Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying a NEC monitor  (Read 1973 times)

cokonut

Buying a NEC monitor
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:03:04 pm »

Hi, I find it really hard to understand the difference between all the NEC monitors. I get lost in all the terms and specs. I hope someone can see things more clearly than I do. This is the situation: I have just moved to USA and need a monitor for a few months only, so I don´t want to spend too much, somewhere between $700-1000, up to $1200 if necessary. In Europe I have a Eizo CG19 - which is of course very small but the colors are right. Any increase in size is a bonus, I don´t need a huge dispay, but would prefer something between 21"-25" (widescreen). Eizo is great, but I hope that I will manage just fine with a NEC to save money. (I will probably buy a larger Eizo when I move back home.) I have a gretagmacbeth i1 (or EyeOne), it is probably 4 years old, but I hope I don´t have to buy a new one for the new monitor. I make pictures for magazines and books + fine art prints, so I guess I should go for a monitor that comes close to 100% adobe rgb.

So, my question is simply (and yet so difficult) which NEC monitor would be the best within these limits?

(I saw KirbyKriegers thread regarding a similar topic less than a week ago, but since then the prices seem to have increased by almost $200. Does that mean the whole line of NEC monitors have increased, or is it only the 2490WUXi2-BK 24" that suddenly became a not-so-good-buy?)

C.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Re: Buying a NEC monitor
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 10:00:34 pm »

Fwiw, I have no idea why the NEC 2490WUXI2 24" MULTISYNC LCD MONITOR at B&H has gone up almost $200 US in price.

I did buy one, and it is such an enormous performance increase on what I'd been using that I'm thrilled.  My opinion isn't worth near as much as some of the hard-working pros whose comments I read prior to buying: it's comes highly recommended though it is now perhaps slightly out-of-date.

If you can catch it at $700 (as it did), don't hesitate to buy it.  (I had to purchase quickly.)  I did spend the additional $89 to purchase the NEC SpectraView II software (direct from NEC) to use with my ColorMunki Photo spectrophotometer.  I'm not finished working out the whole Camera→Print consistency, but the SpectraView is easy to use and gives me no indication that it won't work superbly and help achieve as close to possible as true WYSIWG photo editing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up