Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: You can do that with . . .  (Read 8051 times)

Rob C

Re: You can do that with . . .
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 11:54:12 am »

Coot, you have a sense of humour that you keep hidden too often!

Okay, maybe you don't get much downtime, but at least you now know what to do with it when you get it... post more of the same.

Rob C

BrendanStewart

• http://www.symbolphoto.com
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 06:22:17 pm »

The talk here is fun but it’s the walk that matters.

Ok i'll bite. Certainly not my best, but was just having fun enjoying a rare free friday night...

Video of the setup: 

Enjoy.

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 03:43:29 am »

Just think, Fred: in Mallorca, she'd have worked for €50 a day!

I had a dream...

Rob C

P.S. On a technical/aesthetic level, I feel there are too many lights. This may be an 'innocent's' question, but why isn't one large, flattish fill enough? Do people really have to put highlights onto everything?
There are some shots in a pool where the girl has a blueish bikini: it looks beautiful and feminine and soft (fifth shot from the start); why is there this desire to harden everything up? Of course, it could all be the clients request/fault and a need to be cutting-edge, but it's so brittle that it really does cut.

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 06:22:45 am »

Keith, it's weired, could play both videos instantanously.
Sometimes it could happen that one site is saturated at that moment, or simply a browser issue so you have to refresh. In general, when it happens I just reload the page and it would work. Also, if you use safari, well this bird is not the best Mac has produced to be honest. I saw it zillion times on every mac that I know freeze for no reason.

Rob, I agree that the continous light with soft screen is enough, although the video does not really show how much darker was reality, but basically they do that to equilibrate temp. I quite like the ring flash and I was thinking about it this morning, that is the only flash that fits in my "flash-arsenal". I personally prefer the more "burned whitish look", with direct HMI in the ww2 style when they where sinking enemy planes pointing the sky, but the problem is that it tends to provoque tears in the eyes. I must have japanese (or scotish!) blood in my veins cause I love washed white delicate skins.  

About the possibilities, they are high to be honest. To give you an idea, this picture of Diana Gartner is art printed about 2meters long and this is really really good quality. Not lidke a big MF back, but not too far. So the Canon is a serious tool also.

That's a much nicer (to me) image; I like back lighting a lot, but prefer the front bit to be pretty gentle.

But viewing distance is ever the key. I used to produce 40x60 inch blow ups for stores from 35mm HP4 and they worked well, and similar sized ones from 6x6 Ektachrome for fashion exhibitions on tour around the world for manufacturers. In both cases, it all depended where they were put and how close people were likely to get to them.

There is no doubt that a large team can do things a single shooter can't. I grew up working mainly alone - in the days of b/w it was so much easier to control the prints but when it was transparency time, your possibilities were much narrower, as was the time of day you could do much work, so it was early morning and late evening by choice, but often you had to use times with bad light just to finish the job. Life is a compromise!

Ciao

Rob C

Fritzer

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 08:50:20 am »

Hey , are we back to comparing formats again ? ;)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 09:17:11 am »

Hey , are we back to comparing formats again ? ;)

Nope, that's the other thread.
This is just a friendly discussion how good each format is when you put it in the right hands  ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 10:57:47 am »

By the way Pegelli, beautifull macro shots in your site. I saw that you use a Minolta, was it the 7D? I really liked this camera handling/ergonomics. Shame that they disapeared.

Thanks for the encouragement Fred, and indeed macro is one of my hobbies. Whenever I'm in a creative slump (happens to all of us) it's always macro that pulls me out and start "seeing" again.
My Minolta was the "small brother" of the 7D, i.e the 5D. Same sensor and image quality but ergonomics/handling not to the same standard. My dad has (and still uses) a 7D and it's a very good camera if you can live with 6MP. In the meantime I've given in and converted to Sony but still my 5D gets used once in a while.
pieter, aka pegelli

Fritzer

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 10:38:03 pm »

... how good each format is when you put it in the right hands  ;)

Aka: It's not the camera, stupid !
That's one of the very basics of format war .
Zero relevance in the trade, but comes with the unshakable confidence of a life-time water colorist.

The war cry of the tea-baggers in photography.
Now there's an sight to behold. ;)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up