Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 478302 times)

popnfresh

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #940 on: May 23, 2012, 01:13:16 pm »

Noise reduction above the lowest level can smear fine detail in some cameras. And in a few cameras, even the lowest level of NR can smear detail. But typically, noise reduction does not apply to raw files, since by definition a raw file is the direct output from the camera's sensor before any post-processing is applied. But I understand that there are a few cameras that do apply NR even to raw files. If possible, I would turn off NR entirely, especially if your camera is applying it to its raw files. You can always apply NR in post with Photoshop if you need it. But once it's baked into the file that comes out of the camera you're stuck with it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:59:57 am by popnfresh »

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #941 on: May 23, 2012, 03:43:34 pm »

Thanks, Pop: that all sounds very reasonable. Scott

John R

« Reply #942 on: May 23, 2012, 06:03:22 pm »

Well thank you Scott, Ed and PopnFresh. Very good information which I did not know and simple to remember. From Ed's answer, I now realize that with my K10 I had the autonoise reduction feature on all the time and this explains why I had to wait almost as long as the exposure time for my results. Thanks again!

JMR

WalterEG

« Reply #943 on: May 24, 2012, 06:14:47 am »

A model prone to hissy fits I suspect all over a Harley-Davidson

Rob C

« Reply #944 on: May 24, 2012, 11:14:19 am »

A model prone to hissy fits I suspect all over a Harley-Davidson

Walter, please tell me it's rubber!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #945 on: May 24, 2012, 02:24:38 pm »

Another postprandial stroll this afternoon led me to thoughts of how wonderful car designers used to be: you could sit in the car and see all four corners from the driving seat!

I suspect that there's a parallel lurking somewhere here between old cameras and old cars... not to mention babies and bathwaters.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:37:56 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #946 on: May 24, 2012, 05:38:46 pm »

Walter, please tell me it's rubber!

Rob C

Not at all Rob,

It is the real deal with a mind of its own as to where it will pose and for how long.

Cheers,

W

Rob C

« Reply #947 on: May 24, 2012, 05:48:48 pm »

Not at all Rob,

It is the real deal with a mind of its own as to where it will pose and for how long.

Cheers,

W

Unless you had a very long lens - doesn't look it - or either you or the critter was in a box (seperately), you have got to be nuts!

On the other hand, this could be the stuff of dreams: nightmares for some but heaven for others. Sorry, just been watching House on Spanish tv (original language) and after so many moons away from it, it appears to have changed doctors and Cuddy was nowhere to be seen. What a drag: she was the best thing in it. Might look in again next week, but I'll probably forget, anyhow.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #948 on: May 24, 2012, 07:15:34 pm »

Not only ME being nuts Rob,

But the model also.

Rob C

« Reply #949 on: May 25, 2012, 03:35:25 am »

Not only ME being nuts Rob,

But the model also.

Insane!

The worm looks happy enough though, and I can certainly understand that. I would be happy enough too, but there you are, I'm stuck playing with a 31-year-old U.S. number plate instead.

Did anybody on the set come up with an apple?

Rob C

P.S. You studio heating's way too high.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 08:58:29 am by Rob C »

Dahlmann

« Reply #950 on: May 25, 2012, 04:38:10 am »

Pentax Smc 105mm 2.4 whit Canon 5d2

f8

f2.4

i am happy!!

/D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:44:14 am by Dahlmann »

John R

« Reply #951 on: May 25, 2012, 10:05:38 pm »

Very nice work Dahlman. I like how you kept the red vase to a minimum and thereby nicely balanced the powerful red vase with rest of the scene. Clearly the the shape of the vase is suggested and mysterious and and is not how we normally see such a scene.

I also like the woman. Perhaps it is how you nicely separated her from the background. The features on her sweater are sharply visible in contrast to the more washed out look of her face, which gives her a somewhat archtype look.

JMR

Dahlmann

« Reply #952 on: May 26, 2012, 12:05:44 am »

Very nice work Dahlman. I like how you kept the red vase to a minimum and thereby nicely balanced the powerful red vase with rest of the scene. Clearly the the shape of the vase is suggested and mysterious and and is not how we normally see such a scene.

I also like the woman. Perhaps it is how you nicely separated her from the background. The features on her sweater are sharply visible in contrast to the more washed out look of her face, which gives her a somewhat archtype look.

JMR

Thanks John =)

/D

Dahlmann

« Reply #953 on: May 26, 2012, 12:07:09 am »

Pentax 67 lens, 105mm 2.4 and 5d2

Noonie

/D

Rob C

« Reply #954 on: May 27, 2012, 06:36:10 am »

Legs still somewhat sore from the struggle along tracks, but as I do these things ever so slowly, the heart seems not to suffer - as far as I can tell.

Anyway, as I didn't shoot this the last time - armed only with the cellphone which, as everybody knows, gets heavier with each and every uncancellable image one shoots with it - I thought that adding the weight of a normal camera to this later spur-of-the-moment walk might produce beneficial physical results. Thanks again to Chris for encouraging me beyond the comfort zone...

;-) or, on the other hand, ;-(

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:38:22 pm by Rob C »

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #955 on: May 27, 2012, 07:47:52 am »

A nice illustration that the notional horizon line is sometimes best abandoned - the skewed angle makes this one for me.
Ken Cameron

Rob C

« Reply #956 on: May 27, 2012, 05:51:32 pm »

In reality, Ken, the structure is actually off the level too, as you can make out if you peer at it closely in relation to the stuff around it. Still, I did shoot it as straight as possible as well, but it didn't offer me the feeling I get from this approach.

Anyway, I watched the Monaco GP today and felt obliged to go out and wash the car, after which I though I'd take a snap of it since I seem to be snapping so many other ones instead... Sunday's not a good day for finding empty slots by the sea, but I was lucky enough to find a slot right away in which to catch a vertical. So I did. I've had the insert that takes up a lot of the space of the rear bumper painted to match the body - the original comes in bare, dark-grey plastic, on all Fiestas of all colours, as far as I know, and it must save Ford a fortune in paint when the costs are spread over many thousands - or, rather not spread over those thousands. However, it looks very unfinished, so I had it done. Turned out to be problematic for the painter, which might partly explain why Ford doesn't do it, but he got there in the end.

Funny old world, with funny old people.

;-)

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #957 on: May 27, 2012, 06:05:35 pm »

I am surprised at the things a thrifty Scot can find to squander his hard-earned on.

Painting the bumpers, indeed!

Regards,

W

Rob C

« Reply #958 on: May 28, 2012, 04:06:57 am »

Walter, that's the way of the world, now. You buy things and they are never complete or, as bad, they come with things you never wanted in the first place. That car demonstrates both extremes of bad customer relations: unfunished paintwork on the one hand and a talk-to-me-baby function on the other! ¿How crazy is that?

But then Scots have never been stingy - particularly to themselves - it's just another stereotype that gets handed down through the generations and played upon by the Scottish Tourist Board and sundry liars - much like the wearing of kilts, which strange idea I saw only in two situations: weddings of a certain type; a lone piper with hat on the ground attempting to earn a penny or two in the Trossachs. Obviously not the brightest of us: a truly clever one would have kept the bagpipes quiet and not driven away the passing tourists with the dreadful sound those things produce (I think I mean the pipes...). On the other hand, they do prompt the sale of lots of acetylsalicylic acid.

Better off with a kangaroo! At least it probably doesn't play the mouth organ.

Rob C

P.S. It struck me that it's impossible to tell whether this was shot with the D700 or the cellphone. It wasn't a cellpic. To be brutally truthful, I prefer the look of the shot of the classic Merc some slots above, which was on the cellphone. Oy veh. In fact, I suspect that were I actually able to see what I'm shooting with the cellphone, rather than guess, I'd stop using the cameras. Seriously, I mean this.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 04:17:46 am by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #959 on: May 28, 2012, 06:03:22 am »

Funnily enough Rob,

I had not been so intent on keeping my tongue well and truly in my cheek I was going to ask which capture device this was with.

As you may know, I briefly owned and used a Panasonic GF2 and came to the conclusion in a single weekend that whatever I wanted to do with it I could accomplish with greater facility with the iPhone camera.  I bought a tripod adapter for the iPhoine and mounted it on a Leitz Table top Tripod.

Cheers,

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 75   Go Up