Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how do print b&w using grayscale files or R=G=B?  (Read 1350 times)

Aristoc

how do print b&w using grayscale files or R=G=B?
« on: November 02, 2010, 11:35:26 am »

I am using a r2880 and want to use the advanced black and white mode printer driver. I dont have icc profiles so my color management will be turned off and the printer driver will control the drivers. However, I understand that I have to do the following :

what does this mean by saying use grayscale files or gray RBG files R=G=B ?

"print in B&W using either Grayscale files or "gray" RGB files (R=G=B). Both these formats will generate the same output and you'll have full control over the tonal range of your images.
If you leave color information in your RGB files, you will still get a B&W print, but you cannot control the grayscale conversion, you can only preview it in Photo shop by converting a duplicate file to Grayscale.
You get much better results if you do your own conversion to gray by controlling the mix of the individual color channels.

Thankyou
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:50:18 am by Aristoc »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: how do print b&w using grayscale files or R=G=B?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 04:46:45 pm »

We already spent a lot of time answering your question in a thread you already posted!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: how do print b&w using grayscale files or R=G=B?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 05:22:15 pm »

Even when R=G=B in a well behaved working space is neutral, that in no way means sending those values to a printer will produce a neutral on output.

In an RGB working space, if all three values are the same, its neutral. But you don’t send an RGB working space directly to a printer, it needs to be converted for that device. HOW its converted, what the resulting RGB values become (not R=G=B) is the key here, its what good ICC profiles are supposed to provide.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up