber »

pcunite

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 02:19:24 pm »

Considering the advancements in the last six months, I can't even imagine what we'll have in the coming years, but look forward to it.

You know ever since I picked up a digital camera I have been dreaming of the perfect setup. The crazy thing is the tech is all here right now, a manufacture just needs to decide if it worth building.

Imagine a MFD camera without a mirror. Buttons where needed of course with a 3" IPS LiveView capable display on the back. Inside this camera is RF/Wifi control for remote controlling the camera, transferring just shot RAW/JPG files to remote iPad devices (those who want larger previews), and electronic level indicator.

Make a model with a mirror for those that want it I guess. I'll keep the Canons around for times off the tripod.

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 08:23:58 pm »

I put the last video I did on the iPad, show it to Still clients during shoots and they're all like.... oooh, wow.... we should do that.

Easy marketing.

That and the boy likes to watch Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs on it.

CB

One more week out of town tomorrow and then two weeks with the Red.  Sweet.

Fritzer

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 10:15:30 pm »

Thanks for the replies, much appretiated - keep it coming please .

A live view funtion would be a big selling point for me; then again, it'd have to come to computers first, at least for Leaf users, dongle free, fully funtional with colour and such (hear that, Yaya ? ;) ), preferably wireless.

And since I'd still need a mouse and keyboard on a shoot, and tons of storage space, ICC support for the display, usable as a regular HDD, native support for the basic capture and editing programs...

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 07:22:43 am »

Hi Fritzer,

I have been testing our own iPad application over the past couple of months.

The idea is the iPad can be set up as a wireless link to your capture station.  Then you can use the ipad to simply view the shoot by either following captures in the current folder as they are shot or browsing independently.  The idea here being you can hand the iPad off to a client so they can view the shoot as it progresses.  They can also tag the images via a 5 star rating system.

For the photographer they can also have remote control capability of the camera.  So there is a virtual camera interface on screen.

The iPad and the host computer have to be on the same wireless network, or you make an Ad hoc one between the two.

I have attached a couple of screen grabs.

Currently in Beta with several testers, then will go to the Apple Store.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 09:10:33 pm »

I found this usage fairly amusing.... via RedUser.Net

-CB

revaaron

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 04:44:30 pm »

I loathe apple, but will never give up my iPad.

Here's my "work flow"
If you are going some where to sell something, bring prints if required. also, load the same portfolio on the iPad... with extras...

If you are just going about your normal days shooting and someone asks to see your work or to flip through pictures from another shoot (in my case an event shoot).  I have a script that keeps 13GB of the last pictures in a directory that the iPad syncs to.

easy.

fredjeang

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 05:06:36 pm »

One more week out of town tomorrow and then two weeks with the Red.  Sweet.

Saw the video on the blog, like it very much, the smoothness and the speed of travelings are perfect and the narrow dof on the wall sequence.

How is your personal experience with the Red?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 04:24:41 pm by fredjeang »

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 10:54:09 am »

Saw the video on the blog, like it very much,

Thanks, Man... that bit was actually with the 5d2... all on a homemade dolly.  I dig the Red, the quality is gorgeous and the workflow (Raw footage) is a lot like working with Capture 1 Pro.  It can be intimidating but just requires new skills, not necessarily harder to become proficient with.  All good things in time.  Right now on Still shoots I use the Arca and the 5d2 interchangeably...mostly the Arca and P65+ but jumping in with the 5d2 when time is short or I need to be more spontaneous (the 5d2 also does al my scouting work).  I expect to have the same dynamic on motion shoots...  Red when we have time to really setup shots and 5d2 when we need to move quick, get into small spaces or just scouting....

Cheers,
CB

fredjeang

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 05:21:09 pm »

Thanks Chris.

Good shooting days with the Red.

Fred.

pcunite

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 08:23:51 pm »

Just to update this thread with some findings everyone might consider interesting... locating computing devices with IPS display technology takes quite a bit of research... I would love to see an LL article on this subject.

The following is a known list of IPS 2010 tech (older versions may not have IPS):

* ThinkPad X201 Tablet
* HP 8740W Elite Book
* Motion Computing F5
* iMac, both sizes
* iPad
* iPhone 4

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 04:50:44 pm »

I found this usage fairly amusing.... via RedUser.Net

-CB
This is a ¿smart? way of filtering you light source... can you input an RGB value?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

peteforde

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 02:40:22 am »

I've actually found that the iPad has become my favourite way to really "see" my photographs.

When I'm working on my iMac I have access to all of my tools and of course there's a 27" screen. In other words, I'm constantly tempted to tweak a curve and most people will see my hard work in a very small format.

Almost every day I find myself looking at a photo I took six months ago with new eyes, because I'm looking at it as though it's on a backlit book. This is true in bed, at the cafe and on a shoot.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up