Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477956 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #360 on: February 25, 2011, 02:30:38 pm »

...doves, ritual of welcome...

As I remarked, Patricia, twelve bags full!

;-(

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #361 on: February 25, 2011, 02:41:00 pm »

... we are plagued by pigeons here: they shit in the gutters and in the little tower at the top of the stairs, where they clog the drains and the ceiling falls in every second year...

Not sure whose shitty work is to blame here... pigeons' or builders/contractors'? ;)

On second thought... life's contradictions: symbol of peace, elegance, eternal love...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:45:19 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

fredjeang

« Reply #362 on: February 25, 2011, 02:41:44 pm »

Thanks Rob,

Well I'm not surprised that Bassman gave up because of the plateau invasion. I like the team work, but indeed (at least for me) I rather work with a very reduced fixed team. All this noise on the plateau, all the useless circus is something that I think does not help the photography process.

Rob C

« Reply #363 on: February 25, 2011, 03:03:09 pm »

A wall of a different kind: inside a local bar last Saturday afternoon.

This was with the camera set at Auto ISO and the shutter at around a 125th or so and aperture of the manual 1.8/50 Nikkor at f1.8 or f2. It features some of the same musicians as the previous time, but as the video guy's lights were gone this visit... the b/w conversions suck. Funny how colour can work better with poor lighting. I almost wished for af as it was so hard to see anything to focus; best reason for metal highlights I can think of!

I'm convinced, more than ever, that when Annie L commented that you can't photograph dance she was right; I'd extend that to music. All you can get are musicians. On the upside: the speaker on the right was so damn loud it blew away my sensor dust. You'd never know that - looks so cool and laid back. But the sax man is always laid back, wherever I see him. He's Cuban, you know. Very philosophical.

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:19:17 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #364 on: February 25, 2011, 03:08:39 pm »

Thanks Rob,

Well I'm not surprised that Bassman gave up because of the plateau invasion. I like the team work, but indeed (at least for me) I rather work with a very reduced fixed team. All this noise on the plateau, all the useless circus is something that I think does not help the photography process.

Reminds me of an interview I saw with Jean Shrimpton. She said more or less that about Bailey when somebody commented about his using the same small group of two or three girls: "he hates surprises." I endorse that view. Familiarity doesn't breed contempt: it gives you something from which to build, and saves the intro bullshitting every time.

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #365 on: February 25, 2011, 03:55:11 pm »

A wall of a different kind: inside a local bar last Saturday afternoon.

This was with the camera set at Auto ISO and the shutter at around a 125th or so and aperture of the manual 1.8/50 Nikkor at f1.8 or f2. It features some of the same musicians as the previous time, but as the video guy's lights were gone this visit... the b/w conversions suck. Funny how colour can work better with poor lighting. I almost wished for af as it was so hard to see anything to focus; best reason for metal highlights I can think of!

I'm convinced, more than ever, that when Annie L commented that you can't photograph dance she was right; I'd extend that to music. All you can get are musicians. On the upside: the speaker on the right was so damn loud it blew away my sensor dust. You'd never know that - looks so cool and laid back. But the sax man is always laid back, wherever I see him. He's Cuban, you know. Very philosophical.

Rob C
I like this pic Rob, the tones and the division in 3 (by the 2 verticals) and the very narrow d.o.f. Also, the Nikkor prime is a great glass, it's visible even at that size-resolution.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #366 on: February 25, 2011, 05:51:52 pm »

Fred
Patricia, do you know that Bassman gave up fashion when the stylists, hair and makeup people became important and invaded the plateau? Her modus operandi was identical with mine: our girls knew what to do by themselves and we worked within a minimalist setup. As a rĂ´le model for Fred - I don't know.

But, Fred, the right thing will come, for you as it did for me. Just be ready to grab when it does.

Rob C
Rob/Fred... I read a wonderful interview with Lillian, at age 93, December of last year. She has reinvented herself and is doing remarkable work with her old love of the darkroom, but via Photoshop now. She said she had always been interested in going back and changing things, the way she would in George's darkroom with spatula and tissue paper for example to produce her sensual diffusing and selective sharpening. Her assistant, Steve Lipuma does the legwork/scans and she does the PS work in a quite unconventional way. She did a shoot last year to keep her hand in it..."For me, all that goes on in photography is intuitive...I just feel certain directions and that's how I go."  That's what made me think of Lillian Fred when I looked at your two images...  There's a bit here    http://www.coolhunting.com/culture/lillian-bassman.php   
A common woman~

fredjeang

« Reply #367 on: February 25, 2011, 06:06:51 pm »

Rob/Fred... I read a wonderful interview with Lillian, at age 93, December of last year. She has reinvented herself and is doing remarkable work with her old love of the darkroom, but via Photoshop now. She said she had always been interested in going back and changing things, the way she would in George's darkroom with spatula and tissue paper for example to produce her sensual diffusing and selective sharpening. Her assistant, Steve Lipuma does the legwork/scans and she does the PS work in a quite unconventional way. She did a shoot last year to keep her hand in it..."For me, all that goes on in photography is intuitive...I just feel certain directions and that's how I go."  That's what made me think of Lillian Fred when I looked at your two images...  There's a bit here    http://www.coolhunting.com/culture/lillian-bassman.php   
Yes, Lillian pics are stunning. It's very good to see that in all the mess about dynamic range and pixels and bits and my gear is better than yours etc...just looking at her images, the way she blows highlights on purpose and all the poetry and love involved, how refreshing!

Agree about using the intuitive feelings and move from there.

Thanks for sharing Patricia.

Rob C

« Reply #368 on: February 27, 2011, 01:40:34 pm »

I like this pic Rob, the tones and the division in 3 (by the 2 verticals) and the very narrow d.o.f. Also, the Nikkor prime is a great glass, it's visible even at that size-resolution.

Well, Fred, the rest of what's salvaged from the day is up on the site

http://www.roma57.com/the-biscuit-tin.html

down at the bottom of the gallery. I tried some b/w conversions but they didn't look good at all so next time...

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #369 on: February 27, 2011, 02:06:45 pm »

Well, Fred, the rest of what's salvaged from the day is up on the site

http://www.roma57.com/the-biscuit-tin.html

down at the bottom of the gallery. I tried some b/w conversions but they didn't look good at all so next time...

Rob C
??? what's wrong with the B&W Rob? I looked at the 6 B&W musician pics and they look perfectly fine to me.
Ps: I like the way you focus, intentionally and I suspect manually.

Rob C

« Reply #370 on: February 27, 2011, 03:00:22 pm »

??? what's wrong with the B&W Rob? I looked at the 6 B&W musician pics and they look perfectly fine to me.
Ps: I like the way you focus, intentionally and I suspect manually.

Fred -

The six b/w ones are from the first shoot a few weeks ago: the guy doing video had put up additional lights and there were better shadows to give modelling; this time, there was just the available bar lighting. The main problem is that the instruments - the sax in particular - turns into a creamy sort of nothing that reminds me of bad four-colour litho except in monotone!

Yes, intentional (if slow) focs and manual 1.8/50; I may take my af 2.8/180 this next Saturday just to see how af works, but I suppose I'll end up doing it manually...

;-)

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #371 on: February 27, 2011, 03:12:59 pm »

Fred -

The six b/w ones are from the first shoot a few weeks ago: the guy doing video had put up additional lights and there were better shadows to give modelling; this time, there was just the available bar lighting. The main problem is that the instruments - the sax in particular - turns into a creamy sort of nothing that reminds me of bad four-colour litho except in monotone!

Yes, intentional (if slow) focs and manual 1.8/50; I may take my af 2.8/180 this next Saturday just to see how af works, but I suppose I'll end up doing it manually...

;-)

Rob C
I'm sure you will end manually.
ps: I did not mean to put this little yellow face on my post, what I did was 3  ? to express the surprise, and 3"?" gives the yellow stuff...oh well, keyboard mysteries.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #372 on: February 27, 2011, 06:36:19 pm »

Thought I'd park a couple of images in here, although the second one also shows up in this thread: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=51664.0

These were both made using my little walkaround camera as I saw this on my way home - shot handheld in low light.  Both are panoramas combined using Autopano Pro and processed using both Lightroom 3 and Nik's HDR Efex Pro.

This was made from nine images - still somewhat noisy in the clouds, but not bad overall.

This was made from 120 images (40 images x 3 exposures), combined in Autopano Pro, then processed twice in HDR Efex Pro, both times slightly differently.  The first time I wanted to highlight the textures in the clouds, and the second time I set the sky to be almost completely blurred out.  I took both completed image in Lightroom and combined them using the LR/Enfuse plugin.  Turned out pretty well, I thought.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #373 on: February 28, 2011, 12:54:28 pm »

I like the delicate tree.  My attached image is a close-up of a study using four frames.  They are a scano rather than a pano, however.  I attached the camera to a small car which ran on a track.  CS4's photomerge repositioned them.  Bruce
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:57:03 pm by Bruce Cox »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #374 on: February 28, 2011, 05:49:08 pm »

Interesting piece.  I assume the white line on the bottom right edge is a part of the artwork?

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #375 on: February 28, 2011, 07:26:49 pm »

-
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #376 on: February 28, 2011, 08:07:26 pm »

Interesting piece.  I assume the white line on the bottom right edge is a part of the artwork?

Mike.

The short answer is: yes.  The long answer is: The close-up is about 2/3s of what is, unfortunately, a triangular panel.  The line is part of it topographically; the thick paint film rolls off at the edge of the sheet.  It is [I think, I did this in the fall of 09] catching the light from the top of the frame of a DeWalt LED work-light/flashlight that is shining edge on into the acrylic sheet that the paint is on.  Bruce
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:48:10 am by Bruce Cox »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #377 on: March 01, 2011, 10:01:42 am »

I would rather look at RSL's beach photo, but here is a detail.  It is of an area about an inch and a haft high.  The red and blue are pigmented; the white is air bubbles in clear medium, so glare on the edge is much like the other brightness in the picture though it would seem to have some potential for distraction here.  Bruce

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #378 on: March 01, 2011, 11:04:24 am »

Russ, lovely atmospheric image! I know this is not a critique forum, but I will anyway ;) I love how the single flying seagull is breaking the negative space. I would, however, like to see a bit more detail in the guy, as his blackness appears too aggressive within the overall grayness. Imho, of course.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #379 on: March 01, 2011, 11:27:03 am »

Slobodan, Thanks. Actually it's an allegory. The guy is aggressively intruding -- on unspoiled nature. I had hoped to do some street photography over on the gulf coast but as it turned out, for various reasons I had to substitute beach photography.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:30:21 am by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 75   Go Up