Poll

should i use linux for digital photography

linux for photography
- 1 (50%)
should i use linux
- 1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux for digital photography  (Read 35138 times)

jalcocer

Re: Linux for digital photography
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 03:55:24 pm »

Right now, trying digikam, with gimp and krita for my amateur work. I know it is not exactly lightroom, but has a lot of features, and it is free, good thing since at the moment I'm really low on cash, and don't want to get into any hacked software. I'm still trying to find out if it is good enough for doing my first steps into digital photography, so if any one here has linux experience about this please let me know. regards

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 02:38:01 am »

Right now, trying digikam, with gimp and krita for my amateur work. I know it is not exactly lightroom, but has a lot of features, and it is free, good thing since at the moment I'm really low on cash, and don't want to get into any hacked software. I'm still trying to find out if it is good enough for doing my first steps into digital photography, so if any one here has linux experience about this please let me know. regards

My complete workflow involves:
  • Rapid Photo Downloader to get the photographs out of the card.
  • Geeqie to discard the bad ones.
  • Raw Therapee for the RAW conversion.
  • GIMP for the retouching.
  • Hugin for the panoramas.
  • PFSTools for the HDRs.
  • Picassa for the classification.
  • Jalbum for the on-line album.
  • And some scripts of my own to make all this work together.

There is a longer (but outdated, unfortunately) explanation at my blog: "Digital Photography and Linux: my Workflow";
hope this helps, feel free to ask if you need more info.

jalcocer

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 06:22:42 pm »

Thanks for your post, I'll read it for sure. Right now after a long quest inside linux for the right distro I kept ubuntu, I think is the one with the best hardware and software support. Used digikam with kde, that was my main reason for changing distro (guess I fell in the class of those linux users pure kde or pure gnome), but sincerely I've found digikam (not kde) to be more slow to use than other options, having to open one by one every editing option from the menu bar is not the best thing for me to do, I rather find that annoying. Back to bibble 5 pro, I really liked that one, really easy to use, at least for me the menus and tool bars are better positioned and the editting is amazing.

jalcocer

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 08:54:37 pm »

Maybe some of you linux users can answer this question, I tend to think (from my point of view, based on the tools that can be used), that kde is more oriented to photography and video than gnome, please let me know what you think

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2010, 07:29:30 am »

Maybe some of you linux users can answer this question, I tend to think (from my point of view, based on the tools that can be used), that kde is more oriented to photography and video than gnome, please let me know what you think

I think are quite agnostic in this sense; perhaps there is a bit more photo/video software written for KDE, but remember you can always use KDE software on a GNOME desktop.

jalcocer

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 10:55:05 am »

As today, I keep going with linux, after lot of distro search I kept ubuntu 10.10, but I'm still teasing with the idea of going back to win7 x64, besides my interest in amateur photography I also occasionally develop websites,  some flash animations, and some video editing. As far for video editing linux has really good tools (maybe not as good as the ones from windows or mac), but I hit a wall when trying to develop some flash animations for a client, there is still no look in finding an app in linux to create flash content, even mac with his hate to flash can use flash pro, so I had to go to another pc and install flash and made the animation.
That made me wonder, should I set a partition and run windows just for my animation content whenever I need?, should I completely go back to windows?
What makes me be this kind of lost, are viruses, resource hugging, cause the last time I tried to go back to windows and installed it, I really felt the system slow, compared to linux, I can double up the ram in my pc, that is not a problem, but I'm still thinking, what to do, what to do.

jalcocer

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2010, 02:17:57 pm »

Well, as right now I have dual boot on my pc, 7/64 and ubuntu/64, windows is only running for analog video capture (didn't want to expend on a new capture card) and flash content creation (sadly haven't found one good app for linux yet), and ubuntu for everything else. I went for bibble 5 pro, which I might say has a lot of really good features, at least for me as a beginner, has everything I could ask for (dont know about you in a higher rank, would like to hear from those who had already tried it, even in mac or windows), has good enough library features, all the editing plugins I want to learn how to use and besides everything else, it is fast. Digikam was a good choice also but really didn't like that you have to go all the way to the menu bar, and make the editing one plugin at a time, here it is more friendly and quick to do.
Although, it's the holidays and I'm still not satisfied, not at all, and I know why is that, I want a mac, that's the true.
A few days ago I was looking for a gift for my wife, and ended up in sears (the only credit card I own) and found out they remodeled the store, and something new, they had mac's for sale (I'm from Mexico, guess that explains why Sears just got macs), and they were in offer and in a 15 month payment with your credit card from the store, I couldn't believe it (not many choices though, they didn't have all the line, only one imac model, couple of macbooks pro and the white one).
I was planning on saving some money to purchase a mac mini from one of my suppliers (I sell computers and hardware), cause since I have no credit there, everything needs to be purchased in cash. So I thought with my budget to go for a 2.4 mini, max it up to 8gb, and maybe one 80gb ssd, and an external 1tb fw800 for all my photos, videos and everything else. I heard aperture and final cut express are not so mean on the mini when it comes to moderate video projects and not so big of a library.
But after this, I totally want a new Imac, I know it's only the i3 3ghz and 4gb, also 256 ati, and 21.5 display. But hey, it's 1980x1020 ips panel, in no time I could upgrade that 500gb drive to one of my really good samsung 1tb, and keep couple of externals, add an extra 8gb for a total of 12, use my 24 tn dell as a secondary display (perhaps good to fit all the open windows and video editing) and the core i3 its way more faster than core2duo the mac mini has.
It's only 256 of video, but I'm not a gamer, I dont use 3d animation or editing, only simple video projects and my library at the moment is under 5000 pictures.
So, what do you think? Should I go for it? wait to save some money and go for another model cash? go for the mini? keep my actual setup? Anyway, I hope I can solve this problem during this days, don't think the 15 month offer will last that long.

jalcocer

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 03:30:31 pm »

Well, just to comment that I've just purchased my new imac, core i3 3.06 4gb 500gb hd, 21.5" ips screen, sadly I'll get it till tomorrow cause there was no stock in store, so in the mean time I'm planning on the apps I'm going to install and making a backup of everything. Already have on my drive the installation files for aperture 3, final cut express and adobe design suite, hope everything works just fine.

jalcocer

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 10:21:40 am »

just finished setting up my mac, well almost everything still couple of things left, but already with another 4 gigs and on the desk with all cleaned up and organized, had to buy a new hd case for my 1tb 7200 seagate but other than that all good. Have to say 8 gigs seems just a temporal option, took a look at the system monitor and saw at one point, 7 gigs of those 8 used by my system, guess its all because of the 64bit, dont really know how much aperture was using, but only had aperture open and a couple of finder windows backing up some things.

Thanks a lot to all the people who were kind enough to provide a contribution for me. I know it is not a mac pro, but looks pretty nice at the moment and for the price I could afford, besides I'm just beginning, perhaps when the moment is right I could get the mac pro.

regards

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 11:12:41 am »

Hi,

It's the idea that the system would use all memory, so that is no issue for panic.

You may check this: http://macperformanceguide.com/Mac-MonitoringTips.html

That said, having mucho memory is a good idea.

Best regards
Erik

just finished setting up my mac, well almost everything still couple of things left, but already with another 4 gigs and on the desk with all cleaned up and organized, had to buy a new hd case for my 1tb 7200 seagate but other than that all good. Have to say 8 gigs seems just a temporal option, took a look at the system monitor and saw at one point, 7 gigs of those 8 used by my system, guess its all because of the 64bit, dont really know how much aperture was using, but only had aperture open and a couple of finder windows backing up some things.

Thanks a lot to all the people who were kind enough to provide a contribution for me. I know it is not a mac pro, but looks pretty nice at the moment and for the price I could afford, besides I'm just beginning, perhaps when the moment is right I could get the mac pro.

regards
Erik Kaffehr

jalcocer

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 11:20:11 am »

thanks a lot that is really helpful, this forum is amazing, lots of people available to help one out.

regards

Thestorms

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 05:00:09 am »

For amateur use linux is very suitable. First its hard to learn, but have used it more than 2 years i see no way back to windows.

For workflow, theres lots of programs. like shotwell http://www.yorba.org/shotwell/ or f-spot

For image/photo editing theres gimp. In 2.8 you have single windows mode, so its similar to photoshop. Theres lots of features (already done) to add to gimp's core but theres not enough developers (as i understand only few 'full time' developers :( ). So if you can write code, then help them out or donate the project :)

http://www.gimp.org/ but remember gimp is only 8bit yet

For raw editing you have ufraw, rawtherapee, rawstudio and ohters. And ofcourse you have darktable http://darktable.sourceforge.net/screenshots.shtml

Havent had any problems with monitor calibration etc in linux.

People who say that photoshop is nr 1 make no sense because every individual have different needs.

Btw theres rumours that adobes creative suit may come to linux platform. So prepare yourself downloading linux mint 10 and using these instructions to make live usb and test it out http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

jalcocer

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 04:48:31 pm »

Have to say, I'm really happy with my mac, although sometimes I miss linux, don't know why, :), but that aside, it's been a really good experience, forgot what it felt to own a mac. Aperture is amazing, really full of features, at least for me as a beginner is really great. Final cut express is still on the go haven't used it that much. I'm really glad I sold my soul for this mac :D.

Regards

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 04:41:27 pm »

If you lock down your Win7 well with proper virus protection program, don't use IE, and install NoScript and ABP on FF, and don't download pirated software you'll be fine. Win7 has a solid built-in firewall as well.

.....and (the list continues :o) don't surf under Administrator's rights.
NoScript I can ggogle but what is ABP?

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 04:57:43 pm »

.....and (the list continues :o) don't surf under Administrator's rights.
NoScript I can ggogle but what is ABP?

ABP => Add Block Plus

tikal

• Kahl Sutherland Studio
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2011, 01:04:32 am »

I would strongly suggest doing a dual boot setup. It all depends on how you use your post processing tools in the end. GIMP and photoshop are very similar but if you like to use filters and auto tools you'd be better off with photoshop. Of course you could always just use linux only and emulate photoshop with WINE or something.

ErnestMcGill

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 03:52:13 am »

Is it possible to run Lightroom and Photoshop under WINE?

I don't know much about Linux or WINE.   I just know that WINE is something that runs under Linux and makes it possible to run Windows programs.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 04:26:47 am »

Is it possible to run Lightroom and Photoshop under WINE?

I don't know much about Linux or WINE.   I just know that WINE is something that runs under Linux and makes it possible to run Windows programs.

You can somewhat run some Windows programs on Linux, using WINE; you can see a list of Adobe apps and how well they work under WINE at http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?bIsQueue=false&bIsRejected=false&sClass=vendor&iId=12&sAction=view&sTitle=View+Vendor.

AvidVisionary

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 10:47:44 am »

I have not read anyone mention "virtualization". You can have windows running through VMWare while your main OS is ubuntu. That way you get to keep ubuntu and still use photoshop because the gimp is no where near the power of photoshop. I did it before. I got windows running inside a MAC and I was using after effects and photoshop with final cut studio.

tikal

• Kahl Sutherland Studio
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2011, 03:40:26 am »

VMWare would definitely be the best route to go. WINE is a way to run a single program inside linux and I haven't used it in years. With VMWare you could be in linux and have a window opened with a full windows OS inside. Just make sure you have enough RAM and a good processor. If I were you I'd just install grub and dual boot though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up