Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mallorca Dec.24 - Dec 31. ... Suggestions?  (Read 2343 times)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Mallorca Dec.24 - Dec 31. ... Suggestions?
« on: November 01, 2010, 11:02:37 am »

Hello!
I'll visit some relatives on Mallorca this winter from x-mas to end of the year. Though not the usual season for going there I'll take my Mamiya Universal with me and will go out for some landscape photography. I'll have a car rented, so mobility is there. I have been to mallorca in former times, but its quite a while ago and I wonder which places might be interesting especially in winter.

Suggestions ?

Thank you
~Chris

JMCP

Re: Mallorca Dec.24 - Dec 31. ... Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:36:29 am »

Hi Chris,

the drive out to Formentor lighthouse from Puerto Pollensa is beautiful with plenty of photo oportunities.

Cheers, John

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 05:37:54 am »

Thanks for the hint.
I had completely neglected that area, though I've been there formerly (many years ago...).
Seems I'll have to get up early when I want go there before dusk.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 11:12:30 am »

Hi Chris,

the drive out to Formentor lighthouse from Puerto Pollensa is beautiful with plenty of photo oportunities.

Cheers, John

Why are you trying to kill him?

Those mountain roads are the last place you should find yourself in winter. Landslips are commonplace; some roads on the island are still closed from such events earlier in the autumn; it's the rain and lack of money to spend on maintenance.

Frankly, winter in Mallorca - unless you stay in Palma and are really old (or very rich) - is a lost time. Most of the places elsewhere close and stay that way until easter. Your chances of finding somewhere open for lunch outwith the towns is very low during winter.

On the positive side, there is the annual almond blossom thing that takes place in late January or early February, depending on the weather we get, when the trees swell into snow clouds; quite pretty, but the end of the year is a bit too early. The best place I've been to for that is up in the mountains at Fornalutx: the valley explodes with white or pink - looks exactly like snow or heavy frost.

If you are staying with relatives, then ask their advice when you are here, but if it rains you will understand how the 'exotic' in country architecture soon turns into the 'shabby' of rural winter reality and even worse in the city. Bring heavy clothes too; it can be swimwear at lunchtime and the logs burning at night when there's no cloud cover to keep the heat in.

Also, be warned that if you want to go out to see in New Year at a restaurant, you will generally pay through the nose for a lot of poor food. But, if you come with a companion and she's nice, then it can be wonderful, too. Romantic places are often a product of what you bring to them.

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 11:17:32 am »

I'll be near Porto Cristo and have my goretex wholebody condom protectional clothing with me.
Unfortunately I can't chose to be there in January/February - thats why I asked here -  In spring I'd not have asked.
So - winter will be the challenge and the muddy weather ...
And I'll go everywhere where the Fiat Panda I'll have rented will take me ...
Maybe I should go for architecture instead landscape at that time ...

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 11:34:54 am »

Porto Cristo is quite a good base. That whole side of the island, going either northwards and also south towards Cala d'Or can be spectacular if you get the right light; cliffs and sand, but the sand bits may be ruined by seaweed that comes with winter and is left to rot or be used as fertilizer.

There are caves near your base - obviously very commercialized - and also some good countryside. Again, it's all down to weather. Not a lot of easy access to the actual coast from the main road between Cristo and d'Or, but nevertheless, try to get to Porto Colom, Porto Petro and some of the very small calas (bays) that are to be found at the end of some rather minor roads. You really need a Firestone map that used to be available from many gas stations, as the usual small things that the carhire people hand out are junk.

Manacor is quite close, as the main hub, and you may see the world's no.1 tennis player... very attractive girlfriend; I wonder how that always happens? Must be smething to do with the stringing.

If you like boats, Cala d'Or has some crackers in the marina, but for that, bigtime, go to the side of the island near Palma and visit Puerto Portals. It will turn you into an instant communist. On the other hand, if you wear cyan sunglasses you may be okay.

Lovely island at the right time.

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 12:20:22 pm »

Actually I like the non-popular seasons.
This year, in January I have been on Rugia in the baltic sea and had great fun with my little P/S camera (G11) and the cold snowy winter. Actually it was so much fun I made a little pictorial about it on my website. But this time I have my Mamiya Universal repaired and all lenses and rangefinders (4 different bodies) adjusted and really am eager to try all that stuff. Will be a waste of lot of T-Max 100s and 400s. I'm especially curious how the 50mm, the 75 mm, the 127 mm and the 250 mm lenses will do. And the retractable 100mm together with the Super 23 body will serve as a poor mans tech camera. (On the long run I'll go for an Arca Swiss F Line with 6x9 and 6x12 backs).

JMCP

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 04:04:47 pm »

I cannnae believe a Glasgae man moaniing about the weather in Majorca, your havin a laff lol

All joking  aside, only been there in beautiful weather and cycled out to the lighthouse, I have cycled in many different places in the world but that route out to Formentor is one of the most beautiful I have ridden, was kicking myself for not taking my camera.

Cheers, John

Why are you trying to kill him?

Those mountain roads are the last place you should find yourself in winter. Landslips are commonplace; some roads on the island are still closed from such events earlier in the autumn; it's the rain and lack of money to spend on maintenance.

Frankly, winter in Mallorca - unless you stay in Palma and are really old (or very rich) - is a lost time. Most of the places elsewhere close and stay that way until easter. Your chances of finding somewhere open for lunch outwith the towns is very low during winter.

On the positive side, there is the annual almond blossom thing that takes place in late January or early February, depending on the weather we get, when the trees swell into snow clouds; quite pretty, but the end of the year is a bit too early. The best place I've been to for that is up in the mountains at Fornalutx: the valley explodes with white or pink - looks exactly like snow or heavy frost.

If you are staying with relatives, then ask their advice when you are here, but if it rains you will understand how the 'exotic' in country architecture soon turns into the 'shabby' of rural winter reality and even worse in the city. Bring heavy clothes too; it can be swimwear at lunchtime and the logs burning at night when there's no cloud cover to keep the heat in.

Also, be warned that if you want to go out to see in New Year at a restaurant, you will generally pay through the nose for a lot of poor food. But, if you come with a companion and she's nice, then it can be wonderful, too. Romantic places are often a product of what you bring to them.

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 05:32:19 am »

I cannnae believe a Glasgae man moaniing about the weather in Majorca, your havin a laff lol

All joking  aside, only been there in beautiful weather and cycled out to the lighthouse, I have cycled in many different places in the world but that route out to Formentor is one of the most beautiful I have ridden, was kicking myself for not taking my camera.

Cheers, John

I truely believe you didn't intend to kill me ... :D
Cheers
~Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up