Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nobody seems to like this one… but me  (Read 4615 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Nobody seems to like this one… but me
« on: November 02, 2010, 02:07:14 pm »

As popnrfresh insisted to see something "more awful" than the stuff I posted so far, here is the one nobody really seems to like, judging by the very few views and comments on Flickr, as well as on some forums in the past.

But I do like it a lot, to the point of being my personal favorite.

For me it is about solitude, isolation, simplicity, emptiness, contemplation, fading away (literally and metaphorically). I like the contrast between man-made objects and nature, which, at the same time, are unified by the harmonious hues they have in common.

How about you? Does it speak to you the same way? Or you see something else… or nothing at all?

popnfresh

Re: Nobody seems to like this one… but me
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 02:19:08 pm »

I'm afraid you have utterly failed to provide us with a more convincing example of awfulness than your kites photo. It's time for you to face reality and admit that you have too much talent to create a thoroughly bad photograph.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:02:35 pm »

It's a matter of scale, Slobodan.

As the small thumbnail, it works very strongly for me because it's reduced to a play of shapes and colours; blown up, however, there is the intrusion of detail that destroys the earlier concept/harmony of tonality alone.

A classic case of too much information!

A title would have either made it worse or taken it elsewhere.

Maybe if you remove the land and fake in some more water or lower the sky to cover the land... it's that that spoils it, I think.

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:04:57 pm by Rob C »

fredjeang

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 04:07:03 pm »

As the small thumbnail, it works very strongly for me because it's reduced to a play of shapes and colours; blown up, however, there is the intrusion of detail that destroys the earlier concept/harmony of tonality alone.

A classic case of too much information!

A title would have either made it worse or taken it elsewhere.

Rob C
I agree with Rob.

It's not a bad pic actually but I had the same feeling. When watch the thumb it's mysterious, then when you open bigger, too much details indeed. Sharp everywhere. But this is a pic that have a great potential in post-prod to give it back a certain mystery. IMO.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 04:22:16 pm »

Well, I like it, Slobodan!

So Rob and Fred and all the low-lifes that frequent Flickr are wrong. But it's just too sophisticated for their tastes. And we surely all know that Rob wouldn't like it unless it had a woman in it (gender of the gull is hard to determine from the photo).

So much of the world today seems to need loud noise and provocative nonsense. Your photo is indeed restful and invites meditation. Thanks for sharing it.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

fredjeang

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 04:34:42 pm »

Well, I like it, Slobodan!

So Rob and Fred and all the low-lifes that frequent Flickr are wrong. But it's just too sophisticated for their tastes. And we surely all know that Rob wouldn't like it unless it had a woman in it (gender of the gull is hard to determine from the photo).

So much of the world today seems to need loud noise and provocative nonsense. Your photo is indeed restful and invites meditation. Thanks for sharing it.

Eric
...if instead of the bird it would have been a chick...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 04:34:19 pm by fredjeang »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:38:03 pm »

When watch the thumb it's mysterious, then when you open bigger, too much details indeed.

You guys are being a little harsh. I stood back 10 meters and it looks pretty good...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 05:31:01 pm »

... I stood back 10 meters and it looks pretty good...

Hey Chris, are those the same 10 meters LuLa gurus are able to tell the six-stop dynamic range MFDB advantage?  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 05:33:35 pm »

...if instead of the bird it would have been a chick...

Your wish is my command, Sir (and not one, but two chicks):

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 05:59:27 pm »

As the small thumbnail, it works very strongly for me...

I now understand why Michael Kenna rarely prints larger than 8" x 8"  ;)

fredjeang

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 06:37:17 pm »

Your wish is my command, Sir (and not one, but two chicks):

;D ;D Great reply Slobodan. You caught me.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 06:56:22 pm »

I like it, Slobodan. It reminds me of this one of mine.

Jeremy

JohnKoerner

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 09:12:40 pm »

"Nobody seems to like this one… but me."

Surely you jest, Slobodan?

Do you really like that shot?

JohnKoerner

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 09:14:49 pm »

Jeremy

I think yours is by far the better shot Jeremy. (Except it's a bit washed-out.)

Like a "street shot" of the penguin ... contemplating his own scenery ... which, though blurred, consists of nice and simple shapes and colors.

Jack

stamper

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 04:27:37 am »

To me it looks like a seagull looking for somewhere to shit? :) ;) ;D

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 04:52:37 am »

Jeremy

Background is all fuzzy, the penguin lacks detail in the shadows, and I'm sure that's not her best side ...

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 06:19:54 am »

The latest dispaches have reduced the advantage from 6 to 4 according to the MFD owners and 1ish point according to the dslr's owners (if I remember well).
I'd like to be like Chris! Those filmakers are the only one who really have fun filming those photographers headaches dynamic range's testings on "bodegones" (how do you say bodegon in english?).
Today I filmed on the plateau with hot lights (not HMI but warmer)...love it more and more.
Back to the chicks, I mean the bird, the sea bird: It's a great picture! Seriously and I'm not kidding any more, I like it.

¿en qué bodegón hemos comido juntos?

I suppose you could call it an easy-eats, a corner boozer, the local. In other words, my average lunch parlour.

Thinking of the Golden Age (as I sometimes do) last night, I also thought about Fred and his early interest in boats.

This one, Fred, is twenty-five metres, has twin 1600 MTUs and was built by Cantieri Fregene, Fregene being the then little resort down on the coast outside Rome. It was featured - the coast - in La Dolce Vita; I worked there and in Rome on my first foreign shoot... I have often regretted going to live in Mallorca when I could have chosen Rome instead. But, the boats were what did for me. Even after I realised that selling the house and buying a boat was the cheap part, I couldn't shake the water dream; however, it was good for locations. Anyway, a tiny boat is no way to live: it's neither one thing nor the other.

The old family friend and his wife who owned this boat came to live here in Mallorca in the same year as we did; we did a lot of sailing together and the shot was take in Almerimar, not far from Almeria. There, in Almerimar, we were having dinner when we were invaded by a cloud of the largest mosquitos I have ever seen.

It was a great trip: we left Palma, went to Ibiza, messed around there a while, then over to the mainland and a few ports en route down to Gibraltar.

But you never, ever, have it all: my friend sold that yacht, bought a much larger ketch with the intention of sailing to the Amazon... he never made it. Cancer.

So you see, life kicks us all in the teeth at some stage.

Yep, as I say so often, there was a very Golden Age but, like all things, it didn't last.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 02:23:01 pm by Rob C »

John R

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 09:00:47 pm »

I like it for the same reasons you indicated. It is subtle, not at all like most sunset/sunrise images. I have a photo I like vey much, but few others like it as much. And what is more uncanny, is that involves seagulls looking for morsels on a gentle rainy, almost foggy day. I thought of cropping your image so that seagull was even more prominent, but the effect of the soft pink walll is lost.

JMR

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 09:09:33 pm »

To me it looks like a seagull looking for somewhere to shit? :) ;) ;D

Thus, Mr. Prosaic Man, make sure you have a big umbrella with you next time you go for a walk… or plenty of tissues  ;)

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 09:17:56 pm »

I think that, aside from the image being quite static, you have an issue of scale - the size of the bird is just overwhelmed by the wall and ocean. I realize that's part of your point, but visually it's not inspiring me. I do like the pastel colors in this image.

You might want to try a vertical crop, narrow things down a bit.

David Saffir
GuruShots Photo Critique

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:35:31 pm by David Saffir »
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor
Pages: [1]   Go Up