Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477908 times)

Ligament

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #980 on: June 04, 2012, 01:51:17 pm »

Outstanding! I'd love a print.

Rob C

« Reply #981 on: June 05, 2012, 09:26:48 am »

Another one from my recent bout of mountain madness.

I suppose that a tripod could always double as a crutch; one sees many of those disappointed ski-fans here: they walk about the place with their sticks but seem to have misplaced the skis. Reminds me of WalterEG's damsels - they too seem to have problems keeping track of things - their vestments, for example... it's all this Vestal Virgin stuff they learn at school - so much for a classic education if you catch your death of cold. Heaven alone knows what the summer sunshine skiers learned.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:35:27 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #982 on: June 06, 2012, 10:57:43 am »

Whilst still in pastoral mood - choice of alternatives would be a fine thing - here's more rural excitement. LOL.

Another rock, another tree, but this time no rock worth speaking about. And not a helluva lot of tree, come to think of it, but you can't have everything, not even on LuLa.

Watched a programme on tsunamis last night. We are all doomed. If not from the Canary Islands slipping down, then from those pesky fjords oop north. I personally believe that there is an even closer threat from northern Mallorca. One of those cliffs down, goodbye Barcelona and the south of France too. Sounds like a Woody A. movie, doesn't it?

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:35:40 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #983 on: June 06, 2012, 09:07:42 pm »

I see that you are becoming a convert Rob.

Rob C

« Reply #984 on: June 07, 2012, 04:19:47 am »

I see that you are becoming a convert Rob.

Don't be cruel, as Elvis said.

Just lack of better oppotunities, Walter; I'd gladly swap all these stones, ticks and thorns for one of your better birds any day! Thing is, it's all that stands between me and oblivion, though even that may be optimism. My eye tests haven't been concluded yet, but those two words 'pressure' and 'glaucoma' appear written down in my papers...

The joke about my heart problems was don't buy any LPs... now, it's probably going to be don't buy any LPs and forget about M9s, even in your dreams. Hey ho.

Worse yet, maybe I should forget the Mustang (car, not ranch) fantasy too.

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:47:06 am by Rob C »

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #985 on: June 08, 2012, 03:39:28 am »

Worse yet, maybe I should forget the Mustang (car, not ranch) fantasy too.

Hopefully the mustang ranch fantasy will be one of the last to go.

I vividly remember straying over the border from California into rural Nevada one time and being amazed at all the ranch-style brothels down their driveways off the highway. Mostly they looked quite seedy and in need of another coat of (pink) paint. These days I rather regret not stopping (to take photographs, I mean).
Ken Cameron

Rob C

« Reply #986 on: June 08, 2012, 09:51:09 am »

Hopefully the mustang ranch fantasy will be one of the last to go.

I vividly remember straying over the border from California into rural Nevada one time and being amazed at all the ranch-style brothels down their driveways off the highway. Mostly they looked quite seedy and in need of another coat of (pink) paint. These days I rather regret not stopping (to take photographs, I mean).

Well, Ken, seed and its (frustrated) sowing is what they are all about... I don't think I'd have stopped either - never felt that way about sex; had to be as a direct result of fond effort and wilful desire, not casual purchase in a down moment.

I remember a photo article in French PHOTO magazine some years ago based a shoot in one such place; boy, was it a lesson in sadness and depression dressed up as nirvana. To tell you the truth, I think that in my case the establishment would probably return me my money on the grounds of unfulfilled contract. I don't think I'd even kick the tyres.

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 04:23:21 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #987 on: June 08, 2012, 11:15:10 am »

As a change from twigs'n'stones, here's another postprandial walking shot on the telephone.

Not that you deserve this sort of stuff, of course, but what else can I do?

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:36:12 pm by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #988 on: June 08, 2012, 05:29:09 pm »

That is actually very cool, Rob!

Tony Jay

« Reply #989 on: June 08, 2012, 07:04:13 pm »

Great shot Rob.

Could almost be an abstract although it is not.
BTW some of the previous landscape images also give pause for thought.
Dare I say it - keep 'em coming.

Regards

Tony Jay

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #990 on: June 08, 2012, 11:21:50 pm »

I agree. I think you are finding a new niche, Rob. Keep it up!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #991 on: June 09, 2012, 04:10:03 am »

Thanks for the replies - always nice to know somebody else enjoys what's on the screen!

Since discovering that the volume - sorry - brightness of the cellphone can be pushed upwards, it has become slightly more easy to see what's being shot; however, regarding the fish, I took two shots (so daring!) and even then, the area I covered wasn't particularly accurate despite my thinking I could see the target a little bit better. The main difference between the two is that for the first shot I crouched, whereas for the second I deposited the bottom of my Levis onto the concrete and felt more grounded...

However, these after-lunch walks do avoid indigestion.

There's some more live jazz this afternoon from the old band I used to shoot last year - the venue is now outside under some trees, and so I expect the light to suck because of shadows on faces, but maybe that'll add something rather than detract? There are some really big musical names playing, on and off, within the loose combination. One is the harmonica player (a multi-instrumentalist) who is German and Berlin-based. His name is Peter Schiller/Schirmer or something similar (I lost his ID that he gave me but I did look him up at the time and he does a lot of arranging for orchestras and film and tv; there's also a Scottish singer - Carol Kidd, MBE (lots of stuff on Youtube) who has a wonderful voice but I have never shot her. That's because of her age, but I saw her on Thursday evening and asked if she'd mind my shooting and she said no problem. If she's there today, I shall have a bash at getting something. Trouble is, insofar as women go, I have this conditioning thing about not wanting to show anything less than what's flattering. I suppose it's a mark from the past, but there it is. How I wish I could actually photograph the music! I was on the verge of tears last year when she sang Autum Leaves to the crowded bar... that's something wonderful: that a name can have no problem singing for free and to a local little group of music fans. Annie L. famously said that you can't photograph dance - music is no different and, if anything, even more impossible.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #992 on: June 09, 2012, 05:26:36 am »

And each of us is possibly all to well acquainted with what a piss-poor job feat of it music makes in presenting a photograph or dance for that matter.  Thank goodness or all we'd need is one uber-discipline.

Cheers,

John R

« Reply #993 on: June 09, 2012, 08:37:44 am »

Fantasy march of the redcoats. The only one that came out looking reasonably like what I was after.

JMR

Rob C

« Reply #994 on: June 09, 2012, 09:03:57 am »

There are probably some people in England seeing exactly the same thing these days! Nice shot; I only once tried doing that kind of thing: it was of my muse, and we were up a hill by the side of Loch Lomond doing some piccies for somebody or another and thought it would be nice to try one of those slow-shutter running shots. She had a petticoat/slip things with her - far more interesting garment than undies, IMHO - and we managed to construct a rough guide from little stones and twigs for her to follow so that she could run slowly in a section of a circle (no af in those days, but I eschew it still) and let me stay in focus. Well, not myself in focus, but to the keep distance right. Right? It worked very well indeed... sadly, it's all gone to blazes with the rest of my fashion negs. What a bummer that was - and all of my own doing except for a b/w cal. shoot at Auchindrain, which I had guarded jealously, but still managed to lose. Yet, so much junk from other things survived a bit longer.

What was the reason/occasion for the redcoats?

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #995 on: June 09, 2012, 09:07:36 am »

And each of us is possibly all to well acquainted with what a piss-poor job feat of it music makes in presenting a photograph or dance for that matter.  Thank goodness or all we'd need is one uber-discipline.

Cheers,

Can't argue with that... but it would have been nice to be able to practise in an überdiscipline... I used to think we did, but that was long ago.

;-(

Rob C

John R

« Reply #996 on: June 09, 2012, 01:12:40 pm »

What was the reason/occasion for the redcoats?

Rob C
It's a slow exposure shot. It's a re-enactment of the battle of Stoney Creek, in Niagara Ontario. The Battle of Stoney Creek, 1813, is part of the celebrations of the 200th anniversary of the war of 1812 between the Americans and Canadian-British colonies, which is what Cananda was at the time. It was a turning point in the war. There is going to be another grand celebration in Niagara Falls. It was great. Saw about 200 white tents and I guess that was part of the encampment. They fired two canons and many rifles. You could see the fire shooting out of the barrel, along with all the smoke. They told us 6 out of every 10 soldiers actually died of disease and not conflict. Thanks for your comments.

Rob C

« Reply #997 on: June 09, 2012, 04:12:02 pm »

It's a slow exposure shot. It's a re-enactment of the battle of Stoney Creek, in Niagara Ontario. The Battle of Stoney Creek, 1813, is part of the celebrations of the 200th anniversary of the war of 1812 between the Americans and Canadian-British colonies, which is what Cananda was at the time. It was a turning point in the war. There is going to be another grand celebration in Niagara Falls. It was great. Saw about 200 white tents and I guess that was part of the encampment. They fired two canons and many rifles. You could see the fire shooting out of the barrel, along with all the smoke. They told us 6 out of every 10 soldiers actually died of disease and not conflict. Thanks for your comments.

Must have been before penicillin, then? Those pesky camp followers were a secret band of saboteurs infiltrated into the ranks by the opposite side. Maybe they all retired to the pink ranches afterwards, when conflict was over.

Goes to show, you never can tell.

;-(

Rob C

Tony Jay

« Reply #998 on: June 09, 2012, 04:42:42 pm »

John this is a magnificent image.
Full marks for pursuing your vision.

BTW I fully understand that with this sort of shot a lot of trial and error is needed.

Bravo

Tony Jay

Dahlmann

« Reply #999 on: June 11, 2012, 07:56:35 am »

Bokeh hunting

And a portrait

/Dahlmann
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 75   Go Up