Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477880 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #1080 on: July 15, 2012, 03:57:27 am »

Or, Rob, maybe you can earn a cut by introducing him to the young painters who did the fish job? ;)

Good thinking: I've still got a heap of newspapers donated by a bar for my firelighting use; I could at least mask off the soft-top with them and get some creative rush...

Better yet -  could leave under the wipers a copy of Chuck Berry's You Never Can Tell, with the big hint about a cherry-red fifty-three.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1081 on: July 15, 2012, 07:00:44 am »

Rob,

I just finished watching the concluding episode of Billy Connolly's Route 66 — talk about a wide-eyed Glaswegian landed in RnR heaven with bikes, trikes, and hopt rods.

Rob C

« Reply #1082 on: July 15, 2012, 01:26:45 pm »

Rob,

I just finished watching the concluding episode of Billy Connolly's Route 66 — talk about a wide-eyed Glaswegian landed in RnR heaven with bikes, trikes, and hopt rods.

I had no idea that he'd made such a pilgrimage; he comes from a fairly tough industrial background, so I'm sure he'd be able to look after himself. As for wide-eyed, it must be an act: he's been around several  blocks several times and maybe the language on some of his early shows could make some rednecks blush!

Nice to see somebody from back there (Scotland) doing well... I'm just wondering if Bond, James Bond, is still the Scottish Nationalist Party's member for Lyford Quay, New Providence, Bahamas. It's often said that the stongest (most vociferous?) nationalists are those who no longer live in the country they feel so passionately about; guess I failed that test, too, as in our case, I see it as economic suicide. I occasionally wonder what would have happened to all those accounts in the RBS and BOS had they both been based in an independent Scotland.

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1083 on: July 15, 2012, 02:00:42 pm »

Nice to see somebody from back there (Scotland) doing well... I'm just wondering if Bond, James Bond, is still the Scottish Nationalist Party's member for Lyford Quay, New Providence, Bahamas. It's often said that the stongest (most vociferous?) nationalists are those who no longer live in the country they feel so passionately about; guess I failed that test, too, as in our case, I see it as economic suicide. I occasionally wonder what would have happened to all those accounts in the RBS and BOS had they both been based in an independent Scotland.

Connery is still quoted from time to time as being in favour of independence from the UK (Scotland's, that is: he seems to have arranged his own quite effectively already). It didn't stop him from moaning about not getting a knighthood for a while (the reasons for his expecting it being, shall we say, unclear), or from accepting one with alacrity when it was offered.  From his web site:

Throughout his life, Sir Sean Connery has been an ardent supporter of Scotland. While it is generally accepted that his support of Scotland's independence and the Scottish National Party delayed his knighthood for many years, his commitment to Scotland has never wavered. Politics in the United Kingdom often has more intrigue than a James Bond plot. While Scotland is not yet independent, she does have a new parliament. Sir Sean campaigned hard for the yes vote during the Scottish Referendum that created the new Scottish Parliament. He believes firmly that the Scottish Parliament will grow in power and that Scotland will be independent within his lifetime.

I particularly love "while it is generally accepted".

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #1084 on: July 15, 2012, 03:03:40 pm »

They say that for the whisky, it's something in the water of Scotland and a few of its islands that makes it what it is - whatever that might be; I wonder what makes some of the minds go all softly out of focus at times.

The hardest thing is to stand alone; alone, you face all the threats and problems with your own tiny resources and around six-and-a-bit million people with a generally lower per capita income than down south makes no sense at all as a swap for the strength of ten times the mass. But sense and passion are not always found in bed together; it's also very convenient to have a 'big brother' scapegoat to blame for all of one's own shortcomings. But then, there has always been an exodus of the best brains to other countries. Odd, if the 'old country' offers so much raw opportunity; worse, if it doesn't, then why do those travelling brains not stay behind to fix the field and make it level? They know damned well why not.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1085 on: July 16, 2012, 11:10:21 am »

This damned cellphone keeps winding me up; I'm going to threaten it, gently, that I'm going to leave it at home or drop it in the drink.

All I do is end up in front of the computer for hours, tempting those veins to explode. And nobody even pays me.

Sheesh!

Rob C
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:28:15 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #1086 on: July 16, 2012, 04:33:24 pm »

Revisited an old website I loved; may have linked before - long time ago/leaking memory - so enjoy if it's your bag.

http://www.chicobialas.com

Rob C

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1087 on: July 16, 2012, 10:48:08 pm »

oldies

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1088 on: July 16, 2012, 11:26:17 pm »

Classics!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1089 on: July 17, 2012, 02:43:30 am »

Have you tried this in sepia or duotone maybe?

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #1090 on: July 17, 2012, 09:34:37 am »

Mike.

Wot??? On WP?

;-)

Rob C

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1091 on: July 19, 2012, 10:55:14 am »

Mike.

Here is a small attempt to make it look like different. Technically the photo isn't that good so I didn't think it's worth spending too much time on it. It's more about the content than the processing.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1092 on: July 19, 2012, 12:09:31 pm »

The vignetting does improve it. Nice.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

WalterEG

« Reply #1093 on: July 22, 2012, 01:42:29 pm »

It has been a while since I have posted a shot:

Regards,

W

Rob C

« Reply #1094 on: July 22, 2012, 03:47:11 pm »

I've never shot in these places - as far as I can remember. Thought about it on and off, but never got to the point; maybe somewhat afraid I won't get to leave.

They always strike me as a sort of railway station, with folks waiting for a train that's not coming along any time soon. The Sergio Leone ones would be quite interesting, what with tumbleweed and all that stuff drifting in and out of shot. I can almost hear the theme. Most apt for LuLa - absolutely in landscape genre.

I'm about to watch Shoot 'em Up, a Mafia flic with Monica Bellucci; love that mouth and the other bits aren't bad either. After that David Bailey swizz last night, I'm keeping my finger close to the OFF switch, though I hope Spanish tv is less prone to false/misleading advertising of itself.

Rob C

P.S. What I meant to say was that it isn't at all a depressing image, all things considered.

WalterEG

« Reply #1095 on: July 22, 2012, 06:36:15 pm »

After that David Bailey swizz last night, I'm keeping my finger close to the OFF switch, though I hope Spanish tv is less prone to false/misleading advertising of itself.

Rob C

P.S. What I meant to say was that it isn't at all a depressing image, all things considered.

So Rob,

What exactly was the DB swizz?

I have been documenting this necropolis for many many years.  Rookwood is the second largest in the southern hemisphere and dates from the early 19th century (old for here).  My study has covered such terrain as changes in the cultural attitude to the deceased across time and across nationalities.  The ornate wrought iron work, the tiles and the mass of this monument are in quite good order caomopared to many others.  The wall is the plinth of the largest monument in the entire place (which extend through a few suburbs) — a huge Celtic cross which I have shot before.  The fact that someone brought the lillies and shoved them into broken air vents caught my eye.

Cheers,

Rob C

« Reply #1096 on: July 23, 2012, 04:39:29 am »

The DB swindle was this: the BBC programmes webpage advertised a 45mins. programme on David Bailey's new exhibition about East London, all because of the current madness concerning the Olympics due to take place there soon. The exhibition, alluded to quite often on the Service (so they clearly value it), is apparently about the East End, its characters and the structural changes during the 60s, 80s and now. Coming from the area and representing one of its rags-to-riches icons, the man's the real deal.

The 45mins show turned into a very brief segment, a conversation with Bailey in what seems to be his public grumpy mood, where he said he hated 60s nostalgia (having done very well from it) and that he only used digital for doing street shots because, unlike film, it (digital) has no 'attitude' of its own.

The BBC used the DB connection to advertise the show so well that I had imagined it was all about the man. I can't even remember what the rest was about, other than that it left me fuming with that sense of having been ripped off, lied to, being deprived of my bed and being generally treated as an old rag.

Thing is, they think so much of DB as a draw, so with all their resources, why not just go and do a proper show about man and exhibition? Only 45mins of time to fill, very late at night. Miserable sods.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1097 on: July 23, 2012, 06:31:12 pm »

Man who wants pretty nurse, must be patient.

Passionate kiss, like spider web, leads to undoing of fly.

Lady who goes camping must beware of evil intent.

Squirrel who runs up woman's leg will not find nuts.

Man who leaps off cliff jumps to conclusion.

Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.

Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

It takes many nails to build a crib but only one screw to fill it.

Man who drives like hell is bound to get there.

Man who stands on toilet is high on pot.

Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs.

Finally CONFUCIUS DID SAY. . ..."A lion will not cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood!"

Sometimes, words mean more than pictures.

Rob C

John R

« Reply #1098 on: July 23, 2012, 07:06:21 pm »

It has been a while since I have posted a shot:

Regards,

W
That's a great shot Walter!

JMR

John R

« Reply #1099 on: July 23, 2012, 07:11:01 pm »

Here is one that I may fix a bit at the edges, but in the meantime, I think it turned out rather well.

JMR

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 75   Go Up