Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 478201 times)

WalterEG

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #1380 on: December 31, 2012, 05:41:32 pm »

Sadly, turns out that Beverly Goodway died of cancer in November. R.I.P

May light eternal shine upon him.

Sydney is a funny place:  it is huge on veneer, but one almost needs to be a local to find the substance.  I seldom shoot the picture postcard stuff but I do enjoy to scratch beneath the surface.  In fact, it is my intention to do just that later today.  Meanwhile some examples in various scales of Sydney's love of lattice are attached.

Rob, it is curious to hear you speak of ballet studios and cityscape locations when you have a virgin-white background blind right there on the verandah.

Happy New Year.

Rob C

« Reply #1381 on: January 01, 2013, 05:10:28 am »

May light eternal shine upon him.

Sydney is a funny place:  it is huge on veneer, but one almost needs to be a local to find the substance.  I seldom shoot the picture postcard stuff but I do enjoy to scratch beneath the surface.  In fact, it is my intention to do just that later today.  Meanwhile some examples in various scales of Sydney's love of lattice are attached.

Rob, it is curious to hear you speak of ballet studios and cityscape locations when you have a virgin-white background blind right there on the verandah.

Happy New Year.

Yes, virgin-white and virgin-like! Not a virgin, whore nor even undecided has stepped before it. I'm coming to think of it in the same manner as I am about all my cameras, lenses, and the two flash units that I had repaired a month or so back (did I mention the scanner, computer and printer?): should have just bought a hotter car instead and locked photography away in the filing cabinet of life. Hotter car be damned: glaucoma will probably eff that into oblivion soon enough too. Depressed? Me? Of course not, I love the blues, don't you know.

I have finally discovered the ultimate proof of recession and example of irony: was a time I had more spare calendars of my own around the house than I knew what to do with; family, friends, nobody had to buy one. When that stopped, I used to be given them by local independent shops. I now realise that, this year, none of those shops has any. Somebody is suffering big-time. And computer dates aren't as convenient or as useful: there are so many odd, unexpected local holidays here (read shut shops and banks) that, unwarned, one could go seriously short of food and/or cash! Now I shall have to pay big bucks to have another boring picture of Mallorca hanging on the wall, and probably not find one with all the holidays marked in red and of a size sufficient to read!

Happy new year, Victor Meldrew; you got it about right!

;-)

Rob C

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:49:41 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #1382 on: January 01, 2013, 12:35:24 pm »

In the spirit of what a difference a year makes, two shots from the same spot, give or take a metre. And, of course, a year.

Rob C

P.S. The fact that this year there are more boats moored out in the sea tells us something: the crisis is real; berths inside the marina are now priced beyond many. I feel quite smug: they were almost always beyond me!

;-)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:20:34 pm by Rob C »

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1383 on: January 01, 2013, 01:54:10 pm »

I dug out the Lichfield calendar book Rob, I have two of them ( on loan as per usual) and will peruse tonight at leasure.

Rob C

« Reply #1384 on: January 02, 2013, 10:54:02 am »

First course wasn't that great; left wandering what's next. Know what it's supposed to be, but...

Oh well, it's the crisis. What do you expect for ten euros? Food?

;-(

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:21:15 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #1385 on: January 02, 2013, 03:40:42 pm »

Fairly young wine there Rob.  I'd be cautious if 'wandering' to far amidst the traffic.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1386 on: January 02, 2013, 03:48:43 pm »

...What do you expect for ten euros? Food?...

Ten!? Terrible crisis then. I used to have a two-course menu del dia, which included a glass of vino tinto, for... six euros, in Barcelona, in the beginning of this century (sounds older then it is, doesn't it?). I guess islands are always a bit more expensive as well.

Rob C

« Reply #1387 on: January 02, 2013, 04:52:25 pm »

Young wine? More like just squeezed from the grapes bought in the shops that morning! But hell, a single (glass!) a day ain’t gonna shake anyone much, Walter.

During the early 80s when we arrived here all bushy tailed and filled with excitement and hope, not to mention oodles of financial confidence, a fine lunch down at a restaurant beside the beach would rush you, for two, round about Pts.3000 or so, including tip. That was fifteen quid for two. For that, we’d have menu food (not del dia), at least a bottle of wine and probably a Campari soda and G&T before we eat, and all the coffee we wanted. I’ll tell you something: in one restaurant, we’d had a helluva great meal, a couple of drinks with some Spanish tourists sitting at the next table, and decided (well, I did) that we needed another bottle of wine. Would you believe, the owner, whom we knew quite well by then, suggested we think again as it was a bit of a long drive home… we did, and didn‘t. Today? Folks would probably sell you what you want till you fall off the chair. And charge you when you break it.

Islands are great for photography, especially those that run north to south, like the southern end of Fuerteventura, or even Malta because it’s small: you can get two cracks at sunrise or sunset just by swapping coasts. And there it stops.

When we started doing our road trips from Mallorca to Scotland, we’d book a two-way ferry with a fictitious return date, and we could then swap the return leg by a simple telephone call to the ferry company later on, depending on how long we really wanted to stay away. Last time I enquired, you either get a single, a fixed return or pay through the friggin’ nose for an open return. And they wonder why there’s a dearth of cars outwith the peak summer period. It’s as if they just want to keep you prisoner here. The mainland of Spain means the whole of Europe’s open to you – no islands for homes ever again!

Car insurance? You’d think it would be cheaper here, being an island; no way: when I asked why, the chap pulled out papers and showed that the accident rates were higher because of the proportion of tourists…

Slobodan, you just knew my trigger!

;-)

Rob C

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #1388 on: January 05, 2013, 04:30:25 am »

We went to Brussels the day before yesterday (also a town with expensive meals by the way) and I was very excited since there seemed to be an exhibition of photographs by Cas Oorthuys, one of my favourite Dutch photographers from the mid 1900's. So I paid 4 euro to get in the museum only to find out the exhibition was closed 2 days before. It was still fully intact but the doors to the room barricaded with chairs and totally dark and they didn't let me in  :(

So the only picture I saw was on the poster outside and I couldn't help myself so bought the exhibition book there as well.

I also got a snapshot out of it:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:39:05 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #1389 on: January 05, 2013, 04:37:32 am »

Nice shot, peg; does the poster show a set of dates for the exhibition?

At least you got the book - it'll last longer than the memory of the show, even if you had been able to catch it.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1390 on: January 05, 2013, 07:33:12 am »

WIN some and LOSE some Peg,

I agree with Rob that the book may well serve not only to see Oorthuys' work but to recall your experiences in Brussels.  On the other hand, if they were actually vintage prints on show, you may well have been denied quite an experience.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #1391 on: January 05, 2013, 10:36:05 am »

Thanks guys, don't know if there were true darkroom prints in the exhibition (too dark to see when I peeked in) but the book is nice and can be looked at every day. I can still go to the photomuseum in Rotterdam if I want to see some real darkroom prints from his negatives, that when printed large will probably quite an experience. One day I will make the time to do that.  ::)

And Rob, yes, the dates were on the poster. Just shows how unobservant I get when I'm exited. Not a good attribute for a photographer, but can't hide it  ???

There was however one additional advantage of spending the 4 € admission, it's seeing a staircase which could very well have been part of the Escher residence  ;)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:38:09 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

WalterEG

« Reply #1392 on: January 05, 2013, 01:35:29 pm »

Gotta love those stairs!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1393 on: January 05, 2013, 06:56:38 pm »

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1394 on: January 08, 2013, 01:56:31 pm »

My (humble) homage to Vermeer. The first one, square, is the one I prefer. The second is more like the Vermeer's girl. The association came after the shoot.

Rob C

« Reply #1395 on: January 08, 2013, 02:42:15 pm »

No pearls?

You did this back-to-front: should have had the 'homage' figured out first!

But cute!

Rob C

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #1396 on: January 08, 2013, 03:02:32 pm »

My (humble) homage to Vermeer. The first one, square, is the one I prefer. The second is more like the Vermeer's girl. The association came after the shoot.

Well done. I can fully appreciate why you are a proud dad. And I am secure enough to admit that she might well have her good looks from her dad. However, your photography is much too good to be ruined by those awful darktones. What happened? Underexposed & recovery? Or simply a camera that can't handle the DR?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1397 on: January 08, 2013, 03:43:53 pm »

... those awful darktones. What happened? Underexposed & recovery? Or simply a camera that can't handle the DR?

Hmmm... the dark tones are deliberate. It is true that it was shot under rather difficult conditions, table lamp as the sole light source, very close to the face (thus the contrast), ISO 6400, Canon 60D (an awful combination for DR). Nevertheless, the original file has enough shadow detail, which I actually deliberately suppressed (though rather gently: in LR, contrast +20, Blacks -5, Clarity -20, Post-Crop Vignetting -30)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #1398 on: January 08, 2013, 04:19:55 pm »

Hmmm... the dark tones are deliberate. It is true that it was shot under rather difficult conditions, table lamp as the sole light source, very close to the face (thus the contrast), ISO 6400, Canon 60D (an awful combination for DR). Nevertheless, the original file has enough shadow detail, which I actually deliberately suppressed (though rather gently: in LR, contrast +20, Blacks -5, Clarity -20, Post-Crop Vignetting -30)

Yes, they need to be dark, but there is no drawing. It is a flat noisy red, and the background shows just two tones, in the sweater it shows banding. The eyes are almost pencil drawn. It looks godawful, and if you're going to take more beautiful portraits like that, or win more prices and publications, you might as well consider upgrading the camera. I was inclined to ask for the RAW files, but seeing ISO 6400 and Canon 60D probably explains it.

Additionally, if the table-lamp has one of those modern energy efficient bulbs, then it might also be an infra-red issue. Note that I am not Canon-bashing here, I own and enjoy a Canon 40D myself, but if I remotely had the money, I would also consider upgrading to something more modern…

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1399 on: January 08, 2013, 04:41:19 pm »

...Additionally, if the table-lamp has one of those modern energy efficient bulbs, then it might also be an infra-red issue...

It was one of those... but what is the infra-red issue with it?

... if I remotely had the money, I would also consider upgrading to something more modern…

Welcome to the club ;)
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 75   Go Up