Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 478216 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #1020 on: June 25, 2012, 06:56:08 pm »

Rob,

Don't forget that if you want to win the lotteery, you have to buy a ticket!

When the headlights didn't come on by themselves, I had to pull over and wade through the 200-page manual looking for how to turn them on.

Eric

Eric -

The Euromillones lottery happens Tuesday and Friday nights; a ticket for the two dates costs 4€. It used to be just once a week, so you could say that my gambling habit has doubled from two to four euros a week! I have won the odd cup of coffee, but taking that mathematically tells a different story about economics. However, your first point is true: you gotta be in it to win it.

The manual thing made me laugh: I was washing the car on Saturday and realised that lots of blossoms from the trees on the by-pass where I park for lunch had fallen into that space under the hood and in front of the windscreen where you can't reach your fingers... so, I tried to find the lever to open the hood and attack the blossom from within; I had to use the book! The only lever I pulled turned out to be the one to adjust the level of the steering wheel. After that I decided that it was silly to take more chances, so it was back to RTFM!

I hate change. Cars should be standard regarding controls layout.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1021 on: June 25, 2012, 07:12:19 pm »

Mine too, Rob, mine too. That's perhaps the only car I really want (well, I might tolerate an Aston).

Jeremy

Note the great German engineering: no matter how many miles klicks you drive, the wheels are always in the same position, one to the other. No, I don't mean distance between front and rear nor track: the way the spokes look. And they don't require spinners!

;-)

Rob C

P.S. I like to think I have created a fresh urban motoring legend or, better still, myth.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:58:46 am by Rob C »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1022 on: June 25, 2012, 09:08:38 pm »

I hate change. Cars should be standard regarding controls layout.

Rob C
Amen to that, Rob!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1023 on: June 26, 2012, 03:29:37 am »

Note the great German engineering: no matter how many miles klicks you drive, the wheels are always in the same position, one to the other. No, I don't mean distance between front and rear nor track: the way the spokes look. And they don't require spinners!

Miles, Rob, miles. I'm English!

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #1024 on: June 26, 2012, 11:06:45 am »

I thought that, for a change, I should make a meaningful post.

But, try as I might, I just couldn't think of a things to write that had sufficient power to invoke or even to provoke meaning, so I offer this photograph instead as an example of double meanings. On the one hand, there's a loud and clear message to the older, more experienced membership regarding ultimate tonality, found only on WSG.

Then, on another level that requires absolutely no understanding of archaic darkroom processes, there's the difference between owning a boat and doing the work yourself. i.e. the painting, which would easily drive you insane, and making the mental adjustment required to accept that the very same task, when accomplished by an employed painter, brings said painter no anguish at all,  but joy in the knowledge of an invoice to be rendered. There could, as a bonus, be the additional concept of fear, fear that the client might suddenly see his porfolio turn to ashes. Who'd have imagined a painter's life could offer such drama?

Strange.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:30:52 pm by Rob C »

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1025 on: June 26, 2012, 12:48:32 pm »

Guess I'm the odd one out here regarding cars. The SLK's and Mustangs etc don't interest me at all, nice to look at sure but not something I would spend money on. If given a choice I would opt for a diesel Landcruiser or Pajero with front and rear diff locks any day of the week.

Rob C

« Reply #1026 on: June 26, 2012, 02:26:20 pm »

Guess I'm the odd one out here regarding cars. The SLK's and Mustangs etc don't interest me at all, nice to look at sure but not something I would spend money on. If given a choice I would opt for a diesel Landcruiser or Pajero with front and rear diff locks any day of the week.

Riaan, you don't want to know what Pajero is in Spanish.

Rob C

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1027 on: June 26, 2012, 02:55:29 pm »

Riaan, you don't want to know what Pajero is in Spanish.

Rob C

It's called the Shogun in other places of the world Rob, strange that the Africans and Australians drive around in horribly named vehicles though. 

Rob C

« Reply #1028 on: June 26, 2012, 02:56:27 pm »

No bandana this post-lunchtime - only a common or garden baseball cap. Gotta protect the nose, you see; maybe a large Lee UV filter...

Anyway, don't I look cute in these long shorts?

;-D

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:31:12 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #1029 on: June 26, 2012, 02:58:23 pm »

It's called the Shogun in other places of the world Rob, strange that the Africans and Australians drive around in horribly named vehicles though. 

The plot thickens: it's also Pajero here in Spain, would you believe?

Rob C

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1030 on: June 26, 2012, 03:10:50 pm »

The plot thickens: it's also Pajero here in Spain, would you believe?

Rob C

Strange indeed.

Rob C

« Reply #1031 on: June 26, 2012, 03:35:07 pm »

Even stranger: German plates, French address but here in Mallorca.

Got to admire their courage, though; I don't think it would be a vehicle long for this world if parked in Glasgow. Stamper may disagree - and as I've been long absent, he may be right to disagree - if he does, that is. Look good on a Lambo, nonetheless. Not that it doesn't look different on this van.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:32:00 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #1032 on: June 27, 2012, 05:21:31 pm »

Finally got to finish the music pics I'd started three weeks ago: too many cellpix distractions!

The lady singing is Carol Kidd

http://youtu.be/KlIxE4qRBe8

and the guy lounging on the rear right is Peter Schirmann who also drops in and jams on harmonica.

His cv is interesting, to say the least: good luck!

http://www.peterschirmann.de

Oh - a picture: to save a hunt, here's a link to the website page, with the new stuff on the last three rows; there's older jazz stuff's a few rows further back should you be interested.

http://www.roma57.com/the-biscuit-tin.html

Rob C

P.S. The over-use of 'impromptu' on the captions is due to contractual reasons.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:43:50 am by Rob C »

John R

« Reply #1033 on: June 27, 2012, 10:16:33 pm »

Not my usual fare, but I could not resist the glow of twilight and am happy with this result.

JMR

Tony Jay

« Reply #1034 on: June 28, 2012, 02:41:32 am »

Wonderful image.

I really like the water and the reflections off it.
Peace, grace, and beauty are three attributes that seem to fit very well with this image.

Congratulations.

Regards

Tony Jay

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1035 on: June 28, 2012, 12:53:03 pm »

Rob, just wondering. The musicians that you so often photograph are residents in your valley? Or are they on vacation?

Rob C

« Reply #1036 on: June 28, 2012, 01:06:42 pm »

Rob, just wondering. The musicians that you so often photograph are residents in your valley? Or are they on vacation?

No, some live here, Riaan; most are from Argentina; I feel I'd best stay friendly in case the Malvinas explode again ;-) The German gent, Peter, comes out on holiday and unwinds by jamming with the group; several singers pop in and out but few are anywhere near the status or quality of the Scottish lady, Carol.

The tenor player, however, is from Cuba, and he went off to Amsterdam this past winter for a while, but found that it was even more expensive to live there than here, so he's back. The guitar player with the ponytail is a local boy and has played pro all his life as, I think, has the new keyboard man from Argentina. He's gone through five marriages/divorces and tells me he's remained on happy terms with all of them... must be the music that weaves the magic. He is pretty thin, though, so he must have worn himself out with all that relationship-making.

Is there a music scene in your town? If there's a single drawback to all of this muso relationship stuff, it's that I can only have a single glass of red wine a day. Period. No other alcohol at all. What a friggin' break!

Rob C

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:11:13 pm by Rob C »

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1037 on: June 28, 2012, 01:48:24 pm »

Not my usual fare, but I could not resist the glow of twilight and am happy with this result.

JMR

Lovely/ splendid/ wonderfull stuff John..

I recently saw a coffeetable book by South African photographer Adrian Bailey titled " Dwellers in Eden." I was mesmerised to say the least, it felt like such a fresh take on the African wildlife genre that has been done to death to be almost unreal. I can't post the link to his site at the moment unfortunately. 

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1038 on: June 28, 2012, 02:25:16 pm »

Rob, interesting how all the musicians with their different backgounds gravitate towards one area.

I saw this on a visit last year to an area called the Wild Coast here. We were on a business trip and stayed at a popular backpacker's venue called Port St Johns, further down the coast there is a place called Coffee Bay that looks like it is caught in a time warp, one almost expects John Lennon to walk out one of the coffe shops at any time.

We did some pub crawling the one evening and at every establishment there was a group of people from all over the world "jamming." Real music being made by real people- like the five times married chap you describe. 

John R

« Reply #1039 on: June 28, 2012, 11:52:40 pm »

Lovely/ splendid/ wonderfull stuff John..

I recently saw a coffeetable book by South African photographer Adrian Bailey titled " Dwellers in Eden." I was mesmerised to say the least, it felt like such a fresh take on the African wildlife genre that has been done to death to be almost unreal. I can't post the link to his site at the moment unfortunately. 

Thank you for the comments Riaan and Tony. Just had a peak at Adrian Bailey and he is very good indeed. Wild and artistic.

JMR
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 75   Go Up