Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer Profiling Problems  (Read 3830 times)

Bonthron

Printer Profiling Problems
« on: November 04, 2010, 04:29:05 pm »

I am having a real problem getting good profiles for the 2 Canon iPF6100 and 6 iPF5100 printers in our college print lab using PS v12 (CS5) and LR v3. Skin tones are too magenta, the blues skew towards green, and the blacks and dark shadows are filling in black about 15% before they should. There are also slight differences between the output of both of those programs using the same printer profiles on the same printers and paper.

Hardware:
- Mac 2.66 Quad-Cores, OS X 10.6.4, Eizo ColorEdge CG222W Display (i1Pro and ColorEyes Display Pro calibrated)
- Canon iPF5100 and 6100 printers Firmware v1.38

Papers:
- Canon Heavyweight Satin Photographic Paper
- Canon Heavyweight Glossy Photographic Paper
- Fine Art Bright White
- Graphic Matte Canvas Hi Brite

Printer profiling process:
- Bill Atkinson 5202 Patch RGB Targets printed from Photoshop v11.0 (CS4) with no colour management
- dry overnight
- Read with eye-one iSis XL and MeasureTool v5.0.10
- Profile created in ProfileMaker 5.0.10
  - Profile Size: Large
  - Perceptual Rendering Intent: Neutral Gray
  - Gamut Mapping: LOGO Classic (also tried Colorful and Chroma Plus)

I am getting consistent profiles (tried 4 times) using this workflow, so something else is wrong here and I'm not sure what to try. I'm new to this high-level of colour calibration and I've been trying to read as much as I can in traditional books and online, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any info or your thoughts would be most appreciated!

TIA

Chris

Doyle Yoder

Re: Printer Profiling Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 05:49:36 pm »

Sounds like you need to update the special casing file AppColorMatchingInfo.xml.

Check the CanoniPF wiki.

Doyle

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:51:16 am »

Printer profiling process:
- Bill Atkinson 5202 Patch RGB Targets printed from Photoshop v11.0 (CS4) with no colour management

Using such a large patch set could potentially be an issue. The 6100 is a fairly linear machine. My experience with my own machine and the Profile Maker engine is that more patches with this particular printer does not necessarily yield a better result, in fact it can get worse (much worse in some cases).

I'd suggest trying the 1452 patch target (or possibly make a custom 1000 patch target). If you're not using the Photoshop plugin for the ipf x100 series for printing the targets I would suggest doing so. Most of the Atkinson targets are 16 bits. I don't know how much of a difference this would make in the overall profile but if you're printing them with the 8 bit driver there's probably the potential to introduce either rounding or truncation error.

Make sure you do head and print feed calibrations on both machines as well.

Cheers, Joe

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:31:06 am »

Did you run the printer's on-board calibration routine prior to profiling? Skipping this step is very common - Canon should make a bigger deal about it's importance. Also, I'm not a big fan of ProfileMakerPro's profiles. Monaco Profiler and the upcoming i1Profiler are much better (to the discerning eye). As mentioned, BA's 1728 target and the Photoshop plug-in are both excellent for profiling the iPF printers.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

shewhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:24:33 am »

Also, I'm not a big fan of ProfileMakerPro's profiles. Monaco Profiler and the upcoming i1Profiler are much better (to the discerning eye).

I'll ditto this, especially when it comes to the reproduction of detail in out of gamut colors.

Cheers, Joe

nkpoulsen

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 11:18:04 pm »

I believe that Atkinson recommends Logo Colorful as the gamut mapping option for ProfilMaker 5.  I had an email discussion about this with him.

Does this paper have optical brighteners?  "Hi Bright" gives the impression that this is the case.  Does your reading device have a UV cut filter option?  If not, perhaps that's the problem?  
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:19:47 pm by nkpoulsen »

shewhorn

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 11:51:15 pm »

He stated he was using an iSis which is capable of both UV cut and full spectrum readings. Profile Maker itself can also compensate for OBAs for data obtained from a non-filtered instrument like an Eye One Pro without UV cut.

Cheers, Joe

nkpoulsen

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 02:16:14 am »

He stated he was using an iSis which is capable of both UV cut and full spectrum readings. Profile Maker itself can also compensate for OBAs for data obtained from a non-filtered instrument like an Eye One Pro without UV cut.

Cheers, Joe

Thanks.  I wasn't aware of that.

The ProfileMaker software compensation without the UV cut filter affects only the perceptual rendering intent portion of the profile.   It does not affect either of the colorimetric rendering intents or the saturation rendering intent. 

shewhorn

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 01:10:38 pm »

Thanks.  I wasn't aware of that.

The ProfileMaker software compensation without the UV cut filter affects only the perceptual rendering intent portion of the profile.   It does not affect either of the colorimetric rendering intents or the saturation rendering intent. 

Ditto re: the thanks. Didn't know that about the UV compensation with PM (I'm using Monaco Profiler... no software compensation there, gotta do it on the device itself).

Cheers, Joe

nkpoulsen

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 01:51:38 pm »

Ditto re: the thanks. Didn't know that about the UV compensation with PM (I'm using Monaco Profiler... no software compensation there, gotta do it on the device itself).

Cheers, Joe

It doesn't help me much either, because almost exclusively, I use the relative colorimetric rendering intent for printing.  Fortunately, I also have UV cut filter capability.
Pages: [1]   Go Up