Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477920 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #440 on: June 05, 2011, 05:16:14 am »

Hey Rob,

Glad to see you still use - to quote that brilliant "Not The 9 o'clock News" sketch - a "gramophone", dad"!
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Rob C

« Reply #441 on: June 05, 2011, 11:17:02 am »

Hey Rob,

Glad to see you still use - to quote that brilliant "Not The 9 o'clock News" sketch - a "gramophone", dad"!

Gramophone? Gramophone' That's latest technology: it's a Pioneer turntable, dear boy! Where have you been hiding recently?

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #442 on: June 05, 2011, 01:05:36 pm »

Just to show that there's more than the workroom in my life, I offer this little snippet from yesterday's shoot. I don't have a clue how to do this, but it would be best viewed with the soundtrack that's in the link, but without the visual to the link, if you see what I think I mean.

http://youtu.be/VWZkRNEULi4

Technology would be nice were it tame.

;-(

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:44:58 am by Rob C »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #443 on: June 05, 2011, 01:24:48 pm »

Just to show that there's more than the workroom in my life, I offer this little snippet from yesterday's shoot. I don't have a clue how to do this, but it would be best viewed with the soundtrack that's in the link, but without the visual to the link, if you see what I think I mean.

http://youtu.be/VWZkRNEULi4

Technology would be nice were it tame.

Rob C
You just have to show it who's master, Rob! Open the music link in a separate tab, then switch back to looking at the image.

Lovely combination.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #444 on: June 05, 2011, 03:18:54 pm »

You just have to show it who's master, Rob! Open the music link in a separate tab, then switch back to looking at the image.

Lovely combination.

Jeremy

Never thought of that! You see my problems with the modern age? I'm, sure my granddaughters wouldn't have hesitated in finding a how, but then, I'd rather they didn't listen to the music this time.

God, that woman has a heavenly voice. On the one hand I have C&W ladies like Loretta Lynn, Patty Loveless and Patsy Cline can make the hair stand up on the back of my neck (better than nothing) whilst others like the divine Julie can make me purrrr. What magic in sound.

Glad you liked the combo!

Rob C

PS  Just tried to do it: it worked! Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:24:38 pm by Rob C »

William Walker

« Reply #445 on: June 06, 2011, 03:16:34 am »

Gramophone? Gramophone' That's latest technology: it's a Pioneer turntable, dear boy! Where have you been hiding recently?

;-)

Rob C

Here is the link I was referring to:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco
you will see what I was meaning  ;D ;D ;D
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Rob C

« Reply #446 on: June 06, 2011, 09:09:59 am »

Here is the link I was referring to:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco
you will see what I was meaning  ;D ;D ;D

Hey, I knew what you were talking about; I have grandchildren for pity's sake! ;-)

In point of fact, it isn't as far off as you might imagine: some ten years or so ago we were back in Scotland with the car and I'd taken along the Beogram turntable to see if the local B&O dealer could still get the parts to fix it: probably only needed a new drive belt or something similar. Anyway, the reception was pretty close to the one in the video, except that the guy informed me that they had around five or six similar dead units up in the attic of the shop...

Folks complain about camera makers abandoning people with old stystems; compared to the money some have in records, that's chicken feed.

But I digress. He told us that he could sell us a new Technics turntable that would work with the B&O amplifier and the rest, so we bought it at his word. When I tried to connect it up in Mallorca, it was dead as a brick. The local hifi dealer here, whom we'd known for years, came along to see if it was my error, but no, it just wouldn't fly. So the B&O amp ended up in the top of a cupboard and I bought into Pioneer... which, fortunately, does work with Technics. All that remains from that era is the speakers, still rather nice to my ears.

I sometimes wonder where the hell the money flies.

Rob C

William Walker

« Reply #447 on: June 06, 2011, 09:23:40 am »

Hey, I knew what you were talking about; I have grandchildren for pity's sake! ;-)

I wasn't thinking you were too young to know it, the way you talk somedays, I was worried that you might be more of "Goon Show"  and earlier vintage!! ;)

Rob C

« Reply #448 on: June 06, 2011, 02:00:42 pm »

I wasn't thinking you were too young to know it, the way you talk somedays, I was worried that you might be more of "Goon Show"  and earlier vintage!! ;)

What was wrong with the Goons? What was wrong with Ted Heath (the band) or Ken MacIntosh? Lita Rosa, early Cliff Richard? I still await a cheque for a print or two from Chris Barber, but I'm not holding my breath. Don't you remember Earl Bostic's Flamingo?

I have the advantage of spatial perspective, as Russ would say; sometimes much of it has haze, too.

;-)

Rob C

William Walker

« Reply #449 on: June 06, 2011, 03:23:07 pm »

What was wrong with Ted Heath (the band) or Ken MacIntosh? Lita Rosa, early Cliff Richard? I still await a cheque for a print or two from Chris Barber, but I'm not holding my breath. Don't you remember Earl Bostic's Flamingo?

You've got me there....apart from Cliff (I remember seeing "The Young Ones" when I myself was a very young one). For the rest of them, not even a faint memory. Chris Barber sounds sort of familiar, who was he? Not later a member of Coliseum, with Dick Heckstall-Smith?

Rob C

« Reply #450 on: June 06, 2011, 05:18:45 pm »

You've got me there....apart from Cliff (I remember seeing "The Young Ones" when I myself was a very young one). For the rest of them, not even a faint memory. Chris Barber sounds sort of familiar, who was he? Not later a member of Coliseum, with Dick Heckstall-Smith?

Chris Barber is/was a trombone player in the traditional jazz idiom; he had a great band and I was fortunate enough to shoot some pics at a dance. He asked me to send prints down to London... I did... I wait.  This was mid-fifties, maybe I shouldn't hold my breath? Anyway, loved his style so it doesn't really matter; for all I know I might even have forgotten to put the bill inside the package. Wouldn't surprise me at all. Barber and Humphrey Lyttelton were the two most successful trad bands in the UK, I'd suggest.

MacIntosh and Heath were very big British dance bands of the 50s in the Glenn Miller manner. Earl Bostic had a great sax sond; try looking for him and 'Flamingo' on youtube. Just struck me: you did hear of Glenn Miller? Not being rude here, it is quite possible that one of the biggest names in WW2 music, he could be totally forgotten a short while later.

Rob C

William Walker

« Reply #451 on: June 07, 2011, 02:12:06 am »

Just struck me: you did hear of Glenn Miller? Not being rude here, it is quite possible that one of the biggest names in WW2 music, he could be totally forgotten a short while later.

Rob C

Glen Miller I do know, through my Dad,who was in the War (South African Air Force), so I grew up listening to him. Glen Miller died in a plane crash during/towards the end of the war? I'll tell you who else my Dad listened to and I have been trying to find it ever since, Billy Vaughan. I just remember the saxes playing in harmony, that was great to my five-year old ears. Crazy Otto? Did you listen to him?

I was more influenced by my Uncle's taste though, Acker Bilk, Fats Waller - that sort of thing. Still love the clarinet today because of that. There is a great album out by Louis Cottrell, "New Orleans Living Legends", beautiful!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:20:32 am by W. Walker »

Rob C

« Reply #452 on: June 07, 2011, 03:32:55 am »

Glen Miller I do know, through my Dad,who was in the War (South African Air Force), so I grew up listening to him. Glen Miller died in a plane crash during/towards the end of the war? I'll tell you who else my Dad listened to and I have been trying to find it ever since, Billy Vaughan. I just remember the saxes playing in harmony, that was great to my five-year old ears. Crazy Otto? Did you listen to him?

I was more influenced by my Uncle's taste though, Acker Bilk, Fats Waller - that sort of thing. Still love the clarinet today because of that. There is a great album out by Louis Cottrell, "New Orleans Living Legends", beautiful!

That's controversial about Glenn; some say his 'plane didn't vanish in the English Channel but that he and Elvis and Henry, from M*A*S*H, who also supposedly perished on a flight from Korea are all together on an island in the Bermuda Triangle. I am only reporting, so don't quote. It could be false.

New Orleans. The book that opened the doors (or my ears) to that sound was Jazz by Rex Stuart. It was, at least I seem to remember it as, a paperback from, I think, Penguin. As with so much in life, you lose things... I lost David Niven's The Moon's a Balloon to the crew of a boat that I shot here for Pete Townshend via a local agent (I'm told he had several boats at the time); they sailed away without giving it back. But I did get paid. Not for the book, for the snaps. In retrospect, I bet I was screwed there, too: the local boat agent later did a run owing a huge sum around the marina; I wonder how inflated my quote for the shoot might have been...

I remember it, rightly or wrongly, as being called the Billy Vaughan Orchestra; maybe that'll help you do youtube search for videos?

Mr Bilk had a style and some popular hits, but I preferred Monty Sunshine on clarinet (from the Brits), but if you listen to Sidney Bechet on clarinet or soprano with Armstrong's Hot Five or Hot Seven you'll love him.

As you might have seen, I have a few shots of a Cuban tenor player who lives and works near me on this island; it's interesting to learn that due to political censorship at various times, the whole New Orleans sound is totally alien to him: with no exposure to it in Cuba. On the other hand, modern jazz he knows all about. Hard to understand how politics can alter musical perspectives so radically.

Rob C

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:35:08 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #453 on: June 09, 2011, 03:33:02 pm »

Okay, some psychoanalysis: why is it that this old D200 shot reminds me of Judy Garland?

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:08:45 pm by Rob C »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #454 on: June 09, 2011, 03:43:07 pm »

Okay, some psychoanalysis: why is it that this old D200 shot reminds me of Judy Garland?

Rob C

Because it is a pinwheel with a solid core in the context of going up or down.  And because it is missing something?

Bruce
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:46:29 pm by Bruce Cox »

Rob C

« Reply #455 on: June 09, 2011, 05:06:24 pm »

Because it is a pinwheel with a solid core in the context of going up or down.  And because it is missing something?

Bruce

Hey! Bruce

The missing bit's easy: the top hat. The minute you look for it you realise it's lost in suggestion.

Did Judy do a lot of spinning, though? Guess she probably had to; the up and down is fairly standard, all the same; we all have to do it on and off, in and out of season.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #456 on: June 15, 2011, 04:41:48 pm »

Just for the hell of it, I decided to take the D200 out of mothballs and try it out with the 2.8/180mm as the 'effective' 270mm it then seems to become.

A bit of a shock, actually. The D700 seems to deal with contrasts a little bit better - no, a lot better - and several otherwise nice frames from this shoot had to be abandoned because the OOF effects didn't work smoothly at all, but rendered themselves as far too burned out. (Oh film...) Even this shot had to have a lot of the left side removed because of the distractingly burned out clothes. But anyway, digital still gives a result that can work well enough, to borrow that dreadful phrase of the charlatan!

Rob C

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:24:23 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #457 on: June 26, 2011, 11:28:00 am »

Okay, not my pics, but what the hell!

Instead, my granddaughter Francesca (on the right) doing well; wish my wife was here to see this.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:42:20 am by Rob C »

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #458 on: June 26, 2011, 12:28:18 pm »

Fully justified to be proud Rob. A beautiful young lady with the talent to convince the judges that she has the best English language mooting skills is worth all praise.

Just listen with me to the friendly harmonica player on a bridge in Amsterdam playing a song to celebrate the occasion :)

pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #459 on: June 26, 2011, 12:54:30 pm »

Hey Pieter, thanks for the kind words!

Tried to get the sound to work but can't find it - shouldn't it have opened on my sound system the same way as youtube links do? Quite clearly, regarding computer dexterity I am still very much pre-kindergarten!

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 75   Go Up