Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up a screen for idiots  (Read 1646 times)

TimBarker

• http://tbarker.net
Setting up a screen for idiots
« on: October 31, 2010, 07:48:59 am »

I'm sure this has been asked before many times and if it has and there is a good answer just point me to the thread but...

When starting out and doing an initial screen calibration (for the first time) are there a 'standard' set of white points/gammas/intensities and contrast ratios that should be used.  I ask this only that using a D50/2.2/160cd:m2/500:1 to set up the screen (a PA271) it is way too bright (this is mostly due to the 160cd:m2/500:1?).  I realise I won't get direct WYSIWYG immediately and that you need to play around with the final settings to get something approximating a match for soft proofing but I want to get 'near' a match quickly.  I realise each individual set of numbers has much to do with where the PC is set-up and the lighting in the room etc but there must be set of numbers that is a good place to start perhaps D50/2.2/80/200:1?
Tim Barker (aka MandoTiM in other forums),
Rank Amateur.

Uses Nikon D200 or Sony Ixus110is
with post-processing on an ASUS P6T and i7-920 with
6Gb RAM, 1.5Tb discs, NEC PA271, Gigabyte 9600, Canon 9000Pro,
using Win7-64, CS4 et al.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Setting up a screen for idiots
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 08:54:06 am »

One cannot provide hard and fast rules on this since a lot is dependent on the lighting in your work area.  160 is generally too bright under "most" conditions.  Your contrast ratio is also too high and I suspect 200:1 is too low.  My settings are 110 and 350:1 and I get a good match between monitor and print using a Solux bulb for print illumination.  This is the bottom line, strive for monitor/print matching.

Alan

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:30:36 pm »

When starting out and doing an initial screen calibration (for the first time) are there a 'standard' set of white points/gammas/intensities and contrast ratios that should be used.  I ask this only that using a D50/2.2/160cd:m2/500:1 to set up the screen (a PA271) it is way too bright (this is mostly due to the 160cd:m2/500:1?). 

Right, because the so called recommended values should be taken with a grain of salt, especially when recommended without taking print viewing conditions into account. The right values are those that produce a visual match. In terms of luminance (the most critical for a match), it could be 140, 150, you fill in the blanks. Without the print viewing condition next to the display taken into account, its impossible to suggest the correct value. Trial and error and you’ll hit the right value.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 01:46:30 pm »

Tim, as the others have said, the exact settings may be different for everyone.

However I also know that seeing what other people find works can be helpful too,

On my PA271 I get great matching to my prints with the settings below;
D65
L* gamma (2.2 would be my setting if I didn't have the L* option)
110cdm
Black target is 'Minimum neutral' which has worked out at 0.22cdm and that gives a contrast ratio of around 500.

With Basiccolor 4 (aka EU Spectraview) I get an average deltaE of .35 which I reckon is pretty acceptable.

TimBarker

• http://tbarker.net
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 04:25:28 am »

Right, because the so called recommended values should be taken with a grain of salt, especially when recommended without taking print viewing conditions into account. The right values are those that produce a visual match. In terms of luminance (the most critical for a match), it could be 140, 150, you fill in the blanks. Without the print viewing condition next to the display taken into account, its impossible to suggest the correct value. Trial and error and you’ll hit the right value.

Andrew, Rhos, Alan,

Thanks, I realised from prior comments that the exact numbers are a matter of the area you work in and that there really aren't any so-called "recommended" numbers but still it is useful (and less time consuming) to have an idea where to start.  It is particularly useful to have some idea of what others are using (I have found the inserted pics of screen shots of the Spectraview info window from other threads very useful but searching for each of these isn't that easy).  Maybe I should spend some time doing just that and perhaps create a matrix of others settings with a short comment on screen location (in bright sunlit room, no windows, only one window with heavy curtains drawn...).  If nothing else I think I would find it useful to start my rocky road through CM and perhaps others might as well.

Should you read this thread and agree how about indicating your own settings and a short description of the room/print viewing area as well as what screen you are using (thanks for starting this Rosssydd).

thanks again.

Tim.
Tim Barker (aka MandoTiM in other forums),
Rank Amateur.

Uses Nikon D200 or Sony Ixus110is
with post-processing on an ASUS P6T and i7-920 with
6Gb RAM, 1.5Tb discs, NEC PA271, Gigabyte 9600, Canon 9000Pro,
using Win7-64, CS4 et al.
Pages: [1]   Go Up