Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477974 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #540 on: November 25, 2011, 10:39:32 am »

New Digital Rule of Thirds: every third shot shall be out of focus.

Who am I to argue?

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:04:26 am by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #541 on: November 25, 2011, 01:52:47 pm »

Rob,

I have always considered focus to be totally optional.  True, some things do need to be sharp.  But only some. 

Regards,

Rob C

« Reply #542 on: November 25, 2011, 03:44:38 pm »

That, Walter, is encouraging news!

I was going to do some more shooting today, but in the event, it became a toss-up between making lunch or going out and paying for it. In the event, I elected to make my own, and took a piece of sole out of the freezer and put it into the warmer part of the fridge in order to thaw it out (the fish). By the time I was read to cook, the fish surprised me with its rock-like property, so I put it back into the Ice Age and went out. That way, I lost both home lunch and morning shooting. By the time lunch was over, I thought I'd better stroll around for an hour to digest it, and then I returned home, by which time I was too damned tired to go back out again and work.
Things sometimes conspire to thwart me.

I've put the fish into the fridge again tonight, so it may be okay for tomorrow. Or not. Either way, I've gotta get out and do it!

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #543 on: November 25, 2011, 04:00:39 pm »

... I've gotta get out and do it!

Careful, Rob! You might end up creating landscape photography and actually enjoying it along the way ;)

fredjeang

« Reply #544 on: November 25, 2011, 06:19:49 pm »

Another shot of the Bay during the brewing of a storm that I managed to evade by the simple expedient of running away. Well, that's an exaggeration: I drove away.

Rob C
Very nice indeed!

Yeah, Slobodan's right...be carefull, it might be adictive.

Rob C

« Reply #545 on: November 26, 2011, 07:14:31 am »

Oh those weasel words: "creating... addictive... enjoying"!

Hot dam, it's out of desperation that I tread these paths. But thanks for noticing, anyway!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 08:36:18 am by Rob C »

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #546 on: November 26, 2011, 08:02:26 am »

Relax guys, a glass of Rioja on Plaza Major (or any other place in Spain for that matter) is all you need to wind down:

pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #547 on: November 26, 2011, 08:40:47 am »

Nice shot, but this guy is straight out of Central Casting for the next Desperado movie. Don't know if I'd enjoy the Rioja under those conditions; however, were Salma to appear, the wine would take second place at once...

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #548 on: November 26, 2011, 10:22:25 am »

Rob, You'd be safe as long as you went with your 45 on your side.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #549 on: November 26, 2011, 10:43:22 am »

To tell you the truth, Russ, though I was once very anti-guns (in the sense of others carrying them) I am coming round to the idea that it isn't such a bad concept after all, my carrying one. In fact, the older and more spaced out I become the more it seems to have a divine logic to it - the gun, that is.

Well, I took myself out after lunch after all, bag over shoulder and tripod in hand; should have stayed home. Like Brenda sings into my ear right now: sweet nothin'! The problem was the clouds allied to the concept of the tripod. I hate the bloody three-legged things and though I have two, a huge Gitzo as well as a much lighter Slik, it's only the little Slik that I can still carry further than ten yards. And, in poor weather, and with the 500mm, it's a waste of time. As I found. I suspect the Cat will remain in its case until the sun comes back, whenever. Carrying a single, fitted, hand-holdable lens is far more reasonable a concept. Which is back where I was.

Glad to say the fish I almost had yesterday turned out to be rather nice today, so not everything was lost after getting out of bed.

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #550 on: November 26, 2011, 11:47:58 am »

Strange, Rob. I have two tripods also, including a little Slik. I rarely use either one of them, but when I do it's almost always the little Slik, since the Slik only weighs about three pounds. The other one's a Flashpoint. Like the Slik, it's carbon fiber, but much bigger and, even in fiber, fairly heavy. I sometimes use it in the mountains when the wind's blowing and I don't have to go far from the car. Here's a shot I made yesterday off the Slik. Since this thread bans prejudice I guess it's okay to post a landscape of sorts. This is PEAR Park (Palatlakaha Environmental and Agricultural Reserve). I'm standing on a very jungly path under the palms, etc., looking out at what I call the veldt. I always sort of expect to see a rhino wander into the scene.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #551 on: November 26, 2011, 12:11:44 pm »

I always sort of expect to see a rhino wander into the scene.

Never mind the rhino, worry more about snakes! You have enough home-grown varieties to scare the bejeezas out of most sane people. I remember being in Florida and reading a notice warning one away from any little heap of twigs or stones... seems not all the snakes that left Ireland turned into something else, regardless of what pulp writers claim!

;-)

Rob

WalterEG

« Reply #552 on: November 26, 2011, 02:19:21 pm »

I must be weird, I just splurged an an even heavier twin shank Manfrotto because the carbon fibre Gitzo lacks the necessary mass for true stability — and it ain't no small Gitzo, either.

A Copal 3 shutter goes off with a bit of a wallop, especially when racked out some 12 inches or so from the fulcrum with a breeze hitting the spinnaker bellows.

Probably am weird using such kit to begin with.  It is just an aversion to throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Cheers,

W

Rob C

« Reply #553 on: November 26, 2011, 04:24:36 pm »

Walter -

My bitch with the big Gitzo isn't the Gitzo: it's me! I'm just too pooped to pop with it outwith car or location easy-stolling distance.

Using the toy Slik today with the D700 and 500 Cat would have been funny if it wasn't so damned frustrating; even without touching the bloody thing I could stand there, fascinated, as I saw the shuddering going on in the image within the pentaprism at every tiny breath of sea air.

The Slik works like a dream when used as a two-legged monopod, even does well with my 2.8/180mm as my music experiments showed me; however, on three legs with extended balance points it's another matter, akin to your own with bellows. The two-leg solution doesn't seem to work too well with the Cat not only because of balance, but because the angle is so extreme that just holding the subject in the right place is difficult, never mind the little matter of focus when required which, we both agree, isn't always. But framing does need to be right!

Worse (you just knew that would come), I'm having trouble with my right eye and though it works well enough to frame, I find myself using the left one for a final quick focus check. Strikes me that not only tripods are going to be problematic. When I checked with the quack, he blamed the muscles and said not a lot could be done; I hope it is only muscular. The chef at my local eatery has just had a dislodged retina fixed; said it was a hellish experience and that the damage came without any blow to the head or any form of impact of which he was aware.

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 04:03:11 am by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #554 on: November 27, 2011, 03:07:32 am »

Another little offering to test the NSFW waters.

Rob C

« Reply #555 on: November 27, 2011, 03:59:57 am »

Walter

Beautiful.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #556 on: November 27, 2011, 05:50:11 am »

Thank you Rob,  She has beauty and brains.  Lives in the nation's capital and works as a legislative editor - putting new bills passed by government into comprhensible syntax.

Who'da thought?

W

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #557 on: November 27, 2011, 10:31:37 am »

... She has beauty and brains...

Ain't that a naked truth ;)

Rob C

« Reply #558 on: November 27, 2011, 11:30:36 am »

Ain't that a naked truth ;)

Of the two, had I to make a personal, permanent choice, I'd pick brains every time. Imagine life with a bimbo?

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #559 on: November 27, 2011, 11:37:17 am »

Rescued from yesterday's disaster with baby Sliks and sea breezes.

I'd thought of showing it under the Trees banner, but thought I might get me timbers shivered there.

This was taken with the 500mm Cat wide open at f8 or, as some choose to see it, stopped down to its smallest aperture of f8. Clearly, this all depends on that terribly important thing to do with glasses being half empty or half full.

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:47:52 pm by Rob C »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 75   Go Up