Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477993 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #340 on: February 20, 2011, 06:38:31 pm »

Riaan,

I'm sure all the denizens of this thread join me in wishing you the strength to get through this difficult time.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #341 on: February 20, 2011, 06:41:08 pm »

Fly fishing, railings and Weimaraners do not mix.  I do not wish to discuss how I know this.
My imagination comes up with all sorts of possible disasters that could result from this combination of items. Please keep your secret.

Eric

Rob C

« Reply #342 on: February 21, 2011, 02:46:30 pm »

Riaan -

Probably just as well you were not at home when the friends came calling; it's the sort of situation where I think that US-style gun laws are not quite as crazy a some believe them to be. The point being, the bad guys seem to have no problem finding them and only the folks in the white hats have difficulties. I can tell you that there have been many times when I wished I had a little Paulo Beretta tucked into my waistband when I have had to go out in winter to get wood in for the fire. There's something about being (currently) the only person in the building during the dead season; not thrilling at all.

Toke -

Dogs and the sea can be fun - our alsabrador was a great swimmer and she seemed to enjoy having somebody hang on to her tail and tow them; at least, she never complained and certainly didn't give a hint of teeth. However, there are times when dogs and small landings are dangerous if you don't think about all the possibilites. Once, her leash was tied to the railing on one such little structure here near home, and we were setting up a picnic. For some reason, she reversed and went right over the edge, and found herself hanging from said leash. I was in the water at once, and before I got to take the weight, my wife hauled her up and right over the railing with one arm: seventy-three pounds of pooch. Which just shows you how strength can come from nowhere. Not that my wife didn't have a full complement of arms, just that the other was holding on to the rail for dear life! All in all, I might as well have stayed dry.

The dog didn't develop a thing about the sea, though; she continued to love it. But then, she might have been a slow learner: she also ran and then skidded right off our terrace onto the grass, a few feet below, when her braking system couldn't cope with the tiles. The terrace wall is only about ten inches high - it's only there to retain the flowerpots from going over in the gales.

Rob C

tokengirl

« Reply #343 on: February 22, 2011, 05:28:07 pm »

Jasmine loves going out on the boat, sometimes her enthusiasm gets the best of her though.  On more than one occasion, she has gone overboard on my little flats boat (which has no railings and therefore is better for fly fishing).

On another note, I added a new toy to my collection today:  a Ricoh GXR with the 28mm module.  It's about the size of a Canon G10, but with an APS-C sized sensor.  Exactly what I wanted in a "go-everywhere" little digital.  Jasmine likes it too.

fredjeang

« Reply #344 on: February 22, 2011, 08:13:14 pm »

Jasmine loves going out on the boat, sometimes her enthusiasm gets the best of her though.  On more than one occasion, she has gone overboard on my little flats boat (which has no railings and therefore is better for fly fishing).

On another note, I added a new toy to my collection today:  a Ricoh GXR with the 28mm module.  It's about the size of a Canon G10, but with an APS-C sized sensor.  Exactly what I wanted in a "go-everywhere" little digital.  Jasmine likes it too.

Toke, I'd like to have your opinion on that Ricoh. To me the modular system they did was simply brilliant, I'm even surprise we don't see that system somewhere else instead of the old film age designs. I was very curious about that, then I forgot. And Ricoh are very good in terms of usability.
Nice to have your thoughts.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #345 on: February 22, 2011, 11:55:38 pm »

Why don't you get Jasmine to write us a nice review of your new Ricoh?
In that lovely portrait she looks to me as if she's seriously considering its pros and cons.

Eric

Rob C

« Reply #346 on: February 23, 2011, 04:39:51 am »

Nice shot, Toke.

Rob C

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #347 on: February 23, 2011, 11:12:00 am »

Fly fishing, railings and Weimaraners do not mix.  I do not wish to discuss how I know this.

Sorry for your troubles, losing files is probably the worst of it, all else can be replaced.  Hope you were not home when the "Visitors" arrived?

Toke, in a perverse way I wish I was home when it happened, the outcome would have been very different.

Talking about "mixing," flyrods don't like to mix with anything for that matter, being the fragile beasts that they are. I realy need to tie some flies sometime, the river and it's Tigerfish are calling. I'll take some photos of them first though, Tigerfish are not kind to fur and feathers.

fredjeang

« Reply #348 on: February 24, 2011, 04:52:21 pm »

Birds...Madrid 2010

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #349 on: February 24, 2011, 05:52:25 pm »

I personally really like this in the thumbnail...there I see the charm and in the negative and positive space wing dropped feathers and the soft fall to an almost hesitant breast creating another soft flurry in negative of the wings above...hidden within..those eyes...I wished you the time to stay in that moment shooting tonally, shyly, to intensify the almost tender charm... squinting at the thumbnail I like what you have seen...
A common woman~

tokengirl

« Reply #350 on: February 24, 2011, 06:23:45 pm »

Birds...Madrid 2010

Fred,

Maybe you should self-edit a little less.  :)

fredjeang

« Reply #351 on: February 24, 2011, 06:44:08 pm »

Fred,

Maybe you should self-edit a little less.  :)
Toke, this is actually not a post-prod work, the birds where done by the stylist and hairdresser for a magazine cover as you see them here and after the session I shooted some personal pictures for my self. This is one of it. All I did in that pic was a black and white convertion. You can see easily that they are plastic stuff.

Another snap from another angle.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:54:46 pm by fredjeang »

tokengirl

« Reply #352 on: February 24, 2011, 06:52:56 pm »

Well I like it even if the birds are fake.  I just think it's a well-balanced photo, both in tone and composition.

fredjeang

« Reply #353 on: February 24, 2011, 06:57:46 pm »

Well I like it even if the birds are fake.  I just think it's a well-balanced photo, both in tone and composition.
Thank you Claire and Patricia. How about the mysterious Ricoh? I was about to purchase one with the same module.

Rob C

« Reply #354 on: February 25, 2011, 05:08:21 am »

Nice shots, Fred, only one problem: we are plagued by pigeons here: they shit in the gutters and in the little tower at the top of the stairs, where they clog the drains and the ceiling falls in every second year, and the insurance refuses to help anymore... it costs the community thousands in scaffolding (andamio) and each time the guys get up there, they remove nine to twelve large black bin liners of poop... I mean they put the poop into those bags, the pigeons don't oblige.

We even tried a plastic owl up on the roof, but I have a shot somewhere of birds sitting on its head. I wonder if the model knows that?

Being just on the border of suburban we can't shoot, and poison is too radical for the other, non-offensive wildlife. Nature has lost its balance - must be tourism to blame.

Rob C

Found the pigeons.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:22:18 am by Rob C »

tokengirl

« Reply #355 on: February 25, 2011, 05:34:37 am »

How about the mysterious Ricoh?

I'll have a chance to give it a good workout over the weekend, I'll give you a full report.  So far I like it, it feels good in the hand.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #356 on: February 25, 2011, 07:59:49 am »

Toke, this is actually not a post-prod work, the birds where done by the stylist and hairdresser for a magazine cover as you see them here and after the session I shooted some personal pictures for my self. This is one of it. All I did in that pic was a black and white convertion. You can see easily that they are plastic stuff.

Another snap from another angle.

Fred.. Dark, full of ghosts, a wonderful uncertain warmth...another like for me... Do you know the work of Lillian Bassman? George Hoyningen-Huene? I'm not sure just what is your daywork that allows you these moments aside to shoot for yourself... I really like what bring here in your images...
A common woman~

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #357 on: February 25, 2011, 08:07:23 am »

Rob C

Found the pigeons.

...doves, ritual of welcome...
A common woman~

fredjeang

« Reply #358 on: February 25, 2011, 09:08:28 am »

Fred.. Dark, full of ghosts, a wonderful uncertain warmth...another like for me... Do you know the work of Lillian Bassman? George Hoyningen-Huene? I'm not sure just what is your daywork that allows you these moments aside to shoot for yourself... I really like what bring here in your images...
Thanks Patricia. I did knew the Lilian's works but not Huene and it's been a nice discovery. Well, you touched a point.

I actually have zero time to work seriously on my own stuff. What really blocks me are not that much the stills but the video side in the sense that I had to dedicate a lot of hours (I mean a lot) on the learning curve. It did also brought me mess into my own path because I'm very enthusiastic with this medium and deserted logically quite a lot the stills while in the learning process. Now I'm still in it but I've done the hardest part so I have less pressure and things will acomodate by themselves.

I was also very busy trying to get a new studio (loft type) where I can both work and live but my resistance to move outside downtown (I hate suburbs ugliness) made all the search a sort of time consuming. I saw some wonderfull spaces but you just go out and there is not even a bar to have your coffee, or they where located in the middle of those horrible offices buildings in those new unpersonal districts. I still have not find the right place but yesterday I saw another area that is berable. So, yes, my personal work is completly paralised since at least september and I must admit that this is not very desirable.

Then, another phenomenon is that more I'm learning as an assistant, less I know what I really want to do. I'm getting better, I know more things and have more skills than before, but the irony is that I have no bloody idea of what I want to do with all that. I like to work with women, but on the other hand the fashion or editorial does not fullfill me (if it's the quality of Lillian I'd sign anyway). I'm sure it's a process and things will come naturaly on the right time as Rob suggested to me one day. I just release it and allow things to come at their right time.
I've discovered that resistance, or pushing things does not bring results. So, I accept that fact and maybe I even feel more exited in the sense that I allow the unknown. I honestly do not know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:10:12 am by fredjeang »

Rob C

« Reply #359 on: February 25, 2011, 02:26:03 pm »

Fred

Yes, things will happen in their own time. Your part is to be ready. When I was a kid just about to return from India, an Indian girl in school signed my autograph book on the last day with this little remark: 'the secret of success is to be ready when your opportunity comes.' I think that's a great motto for life.

(Until now, I never realised that she might have meant something quite else and much more personal. I was fifteen going on sixteen and she around the same age... heysoos, I must have been blind! Girls are always ahead of the boys.)

I have only once seen the sort of apartment you speak about. It belonged to a client of mine in the IWS and it was a very long sitting room with rooms off. One end would have made a great 'plateau' (love that expression - thanks!) with all the comforts of home... except that instead of a roof, it was a basement. But I always liked electronic in the studio anyway.

Patricia, do you know that Bassman gave up fashion when the stylists, hair and makeup people became important and invaded the plateau? Her modus operandi was identical with mine: our girls knew what to do by themselves and we worked within a minimalist setup. As a rĂ´le model for Fred - I don't know.

But, Fred, the right thing will come, for you as it did for me. Just be ready to grab when it does.

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:32:27 pm by Rob C »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 75   Go Up