Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto Acute2 1200 Question  (Read 4112 times)

Conner999

Profoto Acute2 1200 Question
« on: November 01, 2010, 04:53:10 pm »

Seeing as how we tend to talk lighting gear here more than other sub-forums, quick question for any Profoto Acute2 users:

Picked up a new-to-me Acute2 1200. All works fine but am getting a slow flashing red-lamp in IR cell when on and ready with one head plugged into A socket and modeling light on. This IS NOT the rapid red flashing indicating slow recycle setting, just a semi-regular red almost 'ready' indicator lamp.

Note: only happens when one lamp in Port A and modeling light on. Modeling light off, same lamp in either B socket, regardless of power setting, or modeling light or not, no flashing. Same lamp in A socket, same settings all around - semi-steady red flashing indicator.

Best guess from Profoto tech I called is something brewing with pack's A channel/socket. The fact that same lamp sees no symptoms in either B socket, etc would seem to eliminate it as an issue.

Anyone else have any thoughts/seen it before?

arashm

Re: Profoto Acute2 1200 Question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:35:52 pm »

Hello
I've had/have a few Acute 1200 over the years and I haven't seen this.
Best bet would be to send it in, me thinks.
good luck
am

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 12:06:17 am »

have it looked at.

I had a D4 that was defective straight out of the box a few months ago...happens to the best of us...

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 01:54:17 am »

Did you double check the voltage switch?  :-\

julius0377

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 03:27:01 am »

Voltage switch would be my guess as well...

Conner999

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:21:35 am »

Thanks for the replies all.

Voltage switch is fine (120/60cycles) and IR cell red indicator flashing ONLY happens when head is plugged into A port, and modeling light on. This is regardless of power setting or strength of modeling light. Switch modeling light off on pack or head - flashing stops.  Plug same head into either B port, modeling light on, any power settings on pack and no flashing. If it were a pack-level voltage setting issue it would be consistent across the ports.

All other pack functions seem normal, indicator works to indicate slow recycle, etc. The only issue with pack, so far, is the odd red flashing indicator. What is even odder is that it's not regular. One theory someone had is that IR cell was picking up off IR interference. Sounded off to me, but WTH. I tried it with modeling light covered (briefly of course) with bulb cover - no change. Tried in different room in case some bizarre interference or issue with power draw from my office - no change.

Best the CDN tech (1800km's away) could come up with was a pending issue with pack's A socket circuitry. With an out of warranty pack and nearest CDN repair depo 1800kms away and a couple of big shoots coming up in which I hoped to use the pack, it's a potential pending issue I don't need.

So, seller has agreed to take pack back -- is leaving later today. Sigh, now to find a replacement. So, if anyone's a Acute2 1200 (pack only) they want to sell, drop me a line.  Aaargh.

TMARK

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 12:23:55 pm »

I had/have the same issue.  Did you try a different head? 

MAC Group talked me through this.  Tried a different head, no problems.  An almost dead or dying modeling light can send unexpected, out of range resistance levels to the pack, which may be what is happening.  The red flashing may or may not indicate a fault in the modeling light circuitry, but different heads with fresh lamps make the problem go away.

Good luck!

By the way:  BIG UPS TO MAC GROUP.  They really are fantastic and helpful.

Conner999

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 12:45:51 pm »

Interesting. I didn't have another Acute2 head to try with. If the issue had been seen across all ports, I'd suspect the head or modeling light, but on either B head with model light on Max, etc - no blinking. Could not get it to blink with head on either B port no matter what I did. On the flip side, the on the flip side, only way I could STOP it on the A port is by killing the model light (on pack or on head).

Now, going with what MAC told you, it could be a resistance issue on the A port or one of the A port pin(s) for the modeling light. It almost behaved as if were a short, but if resistance were varying, could explain the morris-code effect I was seeing.

Pack is on way back to vendor, so if anyone knows of one for sale... ;>

Excellent input - thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up