Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 478136 times)

tokengirl

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2010, 06:58:59 pm »

About Claire's boats. Yeah, all that is unfair! I imagine her, with the dog and the 35mm film exotic camera, and the most dramatic is that she probably wears a bathing suit because the beaches are just on the corner and the average temperature never goes down to 20 celcius grades.

If it makes you feel any better, I usually wear long pants, long sleeves and a hat to protect my skin from the sun (and mosquitos sometimes).

Rob C

« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2010, 05:08:57 am »

"If it makes you feel any better, I usually wear long pants, long sleeves and a hat to protect my skin from the sun (and mosquitos sometimes)."

And she kills fish! I only eat them.

Toke, you must post a proper self-portrait some time; seems like Cindy Sherman would have very strong competition...!

Fred, I watched Sky News for some minutes this morning and the weather report said still warm in the Med... where are these people looking? It's freezing! There was snow up on Tomir, the mountain behind Pollensa, and I had lunch looking at a hailstorm the other day. I do believe that weather people just read a lot.

Rob C

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2010, 07:30:44 am »

Fred, thanks.  I have been using an Epson V750 for scanning film.  It's okay, but not spectacular.  Certainly good enough for posting on the web, or for batch scanning at lower resolution to pick your selects.  And very handy for multiple formats.

However, I started experimenting with something this morning:  photographing my Kodachrome slides on a lightbox with my 5DMkII and 100mm macro lens.  The results are absolutely stunning compared to the V750.  The colors are dead on.  Once I get the workflow all sorted out, I will put up a post with details and samples.

Quick sample (Fuji Astia/Xpan):

this may be a silly question, but i wonder what kind of lightbox you use...i mean i've read about this way of duping neg's and slides, so I wonder, a lightbox with what kind of light source as a minimum?...or can it be any kind of box, translucent plastic/glass back lit with a bulb?...something i can even make at home?...

ah, and here's a b&w conversion i did recently...fabulous tree near home...

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 07:33:46 am by Morris Taub »

tokengirl

« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2010, 09:53:24 am »

this may be a silly question, but i wonder what kind of lightbox you use...i mean i've read about this way of duping neg's and slides, so I wonder, a lightbox with what kind of light source as a minimum?...or can it be any kind of box, translucent plastic/glass back lit with a bulb?...something i can even make at home?...

ah, and here's a b&w conversion i did recently...fabulous tree near home...

Not a silly question at all.  I use this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194987-REG/Hakuba_KLV_5700_5_x_7_Lightviewer.html

It has a 5000K bulb and it is a very even light source.  Compact, slim design, comes with a nice neoprene case.  I give it two thumbs up.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2010, 11:26:02 am »

I imagine her, with the dog and the 35mm film exotic camera, and the most dramatic is that she probably wears a bathing suit because the beaches are just on the corner and the average temperature never goes down to 20 celcius grades.

And then she goes and adds to the illusion by being handy with a flyrod too..I don't know if anybody here has fished with the "long rod" or fished at all for that matter, but watching a woman flycasting is just beautifull. There is a fluidity and gracefullness in the rythm of their casting that comes naturally to the fairer species.   

Rob C

« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2010, 12:49:00 pm »

And then she goes and adds to the illusion by being handy with a flyrod too..I don't know if anybody here has fished with the "long rod" or fished at all for that matter, but watching a woman flycasting is just beautifull. There is a fluidity and gracefullness in the rythm of their casting that comes naturally to the fairer species.   

Riann, not just when they fish - for real fish (which, unfortunately, has escaped me); have you watched the skilled ones walk and dance when they fish for something else? That's really something else - makes you happy even just watching as the useless bystander.

Regarding the question about lightboxes. I have, and still use, a Kodak Transparency Viewer Model 3 which came with daylight tubes. I once bought a portable model, from some other maker, that looks like a Samsonite briefcase. It was expensive, uses a single bulb or tube, I think I remember (so could never illuminate evenly), and sucks. For this to work with few problems you have to get correct colour temperature for the job: viewing transparencies meant daylight temp. It's also a good way of quick proofing if you buy LF film formats, but beware that you usually end up using only a section of the copy camera's format... sort of defeats the original large format concept for anything other than web or proofing. In fact, 6x6 comes off worse than 6x7 or, obviously, 6x9 which does best. Don't think I'd want to try it for copying 35mm originals, though; asking a lot from camera/box alignment, should you have no dedicated copy stand.

Have fun!

Rob C

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2010, 01:14:23 pm »

Riann, not just when they fish - for real fish (which, unfortunately, has escaped me); have you watched the skilled ones walk and dance when they fish for something else? That's really something else - makes you happy even just watching as the useless bystander.
Rob C

Yeah..I could stare for hours and have done so.

tokengirl

« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2010, 05:34:20 pm »

It gets worse.  I tie my own flies too.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2010, 07:36:07 pm »

Not a silly question at all.  I use this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194987-REG/Hakuba_KLV_5700_5_x_7_Lightviewer.html

It has a 5000K bulb and it is a very even light source.  Compact, slim design, comes with a nice neoprene case.  I give it two thumbs up.

thanks tg...

tokengirl

« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2010, 07:48:05 pm »

About the lightbox, yes, Claire, if you could find an old MF film camera, the guys I was talking to told me that they used this macro technique with MF film in lightbox and that was amazing. A portable MF camera like this one: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/06/17/the-fuji-gf670-film-camera-review-medium-format-lives/
if you like to walk easy.

Actually, the next camera on my list is a Mamiya 7 with the 43mm and 65mm lenses.  It's even lighter than the Fuji, and has stellar interchangeable lenses.  Then after that, perhaps a Hasselblad Flexbody might be fun.  Or a small view camera that uses roll film backs - that might be a better choice.

Rob C

« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2010, 04:05:48 am »

It gets worse.  I tie my own flies too.

That's nothing: I tie my own shoe laces! You're playing with the big boys here, you know.

Rob C

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2010, 04:51:11 am »

Not a silly question at all.  I use this:

It has a 5000K bulb and it is a very even light source.  Compact, slim design, comes with a nice neoprene case.  I give it two thumbs up.

oh, what about how you keep the film flat...do you have film holders or something to keep the film plane parallel to the light box?...

I've been interested in this method for a while now...I mean i read an article on scanning in a french mag (found the issue this morning), Reponses Photo/march 2010 issue, and one alternative to scanners was using a digital cam with a macro lens...they recommended a 60mm in their article...I'm thinking i may even hunt down a relatively inexpensive manual focus ai-s macro for my D700...in their article they use a slide duplication thing to shoot on, something called a Multiblitz...what also intrigues is their idea about bracketing a b&w neg and then using what you need off of the files to print what you need or to create the new digital file...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:56:59 am by Morris Taub »

tokengirl

« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2010, 05:05:20 am »

oh, what about how you keep the film flat...do you have film holders or something to keep the film plane parallel to the light box?...

for 35mm film, I am using an old Beseler negative carrier from an enlarger, with little bits of blue painters tape.  For the Xpan slide, I just used the blue tape to tape it down to the lightbox, but I will probably make some kind of mask.  I saw something on RFF where a guy used that fridge magnet material to make a mask and it worked great, so I may try that.

Rob C

« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2010, 05:52:34 am »

for 35mm film, I am using an old Beseler negative carrier from an enlarger, with little bits of blue painters tape.  For the Xpan slide, I just used the blue tape to tape it down to the lightbox, but I will probably make some kind of mask.  I saw something on RFF where a guy used that fridge magnet material to make a mask and it worked great, so I may try that.

A large black card mask to cover the rest of the lightbox is essential; if not, you are just shooting into the light, not digital's best side. Also, keep the ambient light switched off; film surfaces reflect light too, as well as transmit!

Rob C

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2010, 10:37:37 am »

A large black card mask to cover the rest of the lightbox is essential; if not, you are just shooting into the light, not digital's best side. Also, keep the ambient light switched off; film surfaces reflect light too, as well as transmit!

Rob C

ok, tg, rob, thanks for all the good advice...

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2010, 12:04:05 pm »

It gets worse.  I tie my own flies too.

OK Toke enough now, have some compassion please.

Your fly picture brings up a question on my side, having been a rather good flytier in my previous life ( wrote articles for national publications etc and what nots) there seems to be an opportunity for photographing them- well I would need to tie new ones of course as the ones I have are riddled with fishmoths. Would seem easier than the damn insects that are in perpetual motion but would throw a spanner in the works as there would then be two spheres of "creativity" unleashed onto the unsuspecting world and viewer.     

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2010, 01:20:06 pm »

OK Toke enough now, have some compassion please.

Your fly picture brings up a question on my side, having been a rather good flytier in my previous life ( wrote articles for national publications etc and what nots) there seems to be an opportunity for photographing them- well I would need to tie new ones of course as the ones I have are riddled with fishmoths. Would seem easier than the damn insects that are in perpetual motion but would throw a spanner in the works as there would then be two spheres of "creativity" unleashed onto the unsuspecting world and viewer.     
From Toke's example I'd say it looks like a very promising new genre. I say that as one whose interest in fish and lures is limited to what lands on my dinner plate.

We've already got threads here on Clouds, Rocks, and Trees, so why not one on Photographer-built Flies?

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2010, 02:09:58 pm »

From Toke's example I'd say it looks like a very promising new genre. I say that as one whose interest in fish and lures is limited to what lands on my dinner plate.We've already got threads here on Clouds, Rocks, and Trees, so why not one on Photographer-built Flies?

Eric

Make sure that the fly has been de-hooked, then, before you eat!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2010, 02:46:45 pm »

Okay, another one especially for Toke, our resident sailor.

Location, location, location: Bal Harbour, eat your heart out!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:05:16 pm by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2010, 03:38:14 pm »

Two impressions from my recent Chicago river walk, Dec 4th, the day of the first snow in 2010:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 75   Go Up