Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477923 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #960 on: May 28, 2012, 06:28:00 am »

Yes, I remember you saying you had got yourself one of those; however, do you have similar problems to mine in actually seeing anything on the screen in bright sunlight? It works perfectly all right in low light, but in sunshine, I can't even read telephone numbers etc. never mind see what the lens is covering. It's a real pain, because I inevitably end up having to stand well back with the subsequent cropping that that entails later on, but even then I often cut off one side or the other of the main subject - 't's a bitch! It was really a drag doing those close-ups of peeling boat paint because of that fault.

I do see how these 'phones will be the end of cheap cameras, though.

Rob C

amolitor

« Reply #961 on: May 28, 2012, 06:54:00 am »

I don't understand why you didn't have the bumper chromed instead of painted?

Rob C

« Reply #962 on: May 28, 2012, 09:23:41 am »

I don't understand why you didn't have the bumper chromed instead of painted?

Actually, two reasons: I didn't think of it; I once tried to get the frame of the U.S. plate (that you see with my website) re-chromed here - it was impossible to find a service.

Investigation into the matter on the Internet revealed that in America, at least, there is a liquid chrome paint or spray! I did have real chrome plating experience as an apprentice engineer at one time, but nothing non-metalic could be treated because it all worked via electrolysis, I think it was. Anyway, we used to hang great bits of con-rod previously fashioned into domestic pokers into the vats and then bribe the polishing shop (with a packet of ten fags) to polish it up to a fine sparkle. We apprentices had the best fireside tools in town!

Yes, chrome would indeed be unique! I must worry about that now... which makes a change from worrying about the damned cellphone which has now returned all the past couple of hundred shots to the memory, despite my own and several other people's valiant attempts to delete. It deletes for a day or so, then everything returns... just like a conscience, then.

Rob C

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #963 on: May 28, 2012, 01:26:48 pm »

Finally had a change to take a look at the SL-owner's other car. I'm quite positive that this one is indeed capable of flight. It's either a hover-craft pretending to be a car, or it is a UFO responsible for crop-circles.

In case you're wondering about the setting; it's a quick impromptu venue, but this brand started off building tractors...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #964 on: May 28, 2012, 02:03:49 pm »

Indeed, and as with Shelby, it was a grudge match with Enzo.

Love those old crocks! (And the cars are rather nice too.)

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:16:20 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #965 on: May 28, 2012, 04:43:31 pm »

As rocks seem to be flavour of the month, here's a collection of them in one place, with a sting attached, but not in the tail in this instance.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:36:48 pm by Rob C »

John R

« Reply #966 on: May 28, 2012, 10:47:38 pm »

Early and very hot weather is cheating me out of Spring! Well at least one more that I can attribute to Spring just because it makes me feel like getting outside and taking more images.

JMR

Rob C

« Reply #967 on: May 29, 2012, 02:32:12 am »

I always find it encouraging to see folks shooting other than purely representational images; especially now, where I suppose you can, technically speaking, make things look as if they are sitting inside your monitor, it's nice to see imagination at play. It might or might not work for everybody, but since when has anything found universal appeal? Yes, personal touch is where it's at, in my opinion.

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 03:55:46 am by Rob C »

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #968 on: May 31, 2012, 03:46:13 pm »

P.S. It struck me that it's impossible to tell whether this was shot with the D700 or the cellphone. It wasn't a cellpic.
[/quote

I had the same thought quite some time ago Rob, especially after your table and chairs (?) pic. Could it really mean that equipment is largely irrelevant in the greater scheme of things? 

Rob C

« Reply #969 on: June 01, 2012, 04:10:31 am »

P.S. It struck me that it's impossible to tell whether this was shot with the D700 or the cellphone. It wasn't a cellpic.
[/quote

I had the same thought quite some time ago Rob, especially after your table and chairs (?) pic. Could it really mean that equipment is largely irrelevant in the greater scheme of things? 

Hi Riaan

I think that in many cases, especially for stuff that's not expected to have any life beyond the web, that a cellphone is as good as it generally gets or needs to get!

Thing is, I can't really see the subject outdoors in sunlight, and the odd shot that I do think would make a pleasing print is then too small within the sensor area and is only a jpeg anyhow. I suppose the answer is something small and cheap, like half a Leica (M4.5?) with a good viewfinder and knobs.

Dream on, Rob.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #970 on: June 02, 2012, 10:47:32 am »

Was a time that these little valleys were actually farmed - today, sheep graze and goats run wild. Tourists and bird-watchers (and the odd snapper) now have the run of the place - well, if they are very fit and wear anything other than sandals - but a hidden danger lurks: the grasses that grow alongside the rough paths/rain tracks are seasonally bedevilled with ticks. They hang about waiting for passing animals and hey, anything hot, sweaty and full of blood will do. I no longer smoke, not in bed nor anywhere else, and so the first traditional method of removal is denied me, but I do know that they sometimes just give up and let go, all by themselves. Perhaps they just dislike the aspirin content I enjoy. Oh, I don't know the season during which they flourish, but it's unlikely I'll be seeing them again in the very near future.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:37:07 pm by Rob C »

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #971 on: June 02, 2012, 12:29:53 pm »

Early and very hot weather is cheating me out of Spring! Well at least one more that I can attribute to Spring just because it makes me feel like getting outside and taking more images.

JMR

I love it John!

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #972 on: June 02, 2012, 12:45:48 pm »

Was a time that these little valleys were actually farmed - today, sheep graze and goats run wild. Tourists and bird-watchers (and the odd snapper) now have the run of the place - well, if they are very fit and wear anything other than sandals - but a hidden danger lurks: the grasses that grow alongside the rough paths/rain tracks are seasonally bedevilled with ticks. They hang about waiting for passing animals and hey, anything hot, sweaty and full of blood will do. I no longer smoke, not in bed nor anywhere else, and so the first traditional method of removal is denied me, but I do know that they sometimes just give up and let go, all by themselves. Perhaps they just dislike the aspirin content I enjoy. Oh, I don't know the season during which they flourish, but it's unlikely I'll be seeing them again in the very near future.

Rob C

Rob, I don't know if you can find it in the shops where you are but we use an insect repellant in a tube ( like a Pritt stick as used by kids in school for paper glueing) that can be smeared on the edges of your shoes and socks and also for good measeure a few dabs on the thigh area for those adventurous buggers that sit on the grass seeds higher up.

We have a particularly horrible version of the insect called pepper ticks. Minute animals that burrow into the skin and can only be removed by smothering them with vaseline. The above trick works even for them.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #973 on: June 02, 2012, 01:45:00 pm »

an older Florida shot

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #974 on: June 04, 2012, 01:41:34 am »

JMR

John: You might like this woman's work: Kathy Beal

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
Re: Without Prejudice: Waiting for the Dolphins
« Reply #975 on: June 04, 2012, 05:25:36 am »

At Chanonry Point. Fort George to the right. The Dolphins arrived a few minutes later and were tossing salmon out of the water. The photographers were squealing with delight.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:29:17 am by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

Rob C

« Reply #976 on: June 04, 2012, 09:21:58 am »

Goat tracks in the mountains are for goats; I really wonder why we lot sometimes find ourselves treading there where none of us should, not being goats, usually.

Anyway, might as well record the fact and chalk it up to experience, or simply as evidence against oneself.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:37:31 pm by Rob C »

Tony Jay

« Reply #977 on: June 04, 2012, 09:29:45 am »

Rob, this really is an intriguing image.

The more I look at it the more I like it (I liked it at first glance by the way).
It seems to combine an excellent photographic technique and composition together with a wilderness environment that I so treasure.

You do give very interesting critique, so it has been a pleasure to view one of your own images.

Regards

Tony Jay

Rob C

« Reply #978 on: June 04, 2012, 09:40:40 am »

Rob, this really is an intriguing image.

The more I look at it the more I like it (I liked it at first glance by the way).
It seems to combine an excellent photographic technique and composition together with a wilderness environment that I so treasure.

You do give very interesting critique, so it has been a pleasure to view one of your own images.

Regards

Tony Jay

Thanks, Tony; it's all that D700 and bog standard 1.8/50mm manual Nikkor's fault.

Rob C

P.S. I have realised that it's possible to raise the brightness on the cellphone screen; I will probably try using it tomorrow after lunch on my constitutional stroll. I usually have to give up snapping with it because, in sunshine, the screen appears jet black and I can't see a thing. In fact, I was in the daft position today of answering it when it rang and having no idea who was calling; I usually don't take calls from unknown mumbers - too many rackets going down here.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:59:54 am by Rob C »

Riaan van Wyk

Re: Without Prejudice: Waiting for the Dolphins
« Reply #979 on: June 04, 2012, 01:22:46 pm »

At Chanonry Point. Fort George to the right. The Dolphins arrived a few minutes later and were tossing salmon out of the water. The photographers were squealing with delight.

These days I'd rather be there with a fly rod in hand, chasing the salmon.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 75   Go Up