Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graceland  (Read 3536 times)

Riaan van Wyk

Graceland
« on: November 02, 2010, 04:31:49 pm »

I have written and re-written this post how many times and hope it makes sense now, although I doubt it does anyway. The gist about this is music and the way the lyrics and "composition" has different effects on different people and, importantly ( or not) how it somehow has a bearing about what I do behind the camera.

The title of this is a song by Paul Simon, on an album produced in conjunction with a South African outfit ( Ladysmith Black Mambazo) that spoke to me the first time I heard it 20 or so years ago. Graceland- being an Elvis fan, seemed to be a place I wanted to see one day, a place were the shadows that follow me can be laid to rest. But I found "my Graceland,"  in the area depicted here in this photo, as the place has the same emotional value to me as Graceland has for the father and nine year old son in the song. The area is one of the last realy pristine estuarine habitats left in my country, with a recorded history spanning about five hundred years with regard to the owners and people who have made these fishtraps, closely interlinked with the tides and somehow having worked out the sustainability of each of the traps, without harming the breeding population of this estuary. There is such an immense feeling of sollitude and belonging that I can't help but calling it, in my framework of refference, Graceland. I don't even know why I'm sharing this, I guess the voices in my head needed to talk to someone else as I don't answer them anymore.

TaDa

Re: Graceland
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:17:19 pm »

Awesome image and great story.  A sense of "home"

John R

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:39:51 pm »

Awesome image and great story.  A sense of "home"
Well, I concur. The image, despite its bold colours, is not a typical postcardy image. I do like how you managed to make the vertical stilts, white and all fit in nicely, with the rest of the blue scene, and lead the eye to the horizon and dynamic cloud patterns.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 11:24:05 pm »

Yes to what TaDa and John R have said. Beautiful and very moving.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 05:29:50 am »

I don't even know why I'm sharing this, I guess the voices in my head needed to talk to someone else as I don't answer them anymore.

But I do.

You should not stop answering them; as you get older you will realise that they usually know a hell of a lot more about your life than do the voices from outside, voices that can, at best, interpret only from the morsels of information you choose to throw their way.

The picture? I like it too, and if comment is acceptable, all I'd do differently (assuming I saw the image waiting there in the first place!) is to increase the amount of fencing on the left side, maybe by shifting my position slightly to the right of the scene. I would have liked more of it on show. The dynamic/direction of the whispy cloud trails is very helpful to the total feel of the shot.

Nice stuff.

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 05:36:56 am »

Regarding the picture I fully agree with Rob and it was my first thought when I viewed it. As to the voices he also has a point.  :)

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 06:38:44 pm »

I can see the makings of an handsome series photographing the area in and around this fish weir.  The native Americans here in North America were extremely skilled in this art of food gathering, whether the weirs be stone in shallow waters or the larger staked affairs as you show here in tidal waters...I too have found these structures chillingly communicative...a very audible ancient conversation going on...The fishermen in the state of Maine also built beautiful and efficient structures...most in their last crumbling lives now...I can see behind the weir section closest to us in your picture another section behind and upstream...looking at your sky expanses and the medians of the weir there are other wonderful photographic and psychological treasures in this location...I hope you'll find the way to gift us with more...

I love that you were open to the voices here and in your head...we need much more of the like...p.
A common woman~

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 12:45:47 pm »

The "voices" seems to have found an audience. Thank you all for reading and understanding.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 12:51:13 pm »

But I do.
You should not stop answering them; as you get older you will realise that they usually know a hell of a lot more about your life than do the voices from outside, voices that can, at best, interpret only from the morsels of information you choose to throw their way.
Rob C

So true Rob, if we ( I ) only would listen to them more. And accept that they are indeed right. 

William Birmingham

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 11:00:41 am »

The image and the description with it leaves me almost for a loss of words.
I feel the soul of this photo on several levels.

Speechless in praise.
-- Will

Peter McLennan

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 12:07:12 pm »

"Best thing I've done"

Paul Simon, talking about "Graceland"

Pages: [1]   Go Up