Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf8300 initial impressions  (Read 6403 times)

mcpix

• Macframes
Canon ipf8300 initial impressions
« on: November 01, 2010, 02:45:19 am »

First, I'd like to thank all the posters who encouraged me to go ahead with my purchase of the Canon ipf8300. As I mentioned previously,
I'd always been an Epson guy and I was nervous about making the change.

I ordered my printer on a Tues. and it was delivered on Friday. I set up the stand by myself and then had 4 friends help me lift it onto the stand. Although the instructions call for more people, it was easy to lift with one person on each corner and one to hold the stand in place. One nice feature is that there are two alignment arrows on the back of the stand and the printer to help when setting it in place. This may seem like a small thing, but just the week before when I was helping the buyer set up my old Epson 9800, we actually struggled a bit to get it right.

After the printer was attached to the stand I began loading the ink cartridges. One quick note here, the cartridges actually require a bit of force to snap into place. When they're placed correctly, the red light comes on.

I was used to loading the paper from the top on my Epson, so the first time I fed it from below it felt a little awkward. However, by the second time I loaded paper it went quick and now it seems normal to me.

So far I've been printing mainly on Epson premium luster paper (the paper I always used on my 7800/9800). Everything I've printed so far has looked great! Someone mentioned that they thought the Canon might not have as fine a dither as the Epson, but I can't see it. I don't have my old printer so I can't compare directly, but I always print at the highest quality settings and they turn out great.

On the Canon ifp8300 there are many "little things" that make large format printing easier. One of my favorites is the photoshop plug in. I never had problems with the Epson driver, but if you changed anything, you always had to work your way back through and make sure something else (like the paper profile, paper type or page size) hadn't changed. With the Canon, it remembers your last settings, so most of the time I simply have to pick the paper size and I'm printing.

Not surprisingly even at the highest quality settings this printer is much faster than my older Epson.

Another really nice feature is the ability to see what every print actually costs. I always had a rough idea about my expenses, but each print is different and I like knowing exactly what a print costs.

Finally for those wondering about the rebate. I was able to file for my rebate online and within a week I had confirmation that it had been approved. It's currently showing paid, although I haven't received the check in the mail yet. Altogether it was probably one of the easiest rebates I've applied for.

That's all for now, I'll report back later after I've tried some Canvas and Watercolor paper.

-Max

mcpix

• Macframes
Re: Canon ipf8300 initial impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:14:06 pm »

Received my rebate check today!

It shows that it was printed on the 8th, but they must wait until the end of the month to send them out.

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:41:37 am »

MC, so what is your overall opinion of the 8300 on canvas?  I just purchased mine as well which is still sitting in a box in my garage until I finish up the small office area in my house.  I will be focusing mainly on canvas prints so I'm curious as to what your opinion is of the canon on canvas.  Let me know!  Thanks!

narikin

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:52:03 am »

another great feature is the hard drive built into the machine that allows you to recall and reprint any of the past 100 jobs, without even having to turn your computer on!  just select the job and select reprint. amazingly easy.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 12:15:00 pm »

So far I've been printing mainly on Epson premium luster paper (the paper I always used on my 7800/9800). Everything I've printed so far has looked great! Someone mentioned that they thought the Canon might not have as fine a dither as the Epson, but I can't see it. I don't have my old printer so I can't compare directly, but I always print at the highest quality settings and they turn out great.

Canon x300 has as fine or even finer dither as Epson x800, but (to my eye of a sniper) not as fine as Epson x880/x900. Otherwise it's a great printer and I prefer it over Epsons for its ease of use, trouble-free and clogless printing.

I also encourage you to get accustomed with 300gsm Canon HW Satin a.k.a. Glacier, it quickly become my favorite luster-like paper.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 08:36:34 pm »

Totally agree about Canon's heavyweight satin photo paper.
Okay, its surface texture has a bit of that fine stipple that can make Epson's premium luster (or whatever they call it this week) annoying in certain lighting. And its hand feel is a bit plasticky.

But color gamut and D-max are good enough, and damn but it's cheap. Less than $100 (U.S.) for a 100' roll, compared to considerably more for just 39' of Hahnemüle's latest spun gold confection.

For my own favorite images that I want to present as fine art, I print on Hahnemüle photo rag baryta. But when I'm printing for pay, or where hand feel and that last 1% of quality aren't important, you just can't beat the price of Canon's HW Satin paper.

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:53:24 pm »

Well Dont get to comfortable on the price of Canon Papers.. Be warned I Hear of a 10-12% Price increse coming in October.. so stock up!

Just a Small Side note I Do Sell Canon and Epson products.

I agree with all of the statements made but One needs to remeber a few things Canon Inks cost more per a ML Than Epson and also have 1 whole extra cart.. which doesnt add anything.. Epson still has a straight feed thru path ( Canon Doesnt) And The Dreaded Heads on the Canon are expensive.. So when you take all of that into consideration along with Epson's Massive Instant rebates.. You really cant go wrong with either printer!

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

deanwork

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 11:11:07 pm »

You never do nozzle checks on the 8300 because they are always clear and you don't waste time doing BS head cleanings when you should be thinking about printing. The great powerful cutting blade rips right through even the thickest canvas and linen. Bi directional rapid printing is super good.

This printer for it's price point is just amazing. The big ink carts last forever, unlike the HP with the tiny 120 ml carts. Even if I did have to replace the heads every year, which I won't, it would be a small price to pay for productivity and piece of mind. The Canon plug in is outstanding and the best oem driver I've every seen and supports 16 bit on the fly.

Yes the Canon HW Satin is a great paper for an rc media, and is holding up very well in the fade tests in its clean white (but not bluish) base color, much surpassing the HP Satin that is a bit smoother but doesn't hold up as well in the long term due to their obas graying out over time in bright light. But this Canon paper doesn't have the obvious mechanical stipple the Premium Luster has either and it's really thick with a super gamut.

The one thing that this printer really excels with is the gloss fiber media, especially the Harmon by Hahneumhle. It rolls out of the printer perfect.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 02:31:05 am »

I agree with all of the statements made but One needs to remeber a few things Canon Inks cost more per a ML Than Epson and also have 1 whole extra cart.. which doesnt add anything.. Epson still has a straight feed thru path ( Canon Doesnt) And The Dreaded Heads on the Canon are expensive.. So when you take all of that into consideration along with Epson's Massive Instant rebates.. You really cant go wrong with either printer!

Canon consumes much less ink than Epson, so it's not fair to compare cost per ML directly. You have an extra B cart, but you also have an extra head for MK and there's no ink waste while PK<>MK switching. The replacement of Canon head is easy and inexpensive in comparison to replacement of Epson head (that also isn't immortal). Epson has straight feed thru path and some other benefits, each printer has some advantages and disadvantages so you can't go wrong with either printer, but the fact is I've never regret switching to Canon.

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 04:46:23 am »

I can just agree on above.

It is terrific for canvas. A friend of mine has one in big production studio and he prints 2-3 rolls of canvas per day.

As for ink use my printero n highest settings uses around 9-12ml per square meter. Wich would give me about 700 sqm of prints on a full set of ink (12*700ml) which i think is pretty amazing.

It runs flawless and you dont need to tweek to get perfect prints. Friends with epson machines have much more maintinance issues.

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 06:46:28 pm »

Could some of you describe the experience of using cut sheets of various sizes?  I like Canson Platine and papers of similar weight.  I now use a 3880 and 4900, but have been thinking for some time, and following related threads in this forum, about a large printer, looking, of course, at comparisons of the Canon and Epson offerings. 

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 07:57:27 pm »

I would never use the 8300 for cut sheets unless there was absolutely no other option. You have to manually feed from the front, and the trailing margin is large. I keep my 5100 around just for cut sheet printing.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Light Seeker

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 08:45:53 pm »

I've just started to use Platine, and the other media I've used for longer is of a similar weight. I use my 8300 for both cut sheets and rolls. I agree that this printer is best suited for rolls, but I don't find the effort to load a cut sheet to be that much more than loading a sheet manually in the back of my 3800. Of course the sheet feeder on my 3800 was very easy to use, but very little of my cotton rag media would load from there.

BTW, the 8300 cannot print cut sheets 0.20" from the top and sides, and 0.90" from the trailing edge. This unfortunately means you cannot print and 8x10 on an 8.5x11 sheet. The other limitation is the smallest size you can load is 8", if my memory serves me correctly.

Terry.

narikin

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 03:44:02 pm »

The one thing that this printer really excels with is the gloss fiber media, especially the Harmon by Hahneumhle. It rolls out of the printer perfect.

Yes indeed!  The best Baryta paper out there, comes out perfectly from Canon 8300. Unlike Epson's which often mark it one way or another. Thought I was the only one to notice this, but I see I'm not alone.

I would never use the 8300 for cut sheets unless there was absolutely no other option. You have to manually feed from the front, and the trailing margin is large. I keep my 5100 around just for cut sheet printing.

Neil

IMHO no wide format machine is that good for cut sheets, period. Yes the Epson's are a bit easier than Canon's for this, but really once you go above 17", these printers are designed for Rolls, not Sheets.

I own both Large Format Epson's and Canons, and its the Canon that has become default for me.  The no-clogging heads, which lead to SO much wasted paper ($) ink ($) and time on the Epson, has completely gone, and more than compensates for supposedly having to replace print heads. (not had to yet).  

Love my Epson 11880 too for XL prints, but anything under that goes to the Canon.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:45:34 pm by snowygst »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 06:12:44 pm »

Canon consumes much less ink than Epson, so it's not fair to compare cost per ML directly.

Curious what you are basing the statement on, especially the fact you say it consumes "much less".  I've owned both and don't see that.  Are you assuming huge waste on clogs (which is overblown), or are you comparing only ink used on actual prints?

Yes indeed!  The best Baryta paper out there, comes out perfectly from Canon 8300. Unlike Epson's which often mark it one way or another. Thought I was the only one to notice this, but I see I'm not alone.

IMHO no wide format machine is that good for cut sheets, period. Yes the Epson's are a bit easier than Canon's for this, but really once you go above 17", these printers are designed for Rolls, not Sheets.

I own both Large Format Epson's and Canons, and its the Canon that has become default for me.  The no-clogging heads, which lead to SO much wasted paper ($) ink ($) and time on the Epson, has completely gone, and more than compensates for supposedly having to replace print heads. (not had to yet).  

Love my Epson 11880 too for XL prints, but anything under that goes to the Canon.

Of course I've read on this forum others having trouble with specific papers marking on the Canons that print fine on the Epson's ... guess it depends on what paper's you like. I've run the old Harmon Gloss on my 11880 without any issues so guess it's something you can't blame on the brand, but the circumstance.

I also think loading 24x30 sheets in an Epson couldn't be easier (drop it in the printer, hit the button), and prefer sheets because any process to remove the curl of roll papers will leave micro cracks in the coating. sure with some large prints you don't have a choice, but sheets in the Epson is substantially easier than a Canon ... the straight through paper path is especially nice if you have a thick stiff paper.

As far as "no-clogging" heads, I wish the canon club would at least get the semantics right on this one, because the head definitely clogs (hint, there are thousands of spare nozzles created specifically because of clogs).  So admittedly the Canon design might make the process less in your face than an Epson, but bottom line it still clogs, and yes there is a high likelihood that some day (if you keep the printer long enough which canon is betting you won't) you'll have to replace a head. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but if you understand the design behind the two heads both make sense, and personally I believe the Epson produces a finer dither and in some images a visible difference in quality. (granted most images won't see that because they are uprezzed so the detail is already gone).  I'm not knocking the Canon by saying this, image quality on current Canon's is outstanding but I've owned both, compared prints from both, and it's what I see. 

I tried Canon for a few years, and like Jim I can sell both , but personally I prefer the Epson and really have no issues with clogging or excess ink waste with any of my current 5 Epson printers.

Not knocking the OP, congratulations on your new printer ... I"m sure you'll be delighted.

narikin

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 12:23:11 pm »

As far as "no-clogging" heads, I wish the canon club would at least get the semantics right on this one, because the head definitely clogs (hint, there are thousands of spare nozzles created specifically because of clogs).  So admittedly the Canon design might make the process less in your face than an Epson, but bottom line it still clogs, and yes there is a high likelihood that some day (if you keep the printer long enough which canon is betting you won't) you'll have to replace a head.

Yes this has been pointed out many times, and whilst technically/ pedantically correct, its not the real point is it? 
From the user experience - us! - the Canons do not clog. That is what matters.

The technical fact that a micro nozzle eventually clogs and the head immediately detects this and switches to a spare nozzle is very clever, and makes far less problems, period.   I cannot count the amount of very VERY expensive paper I have lost to Epsons over nozzle issues. When it's major you notice right away, but a very small clog in LLK or LC appearing randomly in a large multi-part job can put a days work in the trash and cost you hundreds of dollars in paper. Hundreds.  I've had eagle eyed framers call me up and report tiny clogs in images I had checked. Yes, my fault, but I did inspect them, and had perfect nozzle patterns before starting the print! With the Canon, I sleep easy.

Glad you are happy with Epson Wayne.  I and many, many others here have issues that come and go. Reaed the forum for endless confirmation of this. It is Epson's Achilles heel, and Canon have fixed it, completely. It's a trade I was happy to make. but YMMV, as ever.

ps: I'm not in the "canon club" - I own both, 4 Epson's from table top to 64", and a 44" Canon. The Epsons are far better built and have a better paper path, but the Canon gets the work done mostly in my print studio.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 01:38:41 pm »

Curious what you are basing the statement on, especially the fact you say it consumes "much less".  I've owned both and don't see that.  Are you assuming huge waste on clogs (which is overblown), or are you comparing only ink used on actual prints?
I've printed the same images on Epson and Canon and checked the total ink consumption - it wasn't a scientific test, but it appears that Canon x300 sips about 70% of what Epson x880/x900 does. I didn't consider waste on clogs, as it's too tough to calculate and may vary in each case, depending on many factors such as frequency of use, humidity, temperature, luck and so on.
All in all - in my case after switching from SP7880 Epson 220ml carts to iPF6350 Canon 130ml carts I didn't experience any increase of running cost.

As far as "no-clogging" heads, I wish the canon club would at least get the semantics right on this one, because the head definitely clogs (hint, there are thousands of spare nozzles created specifically because of clogs).  So admittedly the Canon design might make the process less in your face than an Epson, but bottom line it still clogs, and yes there is a high likelihood that some day (if you keep the printer long enough which canon is betting you won't) you'll have to replace a head.
Canon heads are less prone to clogging issues not only because they have spare nozzles. The nozzles are more compact - so there's less room for air bubbles that can reduce the pressure of ink ejection, and there's higher pressure when ejecting ink in thermal technology.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 09:14:24 am »

Quick question for other folks using Harman gloss baryta ("by Hahnemuhle") on Canon's x300 printers-
What media setting do you choose when using Harman's canned profile? It's not spelled out anywhere on the website, and the Canon printer wiki was not helpful either.

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 12:25:30 pm »

I use my own profile, not the canned one, and I use Heavy Weight Glossy Photo Paper for the media type.

Quick question for other folks using Harman gloss baryta ("by Hahnemuhle") on Canon's x300 printers-
What media setting do you choose when using Harman's canned profile? It's not spelled out anywhere on the website, and the Canon printer wiki was not helpful either.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 12:37:02 pm »

Same settings like for other Hahnemühle products - Special 5 for PK, Special 9 for MK

http://harman.hahnemuehle.com/media/HAR_Can6350_HandlingInstruction.pdf
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up