Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passing Thoughts  (Read 1296 times)

Rob C

Passing Thoughts
« on: November 05, 2010, 06:46:14 pm »

I've spent a long time over the past couple of days working on a few trannies that I found and thought I should convert to electronic images.

I scanned them, worked on them, and now I have reached a point where I simply fail to understand why I bothered. My colour sense seems to be deserting me; I find it difficult to decide what even looks right! It's as if objectivity has flown away with summer time.
I wonder if there comes a point, a moment when your head tells you enough is enough? That getting a life in something else might actually be a good idea and lead to a greater sense of living at ease with one's self?

Perhaps I'm just tired, perhaps I'm not; maybe I just realise that there are other things in life that might offer more in retirement. There is always this feeling that one can never really retire if one is a photographer, that it's either a sort of betrayal of self or of the life to do so. I wonder if it is, or whether it's just another level of the self-deception that this business seems so capable of pushing people into without them realising what might be going down.

Passing thoughts, as I said.

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 02:26:13 pm by Rob C »

Joe Behar

Re: Passing Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 06:55:50 pm »

I've spend a long time over the past couple of days working on a few trannies

Rob,

I think the section i quoted is your problem....

Step away for a while.

As I recall you spend a large chunk of your life shooting and making decisions like this. I don't think that's a skill that deserts you....ever.

Leave your camera at home and go take a long walk. Repeat for 2-3 days.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 03:55:17 am »

"You will go far, young man"...

When you start thinking that your work is adequate, that is when you stop improving, and it is the pictures you reject that makes the rest good, and makes your reputation.

...but neither you nor I have many decades left to improve.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 04:29:11 am »

...but neither you nor I have many decades left to improve.

Ain't that the truth!

But it's isn't really about improving; I don't believe you do. That's why I have, in other threads, stuck with my belief that you can or you can not do it, whatever the medium. Of course you can, have to, learn techniques, but I sense that you are born with the ability to 'see' or 'create' from next to nothing other than the materials you are able to gather before you.

Worse, it strikes me that one spends a lot of one's life recreating the very same mood over and over again. It's as if there's a single ideal image somewhere in the subconscious and the rest of life is spent trying to articulate it as best we can. And that's not just people snappers: look at almost anything you can think of and the big boys are doing more or less what I think I have described. Maybe they just don't see it, or have so many other 'fingers' stuck into their pie that their personal input is sometimes swamped and not so obvious.

Buy yes, I agree with the consensus: have a break.

Funny how I didn't need one when I was young.

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 04:59:59 am »

Its getting more difficult to find new and interesting things the older you get, since you have seen a lot in the past. And if you have tried out a lot of things there are less new left.
Such a crisis in creativity, which might look as some sort of emptiness or even depression is necessary at times. In the end what counts is the sustained long-term effort you are investing. Effort will make it possible to overcome such times of emptiness and pointlessness. And overcoming this is a creative task on its own.
When I myself have such times in my life its always a sure sign that something went in the wrong direction and I have to re-think the old paths and see where routine or convenience started killing creativity.

And now for something completely different .....

stamper

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 05:02:49 am »

This week I have been taking a break and believe it or not I have been doing a jigsaw. A couple of times I have looked for a piece to fit in and I couldn't see it. Took a break and when I returned it was there before my eyes. So this problem isn't just about photography. It is important to have more than one outlet. I think you know the answer! :)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 05:30:46 am »

Winter blues is coming .....

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 11:44:13 am »

Winter blues is coming .....

Already landed.

:-(

Rob C