Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade to LR 3.2 Loses Connection with Images, Folders  (Read 1088 times)

dlc43

Upgrade to LR 3.2 Loses Connection with Images, Folders
« on: November 06, 2010, 06:56:20 pm »

Sometime after I upgraded from the Macintosh version LR 2.7 to 3, or later to 3.2, something happened to disconnect LR from the underlying folder structure of my image files.

My hierarchy structure is the following: Top or Root level: All Photos; Second level: Originals and Processed. Under Originals, at the third level, are about 30 named subfolders each containing tens to hundreds of images, and the correct number of images within each of these subfolders gets displayed on the right. Unfortunately, all of these folder levels now have grayed out disclosure arrows on the left, preventing clicking on any named folder or individual image. Also, the higher level folders named All Photos shows 0 images and Originals also shows 0 images, when previously each of these folders correctly showed the sum total of all the images contained within their hierarchies below.

When I control-click on any folder or individual image within a folder, and select Show in Finder, LR promptly and accurately locates it.  Thus, LR seems to know where these images are.

However, any attempt using Update Folder Location to reconnect the upper level folders All Photos or Originals to their proper locations in the Finder window gets the error message: No photos in selected folder. But the photos are clearly there and LR knows it as mentioned above.

This is mysterious. LR partly knows where everything is and partly is blind to folder locations.

Can you help with this?

dlc43

Re: Upgrade to LR 3.2 Loses Connection with Images, Folders
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 04:32:03 pm »

Guess what?
Victoria Bampton, the Lightroom Queen, solved this in a heartbeat!
She said simply:
The 0 images could be down to a setting – go to Library menu > Show Photos in Subfolders and make sure that's checked.  It sounds like it's only showing you the photos (or lack thereof!) directly in the parent folders.
Get her book! She's the Queen!

It worked!

Pages: [1]   Go Up