Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477931 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #640 on: January 04, 2012, 05:08:33 pm »

"it even converts a lone cyclist to an identical twin on a tandem"

There is definitely a family planning component there to be exploited!

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:10:11 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #641 on: January 04, 2012, 05:11:13 pm »

Maybe the solution is a Nex 5 plus a sticker to paste on it that says "Leica."

Come to think of it, maybe I'll stick one on my S95.Eric

Golly, didn't know you drove a Volvo!

Rob C

degrub

« Reply #642 on: January 04, 2012, 05:15:03 pm »

It is gratis with the purchase of every Leica ;)

WalterEG

« Reply #643 on: January 04, 2012, 05:28:37 pm »

Eric,

I still have an old Hot Pink Leica sticker you are welcome to ...... as long as you don't mind a pic of an R3 on it.

Cheers,

W

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #644 on: January 04, 2012, 09:14:54 pm »

Eric,

I still have an old Hot Pink Leica sticker you are welcome to ...... as long as you don't mind a pic of an R3 on it.

Cheers,

W
W,

Actually, I like-a my Canons just fine as they are, thank you.

My father had a Leica M3 many years ago, and I got to handle it once. Just holding it and operating the controls taught me what Leica envy was ll about. My own camera then was a Pentax. I never dared borrow my father's Leica to shoot pictures with, as I was afraid I might misuse it in some way. It felt as if it demanded that I wear silk gloves when handling it. No, thank you.

E
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #645 on: January 05, 2012, 09:58:41 am »

That's quite a surprise, Eric; many a Leica went to war!

I'm not advocating pretty in pink, but I'm sure there's something wrong with me. Reading your post above had me seeing all manner of unusual metaphors hidden deeply in the subtext:

Leica envy; borrowing something of your father's; misuse of it; the wearing of silken gloves...

I think I'd better have another coffee and then go out for a brisk walk in the current gale conditions that have replaced the New Year calms!

Unfortunately, there won't be a Leica along with me.

Puzzled of Pollensa.

(aka Rob C)

Rob C

« Reply #646 on: January 05, 2012, 03:52:08 pm »

Not a Leica, but the dreaded Samsung cell thinggy! Shot a series on this theme yesterday, and today, coming back from the café (wow! feel like a teenager circa 1950s!), there was the most amazing sunset as I parked the car. I had a crack at it with the cell, but the pic on the 'phone's screen looked burned out near the hot bits... shall see later for, as someone famously said, tomorrow's another day.

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 03:23:24 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #647 on: January 07, 2012, 01:09:14 pm »

Teased the other computer into allowing me to update the website - well, to add a Cellpix section.

http://www.roma57.com/cellpix.html

Whether I'll still have it working when I try going back to it, I don't know. But one must remain optimistic, and in an attempt to be that, I've put a lot more stuff onto two external HDs and vanished the stuff from the computer itself. Awkward to access older images, I suppose, but better that than constant crashes and complaints about memory loss. (The computer's, not mine. With my own, as I don't remember what I've forgotten, it's quite unlikely that I shall complain, as anyone would understand.)

Hope you like the new cellpix stuff - yes, some of it is art because I just said it is. And some is not, but I know which is which.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #648 on: January 07, 2012, 02:22:07 pm »

Rob,

The cellphone (as you call it) pics are fantastic — well spotted and not overcooked with deliberation and contrivance.

I just successfully sold the wretched Panasonic Lumix GF2 I had squandered on because it dawned on me that the spontaneity I sought in a mirrorless camera was already inb my pocket on the iPhone.  Permanently in HDR mode and quite capable.

Cheers,

W

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #649 on: January 07, 2012, 02:29:52 pm »

I really like the new abstracts from your cell phone, Rob.

My only complaint is that I don't know which ones I'm supposed to like, since you haven't told us which ones are Art.
(And I thought Art was just the nickname of my pal Arthur).   ;)

Eric

Rob C

« Reply #650 on: January 07, 2012, 02:33:30 pm »

Thanks for the compliment, Walter; coming from you, that's praise indeed!

Do you do any shooting yourself, on the cellphone? I know I bitch abut mine, but I have dicovered that one or two of the shooting 'modes' that it offers do make a difference: I tried 'candlelight' (would you believe?) in a dim bar yesterday evening, and the shot in normal mode wasn't much (straight) but the candlelight one had a warm glow that I shall work with... hell, I'm doing more with this toy than with the real deals that I own! That just shows you: a perfect carry-around machine really would have a future. I still wonder at Nikon not doing a Lazarus with its rf cameras: stuff a D700 sensor into one of those rf bodies, and that's as good as I'd seek!

The hell with M9s!

Dream on, Rob; nobody listens to photographers.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #651 on: January 07, 2012, 02:36:08 pm »

I really like the new abstracts from your cell phone, Rob.

My only complaint is that I don't know which ones I'm supposed to like, since you haven't told us which ones are Art.
(And I thought Art was just the nickname of my pal Arthur).   ;)

Eric

Hell's teeth, Eric, you don't think I'd spoil it for you with my hang-ups, do you?

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #652 on: January 07, 2012, 11:13:35 pm »

Hell's teeth, Eric, you don't think I'd spoil it for you with my hang-ups, do you?

Rob C
;D

WalterEG

« Reply #653 on: January 08, 2012, 12:06:18 am »

The THING is, Rob, that a reworked Nikon RF would be as superfluous as any other 'camera'.

The cellphone cam is where it is at for that style of thing.

They have clip on accessory lenses for the iPhone and I feel they are superfluous also.

I was hoping that the Lumix was going to be a latter day equivalent of the Olympus Mju II with 35mm 1:2.8 that I had and loved.  But it is not and it can't be.  The digital file is different in nature to the little rectangle of film and so we are more discerning as to what we get with it.

Simple is best.  Well, for me, anyway.

Cheers,

W

Rob C

« Reply #654 on: January 08, 2012, 05:17:09 am »

The THING is, Rob, that a reworked Nikon RF would be as superfluous as any other 'camera'.The cellphone cam is where it is at for that style of thing.

They have clip on accessory lenses for the iPhone and I feel they are superfluous also.

I was hoping that the Lumix was going to be a latter day equivalent of the Olympus Mju II with 35mm 1:2.8 that I had and loved.  But it is not and it can't be.  The digital file is different in nature to the little rectangle of film and so we are more discerning as to what we get with it.

Simple is best.  Well, for me, anyway.

Cheers,

W

I'm not sure about that - the appeal of the rf is that it's flatter, smaller lenses fit, and I'd hope the ensemble would weigh far less. Weight is the single most difficult thing for me with my slr stuff, that and the tripod.  I have this huge Gitzo, but once out of reach of the car, it stays at home, and I have to use the tiny Slik... so much stuff and so limited by circumstance!

Simple is indeed best, for me too, but it should be the right simple, not one where most of the time I'm working blind. I've tried using the flash function on this cellphone, and you can elect to have it Off, Auto or just On. In the darkness it works when On, in mixed light it won't in any of the options! I've a couple of shots in the new gallery - one of a tricycle and another of a disused cinema doorway. In both cases I tried to get flash to play, but I couldn't see any flash at all; maybe it's so small that it's beyond the capability of my eyes to detect. In the cinema shot, the exposure turned out so long that there had to be massive sharpening to make the thing usable - and only at tiny sizes! I'd hoped a slight fill would have saved the day evening. Oh - what I did see in the cinema shot, as I was trying to get it to work, was the reflection, in one angle, of the camera with what seemed to be a continuous light in operation! I wonder if that's how it's meant to provide boost? Or is it a measuring device, to be followed by a real flash? It took so long I assumed it wasn't doing anything at all.

Rob

WalterEG

« Reply #655 on: January 08, 2012, 03:22:16 pm »

I've tried using the flash function on this cellphone, and you can elect to have it Off, Auto or just On. In the darkness it works when On, in mixed light it won't in any of the options! I've a couple of shots in the new gallery - one of a tricycle and another of a disused cinema doorway. In both cases I tried to get flash to play, but I couldn't see any flash at all; maybe it's so small that it's beyond the capability of my eyes to detect.

Rob,

Thank your lucky stars that the flash failed to function.  I hate flash nearly as much as I hate digital, and that's really saying something!

What is needed with mobile phones (as we call them here) is a bracket that allows attachment via a 1/4 thread to a tripod.  In my brief interlude with the Lumix I employed a Leitz table-top tripod and ball head combo that I have had since the 60s or 70s.  It worked a treat.  We all think we can hand hold more steadily than we really can and so with this there is a half-way point between hand-hold and proper tripod.  The table top can be held against a vertical wall if need be.

The shots on your Cellphone page are amongst the best I see you do - stick with it.  Does your cellphone have an HDR setting as the iPhone does?  That makes an incredible difference I find.

Cheers,

W

Rob C

« Reply #656 on: January 08, 2012, 04:37:48 pm »

Hi Walter

Well, that’s a good point: HDR. I simply don’t find anything called that. What I seem to have is a set of choices such as:

Landscape; Portraits; Night; Sports; Party/Indoor; Beach/Snow; Sunset; Dawn; Fall Colour; Firework; Text; Candlelight; Backlight.

Exposure value, from –2 to 2; Auto focus and Macro; Resolution 2560x1920 to 640x480; ISO Auto, 100, 200, 400; Auto contrast; Metering – Centre-weighted, Spot, Matrix. Image quality – Superfine, Fine, Normal.

Shooting Mode – Single Shot; Smile Shot; Continuous; Panorama.

Today I tried out the Beach/Snow setting hoping to cope with highlights à la burned out white boat hulls. I saw no difference. I also tried out the Backlight setting on a huge water reflection of the lowering sun: it was pretty damned good at holding detail within the burned area.

I’ve never moved ISO off Auto – as I have no way of knowing what the shutter or diaphragm are doing (if there is an iris!) where’s the advantage? If it’s Auto, I assume it’ll find ISO 400 when it needs it and ditto for 100.

As for the metering – I’m always on Matrix because that, as far as I understand, is using the whole area, but I have no idea what area the centre-weighted covers and even less the spot, and as I see no way of holding or changing what Spot might say, how does it fly?

Confusing, to say the least; could be that old pros just carry too much tech. baggage for these things.

Like you, I’d love to have a tripod hole on the thing, but even more than that, a simple button to press to fire it. Riaan tells me his Nokia used to have that. I have to hit the screen and that jolts everything, hence the tripod with use of the delay options supplied could be quite useful at times.

I did another test with the flash in the apartment today; what happens is that the light goes on, stays on for a while, and then the damned flash fires! How strange – I’d have tired arms doing that. Or great shots of my feet.

Rob C

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #657 on: January 10, 2012, 04:37:02 am »

Teased the other computer into allowing me to update the website - well, to add a Cellpix section.

http://www.roma57.com/cellpix.html

I'm rather fond of "Iberian Chairs."

Rob C

« Reply #658 on: January 10, 2012, 04:56:03 am »

I'm rather fond of "Iberian Chairs."

A proper artist's agent would reply to that and say of course, it gives the feeling of sitting but not sitting, raises the very question about the dangers of sitting in a DVT world, of the transcient versus the substantial within the world of perceptions and, generally, of the way we view what's in own subconscious. At that stage in the disposition of the proposition, I'd butt in to say that those chairs are really the most uncomfortable ones I have ever sat upon for the pleasures of eating. They are, I'm sure, based upon the original design patents of the Spanish Inquisition. However, they didn't seem so uncomfortable when we were young and bought them.

Anyway, stuck in this morning some more from yesterday. No, not chairs, pix.

;-(

Rob C  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:32:42 am by Rob C »

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
« Reply #659 on: January 10, 2012, 08:43:17 am »

Kill Your Enemy  :D

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 75   Go Up