Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imageprint - worth the $ ? - compare to QImage? other views please!  (Read 60410 times)

aaronchan

Re: Imageprint - worth the $ ? - compare to QImage? other views please!
« Reply #140 on: December 17, 2014, 06:32:05 am »

You never print in B&W? I find that the quality of the B&W profiles that ImagePrint has is superior to what I can create, no matter how hard I try. And as the B&W prints in ImagePrint don't use any of the yellow ink, they will last a lot longer than a B&W print made with a colour profile or with Epson's ABW option.

Yes, I do.
But I'm sorry, I don't really see the huge difference between both of them.
I know Michael said that the curve of top of the line product is almost very flat.
But as a shop owner, I do also have to concern about the balance between my investment and my income.
If it does not create higher profit than my current workflow, why should I invest a new equipement?
Longevity is very important, but by some how, I think this term has been over rated in someway.
I studied fine art as my major, to me, art is itself.
I, as a human being, changes all the time when time pass by.
I do believe changes in an art piece is acceptable.
But of course it better stays what it looks like after 30 years when I sold the piece to my collector.
Otherwise I will either have to reprint it or the value of my other works might just drop a bit.

Let me put this in another way, very selfish to say that, but personally I don't really care about longevity of my personal work.
If it will last for another 50 years, I'm good with it, I'll be in my 80s by that time.
I don't really give a dime after that, cuz I'll probably gonna be dead anytime soon.

I don't think da vinci had thought about his work can last that long too. (Just my thought of it, maybe he really did)

Nothing is perfect, IP is not, QI is not as well.
Just my personal favor doesn't mean is the best for the others,
but at least it works for me and I can still pay my bill for my rent and my coffee every morning.
Just like profiling, you want the piece come out numerical perfect or more eye pleasing?
I would choose the later one.

aaron

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2014, 10:48:25 am »

I'm talking about RIP software for prepress. These are the controllers of what is considered "certified" or not.
As Jeff points out, this has absolutely nothing to do with Imageprint. I’ve worked with it and clients since the days it ran under OS9 and everyone of those clients were working in RGB workflows to produce ‘fine art’ prints, nothing to do with Prepress. I’ve been over their site (not with a fine tooth comb) and find nothing about SWOP or for that matter, the company suggesting it is for prepress work, cannot find the term SWOP anywhere.

Question Phil, have you ever used ImagePrint?

Further, your ideas about a SWOP monopoly don’t make any sense to me and since you made the point, be useful if you’d explain what you’re talking about. Here are the facts about SWOP which has nothing to do with ink jet printing of RGB data:

Specifications for Web Offset Publications. The SWOP committee came together in 1974 when a group of printers formed this organization to provide some standards for web offset presses. The web in this case shouldn’t be confused with the Internet (World Wide Web), but rather a printing process using large rolls of paper instead of the alternative, which is a sheet-fed press (printing onto cut sheets). The large rolls of paper were known as webs. In 1977, the SWOP committee produced standards for printers to follow and have published updates over the years. To clarify the goal of the SWOP committee, the following quote from their mission statement follows.
SWOP Mission
The mission of SWOP is to continually raise the level of quality of publication printing by setting forth specifications and tolerances.
The SWOP committee is attempting to produce reasonable goals and consistent expectations for print vendors to follow. The SWOP organization publishes very detailed specifications about aim points that when followed, produce SWOP press behavior.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2014, 12:09:42 pm »

have you ever used ImagePrint?

It doesn't change anything if I used it or not. I have used 4 different RIP systems, QImage I an not sure what catagory it falls in, but it will be the 5th printing software I use.
I don't need to use ImagePrint to give my opinion of how I think RIP systems that sell $XXX are a huge burden on the Fine Artist, and the independent printer.
the discussion at this point is not even about how the software works.
You're repeating yourself. If you don't see a parallel, and you find yourself in the defensive, there are other topics.

Also true as pointed out, I use a HP, as I have learned to hate using the Epson printers over the past decade, even when I have loved the prints they make.
If this doesn't make sense, then you are lucky and a different user.

Speaking from experiences in other threads, maybe we are close to getting at the polar differences on how one thinks. I think it is vital for such polarity to exist in creating a balance in everything, but sometimes we just get fed up and vent. No need to pick at every thread to drive a point.

Most RIPs are overpriced for the independent printer and specially the fine artist. Sometimes there are groups and boards with members in place to protect such interests. Is this really hard to see and believe?

Have you looked at a chart of which printer models are within SWOP spec and which are not in the past 10 years? If you did, you would know exactly what I'm talking about. There is plenty for you with starting there  for info and seeing how printers get in and out over the years.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:13:59 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2014, 12:40:49 pm »

It doesn't change anything if I used it or not.
That’s what I suspected in terms of your ‘rant’ of ImagePrint. And what appears to be the nonsensical SWOP monopoly text too. Enough said.

Jglaser757

« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2014, 02:04:38 pm »

Im using IP about 3 weeks now! ;D It has produced much better profiles than I could done..Much better than anything the epson can produce, including ABW.

I did find a paper that was not in their profile library. They wanted me to send them my samples..Well, i decided to not to do that! So,, no chromaroll.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2014, 06:26:30 pm »

That’s what I suspected in terms of your ‘rant’ of ImagePrint. And what appears to be the nonsensical SWOP monopoly text too. Enough said.

I didn't even mention the name IP. Your sense of defensiveness is whats ridiculous.

That's how "invested" you are in Imageprint?  Block out anything that might tarnish the thought of it ?
Sounds like you are somehow affiliated or you've got some relation.

I didn't refer to a specific RIP. Odd how you run and protect any thread that goes against your level of understanding, or threatens it.
Try and jump in once in awhile for the sake of discussion and advice, etc.
(Not only for the sake of "trying to disqualify" someone to protect yourself). Maybe you have?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2014, 06:49:28 pm »

I didn't even mention the name IP.
IP is ImagePrint. That's the topic here. It's actually part the topic title!
That's how "invested" you are in Imageprint?
Zero investment, I haven't used it since version 6. My investment is in seeing that people don't produce silly rants that have no basis in fact like a so called SWOP monopoly, whatever that is supposed to be (you made it up, can't you explain and defend it?) or that the price of a RIP is too high for you so it has to be for everyone. IF that were true, and it certainly isn't, ColorByte and a slew of other companies that produce what some call a "RIP" would have gone out of business long ago. Clearly that isn't the case Phil.
I didn't refer to a specific RIP.
Oh so you are now going to lump every and all RIP's into your rant? You'd be better off just blaming IP at this point.
Try and jump in once in awhile for the sake of discussion and advice, etc.
My advise to others would be, based on your post about all RIPs and the SWOP monopoly, your writings should be ignored. OK?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:53:35 pm by digitaldog »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2014, 07:03:04 pm »

Phil, just so you don't go off mad, let me point out that this topic is over a year old**. I've posted multiple times from the beginning. You came here yesterday and kind of hijack it, go off topic about SWOP monopolies, proofing RIPS (which neither QImage or IP are intended for) then get pissed when called out about what certainly seems to be a rant. I thought it was directed at IP but now you're telling us you're referring to all RIPs so you've taken a perfectly useful set of posts where it was never intended to go, presumably to let us know how you feel about said products. I suppose that's a useful exercise for you, but as Jeff pointed out, it has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.    

Based on the above post facts, it's interesting you would come here and write: Try and jump in once in awhile for the sake of discussion and advice, etc. You are the pot calling the kettle black Phil.

** my mistake, more than 4 years old. Where you been Phil?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:07:25 pm by digitaldog »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2014, 02:01:32 am »

I resurrected it...
in a new direction :-)

For this, you can make up for it by helping random posts, none related to color! :-)

And I will post on threads with direct measurable input.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up