Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477897 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2010, 07:41:14 pm »

Eric, I am! Not that I've ever owned one, worst luck, but that's exactly where my dream car is located.

Actually, there's another verison, somewhat older than the '59 that also has fins and boobs instead of sunglasses on its head.

No, not even a DeSoto nor a Kaiser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igXdVIkPYxY

Ahhhhhh..!

Rob C
Rob,
I must be getting senile in my old age. I was right that the '59 had the biggest tailfins ever, but I mis-remembered the boobs, which I thought were also the '59. But here is a U-tube that shows the '57 with the boobs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOlHpcu1EwE&feature=related

I suppose you could put the '57 front end onto a '59 and have the best Caddy ever.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2010, 04:59:53 am »

'cuda was the first thought that came to mind.  Or Charger, or Roadrunner...

Mike.

Nope, and certainly no Plymouth because surely, you didn't think I'd have been moved to photograph one of those, did you?

I'm sorry that I don't have the companion tranny anymore which shows the entire car from the side, but I think it does reside somewhere in a grid of pics on the cover of my 1980 Hewden/Stuart Group calendar which we shot in the Bahamas. If I find it (I think I know where it is), I'll copy it, the front page, with that 105 Nik. micro I bought some time ago and have been wondering what to do with recently ;-)

Actually, when  all is revealed you'll kick yourselves for missing the blatantly obvious.

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:57:04 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2010, 05:09:52 am »

Rob,
I must be getting senile in my old age. I was right that the '59 had the biggest tailfins ever, but I mis-remembered the boobs, which I thought were also the '59. But here is a U-tube that shows the '57 with the boobs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOlHpcu1EwE&feature=related

I suppose you could put the '57 front end onto a '59 and have the best Caddy ever.

Eric

Eric, why are you concerned? Senility and a certain age do go together; it's the mismatching of age and senility, like mismatching tail and boobs, that causes trouble. But, if you look at it from another angle, had they kept the best parts from '57 and '59 you'd have the ideal, as you suggest. I've said before, I wonder why Detroit didn't just make them smaller instead of abandoning the flamboyant in favour of the jelly mould? The ugliest Brit Ford must have been the Sierra, regardless of how hot some were made; what purpose power if without glamour? At least that's something the Italians understand.

Wheelspinners, instead of fins? Blame the ghetto and video.

Rob C

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2010, 12:11:51 pm »

No prizes, but can anyone identify make and model?

Rob C

Certainly not Italian- their cars don't do aerials and big stickers in the window very well. Sorry but I don't know Rob.

Rob C

« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2010, 03:45:50 pm »

Certainly not Italian- their cars don't do aerials and big stickers in the window very well. Sorry but I don't know Rob.

Hi, and thanks for reminding me about that car: I have found the old '80 Hewden/Stuart Group calendar and my memory was right this time - the other shot of it (the car) shows enough to make it crystal clear. Well, the calendar itself is pretty messed up, and only the top half, the pictures section remains; the lower half, with the sheets of dates, was wiro-binding suspended from the backing board of the top bit and it carried its own little cover and the shooting credits, plus the individual company's name which, being for a group of over forty firms, was some print order to handle! But, the right guys got the right ones.

Anyway, I don't want to shoot it tonight in the strip light of the office, so if tomorrow is dry I have an appointment with the terrace table!

Rob C

EDIT: What am I thinking about? A brick wall is better!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:55:48 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2010, 05:04:19 pm »

I'm not normally particularly superstitious, but this place, Aphrodite's Birthplace, in Cyprus, gave both my wife and myself the creeps. It's down a relatively small slope from the main coastal highway, but she insisted we stop the car and that she walk down to the beach. Anyway, I shot two cassettes of Kodachrome on this bottle/packaging still life (one such was shot in each model location) and the client shot our picture as we worked (this is his shot) setting up and doing it. The result? Two rolls of jet black film. And I always used alternate Nikons to prevent just such events from a single camera body.

On an earlier shoot in that location for a fashion manufacturer (Twomax), the model went into the water about, say, two yards out. The shingle just kept giving way underfoot as she tried to get back onto the dry. I had to go help, and I began to think I wasn't making it either. I would never return there.

On the then/now thing: two people doing a calendar shoot with still life and model shots too. Rare today...

Main reason to post: shows I did have hair at the end of the seventies, and my wife still had the shirt off my back anytime she wanted to. Now, the ponytail covers only a very thin streak down the same neck. But, I do wear a baseball cap, not that I'd know how to play baseball.

Isn't life amazing?

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 02:27:34 pm by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2010, 05:35:47 pm »

Hey Rob, small world… guess who was shooting there too :)

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:37:24 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2010, 09:17:21 pm »

Policing Thai style.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Rob C

« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2010, 03:49:19 am »

Hey Rob, small world… guess who was shooting there too :)

Not only shooting there, but standing on the same rocks, I think!

I even recognize the delightful camera... but mine wasn't there that time. Do you remember the year?

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2010, 06:27:38 am »

I'm sure I remember a thread dedicate to the subject matter, but a trawl through them fails to reveal the heading, so here goes:-

More beauty on the beach. Too late for Colgate.

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 02:27:53 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2010, 10:01:18 am »

Rob,

Eric

Okay before you all fall asleep, here's the dénouement, possibly best enjoyed to the tune of Silver Lady.

Told you it was obvious - all in the colour.

You may wonder why the interest in US cars on the cover of a pin up calendar: well, to a Glasgow lad, US cars were always going to be something quite interesting in the forbidden fruit manner and, as I had the choice and thought the Ford Torino rather exciting in its alien way...  

I suppose some might think that's a Ford made in Italy, but there's nothing as odd as folks.

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 02:28:22 pm by Rob C »

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2010, 12:52:04 pm »

Looks like a nice calendar, Rob. But I see my problem: 1980 was after I stopped looking much at cars (even though by about that time my then two-year-old son could spot any vintage of Volvo and announce it enthusiastically).

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

tokengirl

« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2010, 04:15:41 pm »

Back to the water.  Or very close by:

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2010, 04:38:59 pm »

… Do you remember the year?

1999… just not sure if B.C. or A.D.  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2010, 04:02:57 am »

1999… just not sure if B.C. or A.D.  ;)

Told you the place was unlucky: at the end of '99 all the world's computers might have crashed!

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2010, 03:45:34 pm »

Back to the water.  Or very close by:

Love it. I really like your film series. With what do you scan?

tokengirl

« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2010, 09:48:30 pm »

Love it. I really like your film series. With what do you scan?

Fred, thanks.  I have been using an Epson V750 for scanning film.  It's okay, but not spectacular.  Certainly good enough for posting on the web, or for batch scanning at lower resolution to pick your selects.  And very handy for multiple formats.

However, I started experimenting with something this morning:  photographing my Kodachrome slides on a lightbox with my 5DMkII and 100mm macro lens.  The results are absolutely stunning compared to the V750.  The colors are dead on.  Once I get the workflow all sorted out, I will put up a post with details and samples.

Quick sample (Fuji Astia/Xpan):

Rob C

« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2010, 04:41:21 am »

Fred, thanks.  I have been using an Epson V750 for scanning film.  It's okay, but not spectacular.  Certainly good enough for posting on the web, or for batch scanning at lower resolution to pick your selects.  And very handy for multiple formats.

However, I started experimenting with something this morning:  photographing my Kodachrome slides on a lightbox with my 5DMkII and 100mm macro lens.  The results are absolutely stunning compared to the V750.  The colors are dead on.  Once I get the workflow all sorted out, I will put up a post with details and samples.

Quick sample (Fuji Astia/Xpan):

Hi Toke

Great minds think alike.

That's exactly what I did with my 6x6 trannies that I couldn't scan. Used the D700 and 105 Micro Nikkor to great effect. Just cut a mask within a large black cardboard sheet and placed it over the slide taped to the lightbox. Perfect. The originals were Ektachrome.

I wish I'd kept my Durst: it was wall-mounted and would have been a cinch to convert to copy stand! I always did say that as soon as I dump something I end up wishing I had not; space is the problem. Also, I really, really don't need two cars, either, so it's a somewhat of a flawed logic...

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2010, 05:16:43 am »

Well, I think you got it.
Not a long time ago, I was having a coffee (bars are my personal training school) with the owner of a company that do huge enlargements for cities urbanism projects and I asked him about the scanning and guess what? they use exactly the same approach as Claire is experimenting.

Rob C

« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2010, 11:08:08 am »

Fred

I like some (few) coffee shops/bars too, but the ones I find are not thriving, thrusting, throbbing hives of creative conversation. Rather, they are small and 'hanging on by the skin of their teeth' family operations feeling the hole in the Spanish economy bigtime. I remember having lunches in my local one a couple of years ago and it was full, every time, of local workmen having their coffee and cognac. Yesterday, I was the only eater. Nobody was propping up the bar for most of the meal. I'm starting to get a conscience about being able to buy a meal!

As a prelude to being a shadow of my former self, here's a shot of a young lady cooling off on my terrace one day.

I can't shoot that shot anymore, with anyone. The wooden door, despite repeated varnishing with marine varnish every year, finally rotted. We had two joinery companies come to quote for a replacement - not one came back after taking the measurements (the door, not the girl, she was long gone), including the firm that made the original one for us. So, in frustration, we had it walled up. The other side of the terrace is still as per original one, but it just shows you how much of a killer direct weather can be. I would hate to live on the shoreline; need a new everything every five years! Just like one of Toke's boats, come to think of it.

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:03:16 pm by Rob C »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 75   Go Up