Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Na Pali Coast, Kauai  (Read 2375 times)

TerryCacek

Na Pali Coast, Kauai
« on: November 06, 2010, 12:13:55 am »

I will be in Kauai in May and want to take a boat ride along the Na Pali Coast.  Several charter companies offer several different kinds of water craft.  Does anyone know which is the best platform for photography?  I understand that some operate closer to the shore than others, but I have no perspective on this.  Will I need wide angle, telephoto, or both?  How wide?  Low long?  Recommendations on charter companies would be appreciated.  I will be part of a small party - three others plus myself, but I would be happy to go with a larger group of stangers if a larger craft would be more suitable.  My guess is that larger boats are preferred for stability and comfort.

Thanks,

Terry

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: Na Pali Coast, Kauai
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 09:38:17 am »

Honestly, I would leave the gear at home and just enjoy the ride down Na Pali. At the time the boats leave (morning) the lighting isn't great.

I highly recomend Na Pali Catamaran for the trip. See my review of them over on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/na-pali-catamaran-hanalei#hrid:sIVuYMQA3X-jLdOapsjUZw.

Also if you haven't already you should pick up a copy of Kauai Revealed.

I could go on and on, but will stop now :) We love Kauai!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

neile

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 10:35:33 am »

I should add that Ke'e beach, at the very end of the road on the northwest side of the island is a beautiful place for sunset, and you can look to your left down the beach and see some of the Na Pali cliffs with sunset glow on them. If you scramble across some of the rocks on your left you can easily get yourself a secluded part of the beach with nobody else around.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

marcmccalmont

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 09:13:53 pm »

I enjoyed the plane tour better and less expensive than the helicopter tours
Ask for the front seat!
http://www.viator.com/tours/Kauai/Entire-Kauai-Island-Air-Tour/d670-3264BIG/photos
Marc
Marc McCalmont

TerryCacek

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 11:59:52 pm »

Most boat charter companies also offer afternoon tours and the larger boats offer sunset cruises, so the direction of the light should be OK.

For my flight, I was leaning toward fixed wing.  However, I understand that the FAA prohibits fixed wings from flying below 1000 feet while there is no restriction on helicopters.  I have read that the helicopters do fly lower into the valleys.  In the context of landscape photography, is this a consideration?

Thanks again,

Terry

neile

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:34:12 pm »

The catch with afternoon trips on the Na Pali is the water is much rougher as the winds pick up. You may get better light, but the ride isn't nearly as nice.

Also, if you are looking at charters, you really want to go from the North Shore, not the South Shore. That limits you to only a handful of operators (and I personally think Na Pali Catamaran is awesome :))

Neil
Neil Enns

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 03:56:04 pm »

Second for North Shore and while the Cats are great have had some awesome trips into the caves under Na Pali if you can make a connection. The weather can be fierce as well as beautiful...  i enjoyed it all with my eyes...left the gear for Barking Sands / astounding sunsets....and Waimea Canyon (4200') in Koke'e Park (Hawaii' Grand Canyon)...If you purchase a dvd from one of the helicopter outfits it will provide you a nice overview of some of the areas you want to move around in, and used side by side with any of the beautiful guidebooks available you will be better prepared to make the most of your time there. Another note on Na Pali...we love hiking and camping and both are available by permit...there is good reason they call it Garden.

As much as we love Maine both of our sons fell in love with Hawaii and married there...one on the big island and one on Kauai...

You are in for a lot of great memories no matter what the weather... p.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:58:17 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~
Pages: [1]   Go Up