Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477994 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #1180 on: August 17, 2012, 09:31:33 am »

You are so right Rob!

Riaan, it's a result of all those wonderful years I spent living with my Ann; she was always right, even when I hoped she was wrong. It rubbed off - now I'm always right; my self agrees with practically everything that I think. Where's the fun? Might as well be posting pictures for critique, for all the internal argument I get!

;-)

Rob C

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #1181 on: August 17, 2012, 09:36:24 am »

Might as well be posting pictures for critique, for all the internal argument I get!

So, whatever happened to that background curtain thingy you have been bragging about whole week?

Pictures or it didn't happen, as we say on the internut...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #1182 on: August 17, 2012, 10:00:52 am »

So, whatever happened to that background curtain thingy you have been bragging about whole week?

Pictures or it didn't happen, as we say on the internut...

Oscar, it is not a curtain thinggy, it's made from roller blind material. Or it will be once the sonofabitch delivers! I went to see pop and son yesterday - there's usually only one holding the fort and each blames the other - and I was promised, yet again, that it would be ready mañana, which is today - well, it is today but wasn't today yesterday, when it was going to be mañana, which is today... even I get confused. It's lilke bullfighting - the bull gets confused, what with all the junk they stuff into it (my belief in bravery is shallow) in the pen to confuse it and allow it to lose its cojones and even its ears... all I want is my white background, first discussed with the shop on the 18th of July (this Year of Our Lord).

In the meantime, I offer you a little token of the troubles and travails being suffered because of the crisis-what-crisis. People are selling what they can sell, but there are few buyers. They, too, await mañana.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:49:12 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #1183 on: August 17, 2012, 10:33:31 am »

Just to clear up any doubts, what with the great division by common language, I thought I'd illustrate what a curtain is usually thought to be; I do, however, accept that some refer to this specific type as nets. But never roller blinds.

This particular one, hiding the recent repairs and missing flower pots as we anticipate - still - the best efforts of the painters, is possibly the basis to a picture-in-waiting. With the exposure cranked up to illuminate a figure inside the room and close to said curtains, the doors opened away, the exterior would vanish and the girl would look quite ethereal...

I have no girl, so that's one that'll have to sit it out. Perhaps Cooter has a spare he could lend me for a week...?

Anyway, this is best examined to a decent soundtrack; imagine Sheryl as model and I'm sure you'll see this all differently.

http://youtu.be/EXSmAcJqsGI

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:49:58 am by Rob C »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #1184 on: August 17, 2012, 11:10:35 am »

Sheryl as model? Then I won't much care about the background really. Especially so, if she is in a window frame, in which case i would want you to capture her in the corresponding much alluded to state, her being a lady and all.

The picture of the curtain reminds me of this word:
Vitrage

May I also suggest you date your pictures from now on? It would make the picture of the boat and the title all the more relevant for future generations, so to speak...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #1185 on: August 17, 2012, 11:58:11 am »

Oscar, dates and posterity are the last things on my mind.

I have just done the trip to the roller blind shop and back. I hardly dare write this, but I had to leave the friggin' roll with them: they didn't use the stiff blind material I'd specified, they used a thick, white curtain material! And it was all creases. I could have done the same with a bloody sheet, and for free!

This time it was the old guy in charge; I said I'd return on Monday and see the son (who took the order) - if he's there!

Do you believe in jinx?

Rob C

seamus finn

« Reply #1186 on: August 17, 2012, 03:35:21 pm »

Cheeky:

WalterEG

« Reply #1187 on: August 17, 2012, 06:44:39 pm »

Great fun Seamus,

We see a lot of bare-bum tailoring in Sydney around Mardi-Gras time but I have never seen free-swinging metallic haemorrhoids before.

W

Rob C

« Reply #1188 on: August 18, 2012, 04:16:59 am »

Great fun Seamus,

We see a lot of bare-bum tailoring in Sydney around Mardi-Gras time but I have never seen free-swinging metallic haemorrhoids before.

W

Walter, I have no answer to your observation of Seamus's observation... I'm stuck for words. I better have another coffee and try again.

;-)

Rob C

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #1189 on: August 19, 2012, 04:19:11 pm »

This shot is closer to the middle of the herd, but I still like it.

Bruce

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1190 on: August 19, 2012, 08:17:02 pm »

This shot is closer to the middle of the herd, but I still like it.

Bruce

I like the scenery a lot, where is it?

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #1191 on: August 20, 2012, 10:43:44 am »

I like the scenery a lot, where is it?

This scenery was up and a few hundred yards to the left of a cable car lift in Wyoming's Grand Tetons.

Bruce

Rob C

« Reply #1192 on: August 23, 2012, 04:36:09 am »

I've a quite different sort of scenery; on one side (all round it, really - this is an island) it's rather flat and wet and on the other, quite tall and dangerous and given to the occassional attack of arson.

On my own obligatory, daily, exercise walks I tend to divorce the two extremes of topography and concentrate on the inner man and, especially, his finely-tuned sense of envy of things temporal.

This my latest flash of angst and breast-beating, tempered by the realisation that a long-standing dislike of cars in white (as of men in black) was possibly misplaced.

I took away the Swiss plate information to protect the probable owner who might have had a finger in someone's account. No kangaroo court justice here!

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:50:34 am by Rob C »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1193 on: August 23, 2012, 02:17:50 pm »

I've always thought that the SL looks best in black. The only problem is finding someone to clean it hourly.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #1194 on: August 23, 2012, 03:54:53 pm »

That's curious; black's the only colour I thought that body shape and its predecessor never suited! But, I think the big Merc saloons look best in black.

I'm sort of partial to Merc silver, my wife hated it and thought it looked unpainted, and we had a friend with a champagne 500SL. I wasn't unhappy for him, but I think I'd have gone for something else - perhaps a very dark blue or a claret red. but red's a very difficult colour to get to suit different shapes. My little X1/9 was a sort of pale red/orange that sounds awful but actually looked rather nice. Shortly after I bought mine they introduced a black one called the Lido with white seats; it looked good, but the very best of them was a different red to the one I was able to buy, much more akin to the red used by Alfa, my next set of wheels. I don't like the current red Alfas I see around here - they look different, but it could be a trick of the memory

I've now had three black cars - two Fiestas and an XR3i. They do look good clean, but don't look clean for very long, as you point out.

Well, the gloss doesn't seem to last very long now either; for the first few months after I bought my current Fiesta it kept its gloss very well; now not so, even when just washed, as this evening. I think I've said this before, but I suspect it has something to do with the use of water-based paints which, by the way, also seem to have far less 'hardness' to them: I am very careful, yet there are lots of scratches around the door handles even though I never have to use a key! I really don't know what they thought they were gaining; perhaps it's cheaper.

Going past a hoarding today I noticed it saying that all Ford's models were offering 25%... I couldn't catch 25% of what, but it doesn't appear to say anything very positive about the state of the market here.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1195 on: August 24, 2012, 10:51:08 am »

Well, I wandered off after lunch again, as is my sentence, and braving the radiation I noted that the season is definitely coming to an end. In a couple of weeks or so most of the boats at the visitors' quay will have vanished into the dawn and so will many of the pretty cars that brightend up the dull tarmac.

In fact, I couldn't find a single one worth the effort it takes to put it through the hoops in PS. So, ever more bored, and thinking this the end of the world, I trudged up to the ring-road where I park, and there in their usual dry field, under a semi-dead pine, stood these three poor old nags. Every day they stand there; I'm sure there's madness in their eyes. I would not cross the wire to make certain; I woudn't cross it even if I thought them sane.

However, it did cheer me up: I realised that some life forms get even more bored than do I.

Well, gotta love you and leave you and go up to the old town to get some fruit and veggies for the weekend - told you it gets boring - and en route I'll drop in to Pop & Son again and check out my roller blind background. I'm as faithful as an elephant. Perhaps I mean as patient as one? Who knows? Who cares? Anyway, here the horses. Be kind to the poor mothers: buy them a stream. Or at least a bucket.

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:50:52 am by Rob C »

Randy Carone

« Reply #1196 on: August 24, 2012, 11:37:04 am »

"I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful 100 percent." Horton the Elephant (Dr. Seuss)
Randy Carone

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1197 on: August 24, 2012, 12:11:22 pm »

Rob,

Your vintage car pix are really going back a ways now.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #1198 on: August 24, 2012, 01:12:57 pm »

Rob,

Your vintage car pix are really going back a ways now.

Eric, what do you want for three horse-power already?

Sheees!

;-)

Rob C

P.S. Pop & Son was closed...!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:15:00 pm by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1199 on: August 25, 2012, 03:51:57 pm »

My daughter checking a street jewelry stand:

Bling by Slobodan Blagojevic, on Flickr